Just Suggestions

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

kilobug
Adventurer

Re: Just Suggestions

Post by kilobug » February 7th, 2017, 9:05 am

undecaf wrote:On a different note; W2 was pretty heavyhanded with its combat grind. A bit more non-combat gameplay opportunities (skill/stat uses on environment/NPC/items, random encounters, etc) would be welcome to balance out with the constant fighting.
I agree with that. It would have been nice to see random encounters where you can (if you want) use "bad ass" to scare the "bad guys" away instead of fighting them, or a random encounter where you see two different groups fighting and you can ignore the situation, help one group, kill everyone, or a random encounter when you can either make a detour (losing water, in the first part of the game) or fight, and many similar more "creative" things than just fighting.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » February 7th, 2017, 10:50 am

crimsoncorporation wrote:It would be interesting to have a vision range (depending on your outdoor & perception skill for instance) in which you can see other parties (raiders and such) allowing you to actually physically dodge encounters instead of have a rather unimmersive random roll.
I support this idea. Haven't played Mount & Blade so I can't comment on how it would play.

BUT two old JRPGs come to mind: Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger. FFVI had random encounters all the time. Every time I walked from one end of a dungeon room to the other, I was nervous that random encounters would suddenly appear, and not nervous in that good "this game is tense" way, more in a "this is tedious, I just want to get across the room" way. Chrono Trigger was the first JRPG I played that threw the random encounters out the window and let you see every enemy before the fight started. Most fights were still unavoidable, but I felt so much more immersion and control knowing what was coming and feeling like combat was part of the world instead of this separate, random screen.

I could rant on but you get the point.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » February 7th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Thing is, Wasteland was full of random encounters too. But an end-game party wasn't going to be particularly worried about a random in Quartz, aside from wasting ammo. The issues in WL2 were that: 1) any combat could potentially be deadly (with bad luck) and 2) even an "easy" combat was a 5-10 minute affair.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

crimsoncorporation
Initiate

Post by crimsoncorporation » February 8th, 2017, 6:46 am

Drool wrote:The issues in WL2 were that: 1) any combat could potentially be deadly (with bad luck) and 2) even an "easy" combat was a 5-10 minute affair.
Mainly the random encounters were just too repetitive, and for the most part also too easy to be interesting in Arizona, especially because ammunition/med kits/scrap was plentiful.

Random Encounters should be far more varied as mentioned above - actually this is something they should open up to modding as much as possible, it'd be interesting to see what the community comes up with.

Also, what's the point if they're not potentially deadly?

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » February 8th, 2017, 11:56 am

crimsoncorporation wrote:Also, what's the point if they're not potentially deadly?
Immersion?

A rabid cur dog isn't going to care that you're carting around a Mason Cannon, it's going to attack regardless. It also makes the world feel populated. If there's not going to be random combat, you might as well just teleport between locations.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » February 8th, 2017, 3:37 pm

Random encounters with low level folk should behave the same way if your party stumbled onto a high level group -- they would try to terminate the encounter and run, perhaps dropping crap loot for your trouble.

That is both realistic and quick.

Of course, sometimes, an insane person may attack regardless. As long as it isn't the norm that can and should happen on a rare basis.

And yes, stumbling onto a high level zone can mean death by random encounter for the party.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » February 8th, 2017, 4:36 pm

Zombra wrote:
crimsoncorporation wrote:It would be interesting to have a vision range (depending on your outdoor & perception skill for instance) in which you can see other parties (raiders and such) allowing you to actually physically dodge encounters instead of have a rather unimmersive random roll.
I support this idea. Haven't played Mount & Blade so I can't comment on how it would play.
Fallout 2 had this.

Grampybone
Acolyte

Post by Grampybone » February 8th, 2017, 5:44 pm

Gizmo wrote:
Zombra wrote:
crimsoncorporation wrote: Fallout 2 had this.
A lot of goodness could be harnessed by following this mantra 8-)

Grohal
Adventurer

Post by Grohal » February 9th, 2017, 12:35 am

Gizmo wrote:
Zombra wrote:
Fallout 2 had this.
I am pretty sure you couldn't see enemy groups on the worldmap in Fallout 2.
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » February 9th, 2017, 1:24 am

Grohal wrote:I am pretty sure you couldn't see enemy groups on the worldmap in Fallout 2.
In Fallout 2 the PC's Outdoorsman skill could allow them to notice wasteland [random] encounters, and be given both a description, and the option to engage or avoid them. IRRC... It may have also influenced placement on the map; (distant, or up close and surrounded).

Grohal
Adventurer

Post by Grohal » February 9th, 2017, 1:46 am

Gizmo wrote:
Grohal wrote:I am pretty sure you couldn't see enemy groups on the worldmap in Fallout 2.
In Fallout 2 the PC's Outdoorsman skill could allow them to notice wasteland [random] encounters, and be given both a description, and the option to engage or avoid them. IRRC... It may have also influenced placement on the map; (distant, or up close and surrounded).
That is right - I misunderstood it then. Sounded like there were moving blobs of enemies you could drive/walk by. :mrgreen:
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Bayaderas
Initiate

Music Suggestion

Post by Bayaderas » July 26th, 2017, 9:45 am

While listening to the female artist known as "Chelsea Wolfe", I stumbled on her song called "The Wasteland" and oh my sweet lord...

What can I say? The atmosphere? The lyrics? No words can describe...

Please find a way to use it in your franchise, It's such a perfect fit.

"It's gonna be a wasteland
It's gonna be a gray dawn
Gray like the winter
A thousand years lost and gone"

:D