I know it's too late, but can you ditch Unity and switch to UE4?

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

swdgame
Initiate

I know it's too late, but can you ditch Unity and switch to UE4?

Post by swdgame » March 5th, 2017, 1:22 am

I cannot believe a game like TTON would face framerate issues on PS4, a console that delievers Horizon Dawn, which has great graphics, animations, lightings and most importantly functioning AI.

Considering what happened when Wasteland 2, and after watching Wasteland 3 teaser, I am extremely concerned right now. Unity is after all, a game engine designed for prototyping, small sized and mobile games.

And besides, most of 3D artists and animators you can hire for Unity is probably guys who works on mobile games anyway.

I understand that the story is of most importance. But there is no reason why we cannot have better graphics, better performance.

As a fellow programmer who have worked on both Unity and Unreal Engine 4, I sincerely suggest inXile to ditch Unity and switch to UE4.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Re: I know it's too late, but can you ditch Unity and switch to UE4?

Post by Gizmo » March 5th, 2017, 7:18 am

AFAIK, BT4 uses Unreal 4. ;)

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 5th, 2017, 10:40 pm

Gizmo wrote:AFAIK, BT4 uses Unreal 4. ;)
This is the WL3 forum ;)
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » March 6th, 2017, 1:35 am

Didn't Torment use the engine from Obsidians Pillars of Eternity?
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » March 6th, 2017, 2:21 am

Drool wrote:
This is the WL3 forum ;)
That's okay; the point is that InXile seems to have become an Unreal 4 shop; that was the only skill set they asked me about.

Euclidean
Novice

Post by Euclidean » March 6th, 2017, 9:06 am

Grohal wrote:Didn't Torment use the engine from Obsidians Pillars of Eternity?
Yes, which is a modified version of the unity engine.

swdgame
Initiate

Post by swdgame » March 6th, 2017, 10:08 pm

Gizmo wrote:
Drool wrote:
This is the WL3 forum ;)
That's okay; the point is that InXile seems to have become an Unreal 4 shop; that was the only skill set they asked me about.
I watched that teaser for BT4 and it looks promising. I really enjoyed Grimrock, but it's so focused on puzzles. I want some stories and epic adventures!

Jozape
Explorer

Post by Jozape » March 7th, 2017, 11:47 am

Gizmo wrote:
Drool wrote:
This is the WL3 forum ;)
Were you applying for any position or a specific one? Though BT4 uses UE4, WL3's Fig page still says the game uses Unity. Unity seems to run badly on the PS4 and XB1 though, so I wouldn't be surprised if inXile switched to UE4 for WL3.
swdgame wrote:I watched that teaser for BT4 and it looks promising. I really enjoyed Grimrock, but it's so focused on puzzles. I want some stories and epic adventures!
I had the opposite impression. While the audio and video aspects are very impressive, the automatic dialogue from the player-characters immediately raises red flags. They seem to have personalities of their own. I don't know what the original Bard's Tale is like, but that's not what I expect from a role-playing game from inXile. I'll let the Bard's Tale fans argue about that though.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » March 7th, 2017, 6:39 pm

Jozape wrote:Were you applying for any position or a specific one?
No, at the time there hadn't been any job opening's posted yet (not as far as I knew).
Jozape wrote:While the audio and video aspects are very impressive, the automatic dialogue from the player-characters immediately raises red flags. They seem to have personalities of their own. I don't know what the original Bard's Tale is like, but that's not what I expect from a role-playing game from inXile. I'll let the Bard's Tale fans argue about that though.
In the first [3] Bard's Tale games, the PCs were a statistics page, and an archetype [class] image. What personality one saw was cursing at new threatening encounters. :lol: (And that might not have even been them; I think it was narration.)

**However... We seem to differ greatly in expectations about roleplaying games. IMO a blank-slate "RPG" is about the worst kind you can play... There is no role to speak of; unlike Witcher and Planescape for example. Even the Baldur's Gate and Fallout games [,the real ones and Bethesda's] impose a history, past acquaintances, and an agenda for the PC. Games like Oblivion & Skyrim present the player with an adult infant PC with no history, no appreciable skills, seemingly no means of having survived to their present age; no one who remembers them from before then... and absolutely no responsibilities or boundaries on what they might or might not do. IE. you cannot play out of character when there is no character to play. :evil: It's like they fell out of a hole in the sky one night, and started wandering around the town. :?

That kind of game is designed around a player's outright substitution of themselves for the PC ~which as a character is basically just in the way.
It also means they don't have to really write anything character specific.

Jozape
Explorer

Post by Jozape » March 7th, 2017, 8:55 pm

Gizmo wrote:**However... We seem to differ greatly in expectations about roleplaying games. IMO a blank-slate "RPG" is about the worst kind you can play... There is no role to speak of; unlike Witcher and Planescape for example.
Planescape: Torment has a blank-slate PC in terms of personality though. I can determine TNO's personality and work within the limitations of the game to explore that in the game. That TNO has a history and dormant memories doesn't prevent me from doing so.
Even the Baldur's Gate and Fallout games [,the real ones and Bethesda's] impose a history, past acquaintances, and an agenda for the PC.
But I can design a PC around these things in those games. Automatic dialogue is much more difficult because I have no idea what's going to happen most of the time.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » March 8th, 2017, 3:38 am

Jozape wrote:...
And it's good in both cases.
TNO is a 25th level adventurer ~in each class, but can resurrect with no memory of it, and no memory of self or previous ethics. But the world(s) is filled with people who used to know him.

The PC in BG1 is known by many in Candle Keep, and the PC in Fallout is known by the entire [1000+/-] vault, as the [next] one to search for the waterchip. Good or bad, we know that each PC had a structured upbringing, and family of a sort. In Fallout's case, the game will abandon the player if the player abandon's the Vault. 8-)

swdgame
Initiate

Post by swdgame » March 8th, 2017, 9:13 am

Jozape wrote:
Gizmo wrote:
Drool wrote: This is the WL3 forum ;)
Were you applying for any position or a specific one? Though BT4 uses UE4, WL3's Fig page still says the game uses Unity. Unity seems to run badly on the PS4 and XB1 though, so I wouldn't be surprised if inXile switched to UE4 for WL3.
swdgame wrote:I watched that teaser for BT4 and it looks promising. I really enjoyed Grimrock, but it's so focused on puzzles. I want some stories and epic adventures!
I had the opposite impression. While the audio and video aspects are very impressive, the automatic dialogue from the player-characters immediately raises red flags. They seem to have personalities of their own. I don't know what the original Bard's Tale is like, but that's not what I expect from a role-playing game from inXile. I'll let the Bard's Tale fans argue about that though.
Relax, it's just a demo to showcase environment and combat. Panic when they show the actual role-playing side of the game. And I think they are still way way early in development, the weird UI will be fixed.

Blindchance
Scholar

Post by Blindchance » April 18th, 2017, 5:42 am

It would work, considering XCOM series use UE3.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » April 24th, 2017, 1:25 am

Yeah, Unity does suck. I still get screen-tearing on both Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity and V-sync does not seem to help.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » April 24th, 2017, 2:58 am

Personally I never got the hate against Unity - all Unity games I played (PoE, WL2, Shadowrun, TTON for RPGs, and many indie or semi-indie strategy games) always worked with smoothly, with decent performances and very few bugs. But might be because I'm a Linux user, I don't know about the Windows world.

Jozape
Explorer

Post by Jozape » April 24th, 2017, 3:42 am

Crosmando wrote:
April 24th, 2017, 1:25 am
Yeah, Unity does suck. I still get screen-tearing on both Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity and V-sync does not seem to help.
It's amazing that we're still dealing with v-sync issues in 2017. This is a really fundamental thing that shouldn't ever happen. Sliced retina should be unacceptable. :(

sear
Developer

Post by sear » April 24th, 2017, 9:02 am

Wasteland 3 is building on years of code and assets created for Wasteland 2 and the Director's Cut, and throwing it away would mean starting all of that over. That would be a poor use of our resources, and it would be a missed opportunity to expand and improve on what is already there.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » April 24th, 2017, 10:58 pm

kilobug wrote:
April 24th, 2017, 2:58 am
Personally I never got the hate against Unity
It tends to be very resource intensive compared to what you get out of it. I mean, people were using WL2 as a benchmarking tool, it was such a hog.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » April 26th, 2017, 12:55 am

Also memory leaks.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

CymTyr
Initiate

Post by CymTyr » July 29th, 2017, 9:20 pm

I realize it's too late as well, but I'm throwing my name into the hat of UE fans. Unity is ok, but I don't think it's really a superb engine in any stretch of the imagination. On a beefy pc it runs everything fine, so I have no performance complaints with my FX-8320 and GTX 1060, but I ended up trading in my PS4 copy of TTON because of performance issues (I do not have a PS4 Pro). It just wasn't enjoyable on the PS4, though I did complete my GOG version just fine ;)
"I tried so hard, and got so far, but in the end it doesn't even matter. I had to fall to lose it all, and in the end, it doesn't even matter...."

RIP Chester!