In Service to the Brand

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Drool
Forum Moderator

In Service to the Brand

Post by Drool » March 4th, 2017, 10:17 pm

Alwa nasci korliri das.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Re: In Service to the Brand

Post by Zombra » March 5th, 2017, 1:13 am

Wonderful, thoughtful article. Gave me hope for the future just seeing it - but of course I'm not a dev. :)

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » March 5th, 2017, 7:23 am

I wish they had picked FO3 to demonstrate for that video instead of Bioshock.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 5th, 2017, 10:42 pm

All I can say is, when they were talking about Vigors being included "because Bioshock" all I could think of was WL2's implementation of Toaster Repair...
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Mole204
Explorer

Post by Mole204 » March 8th, 2017, 10:58 pm

The video does make some good points, but (switching to WL) if it wasn't for the "in service to the brand" content, WL2 would have been unrecognizable as an entry in the WL series.
Wl3 needs more good play experience then 2 had. 2 didn't have as much enjoy-ability as 1. And if 2 had been Fountain of Dreams or the like, your guess is as good as mine if it would it have been as enjoyable as WL1 or even the graphically overextended Wl2. Wl2 wasn't supposed to be a Fallout clone, and it's iffy if it would have managed to do that. WL2 managed at least a few self-referential "are you kidding me"'s about the toaster repair. Wl2 was it's own thing, but it got a lot just plain wrong. (it got stuff totally in the right, though. Starting off in the WL territory alone was a great foundation.) I think that keeping a measure of "in the brand" items, name-drops, and locations is a very good idea. This isn't Fallout, and it isn't meant to be a generic "drop the bomb and start getting killed by leather bikers" game. With wl3 being created in InXile's mysterious (computer) labs as we speak, there's nothing wrong with questioning (read: worrying) the direction that they're going to steer the game. In other words: What are they going to ruin this time? Does adding a few in the series stocking stuffers make up for all the dumb ideas that we haven't had to put up with yet? (and yes, foul language goes down as both dumb, tiresome, AND generic. If you can't do better than that then you aren't a fiction writer and I question if you're an adult.) There's many way that just reusing WL2 is all that's needed. But what will the programmers do to overreach themselves? We don't need drifting clouds and photorealistic bushes. If Wl3 is set in Colorado, what will they just rip from "let's just watch ten minutes of Dallas, ten minutes of Walker texas ranger, and drink coffee" and expect "let's add some names from WL1 to grave markers" to cover it? Where's the rationality? And where's the ability to make sense out of a stupid situation? And choosing Unity still seems to be a questionable decision on the best of days. :shrug:

Bulo
Initiate

Post by Bulo » March 10th, 2017, 12:57 am

A large number of the things that made Wasteland so unique in the '80s are now every-day mechanics.
When you start stripping down these kinds of games, you find it's hard to capture the original "feeling."

A good example is Fallout. If you strip the original game down to its bare bones, there's not much to it.
The biggest theme is probably that you have all of these people living in a horrific world with nothing to look forwards to, but they're all making the best of it and aren't really taking much of it that seriously.
Stylistically, things are decrepit and hyper-violent. A conscious decision was made to make the music depressing.

None of the sequels managed to properly capture the feeling the of the original game, so the only real holdovers were lore-based and stylistic.
That's not to say the sequels weren't interesting, they just delivered the universe to you in a different way.

Wasteland, however, is harder to get a feeling for, considering how it was simpler than Fallout in almost every way. You're mostly trying not to die in an incredibly harsh WASTELAND while solving everyone's problems. There's a bit of fun in it, but it's mostly meta. Therefor, the sequels have to take initiative to create an interesting theme. Wasteland 2 wasn't too innovative in that regard. It basically pulled a Force Awakens and remade the original game in a 21st century engine.

Wasteland 3 definitely looks a lot more interesting. The design document gives me high hopes.
The blistering cold of high Colorado. Rebuilding and maintaining the new home base and its Rangers. The talking heads. The anomalies. The vehicles.
They're actually developing their game world, giving it identity. That's what it really needs. Not toasters. That's what's going to make it WASTELAND.

Combine that with everything they've learned from 2/DC, the streamlining, and all of the new features, you're probably looking at a solid game.
The backbone of the game will definitely be the writers, though, as is true with all good RPGs.

It's certainly a big job. Let's just hope they can pull it off.

As for it running on Unity, I'd imagine they're doing it because they're using the second game as a framework to improve off of.