No level cap

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: No level cap

Post by Drool » April 25th, 2017, 9:25 pm

sear wrote:
April 25th, 2017, 2:15 pm
I've seen people mention that no level cap in those games reduces the consequence of character building. Seems like it goes both ways depending on who you ask or the game in question. :lol:
If you want a level cap, it seems a good metric would be to add up all the available XP in the game based on a max-gaining person, minus random encounters, and then add a certain amount, say 10%, and put the cap there. That way, most people probably wouldn't reach it without a lot of grinding.

And, for the love of God, if you're going to add NG+, raise the cap.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

GodComplex
Master

Post by GodComplex » April 25th, 2017, 11:45 pm

sear wrote:
April 25th, 2017, 2:15 pm
GodComplex wrote:
April 24th, 2017, 2:18 pm
Bethesda puts level caps in their games. Does anyone want to be like Bethesda? I think not.
I've seen people mention that no level cap in those games reduces the consequence of character building. Seems like it goes both ways depending on who you ask or the game in question. :lol:
I think we went over that during WL2. I believe the argument was that given an infinite amount of time, someone could master all possible skills, and as there is an infinite amount of time in games (and immortal PCs), why not? I would argue it would only diminish character builds if you could easily exceed, in excess, the ideal level over the course of normal play. So, if you ideally want to be around 50 by game end, but can hit 70 with minimal grinding, then it would diminish characters.
1/3 of my brain says blue radiation might be cool
1/3 says stop being overcritical
1/3 says a Baby Ruth could have prevented this situation
~Damoriel

Mole204
Explorer

Post by Mole204 » April 26th, 2017, 12:32 am

Diminish characters? Unless there's an "age" tracker that makes no sense. If you can hit level 70 with minimal grinding (starting from when I may ask!) then you're only trimming what the player can do and likely may want to do. That doesn't make it a level cap, that makes it a truncated game. They could be playing it instead of, thanks to the cap, not. If they put in the time, why shouldn't they get the results? Obvious Bad Calls like that are why fans make modpatches.
They didn't have a level cap in WL1, and I think the game benefited from it. I could call it in at the end of a week of on again/ off again playing and jump a dozen levels. Just another way the open-ended ending of Wl1 was better than the "game over, it's over" of WL2.
The only angle that a level cap in WL2 should be allowed is if WL3 takes the level cap to a much higher number- for all the "'port your save file" players. Run, be free, destroy! :lol:
I for one hope to port my save in WL3 and hit the ground running.