Design NPC bundle

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

TK6530
Initiate

Design NPC bundle

Post by TK6530 » December 26th, 2016, 1:05 pm

First of all, hi.

So, I decided to go ahead and upgrade to the "Desing an NPC bundle" on my CrowdOX confirmation after all. Just curious on how it is going to work, since it's the first time I ever pleged this type of thing on a game before (would had liked for WL2 but couldn't at the time).

So, anyone who did it on WL2? How was the experience? How much choice do I have in customizing the NPC/background/etc?

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Re: Design NPC bundle

Post by SagaDC » January 2nd, 2017, 5:16 am

TK6530 wrote:So, anyone who did it on WL2? How was the experience? How much choice do I have in customizing the NPC/background/etc?
The Wasteland 2 campaign kept most of the design elements of the Backer-NPCs under InXile's control. The backer got to decide on the name (pending approval from InXile), but that was about it. The backer also theoretically got to send in a picture to help guide the appearance of the NPC, but that was only actually done with a small number of the Backer-NPCs. In the end, I believe there were upwards of 160+ Backer-NPCs in the game, which is likely the reason for the reduced personalization or customization on the part of the backers.

In comparison, it appears that Wasteland 3 kept the Backer-NPC reward restricted to a much smaller number of pledges. At the moment, it appears that there are less than twenty of them in total, so that means that you will likely have at least a bit more involvement in making the NPC your own. The wording in the campaign does seem to imply a bit more creative freedom on the part of the backer, stating that you get to name and design the character in question (pending approval), where the Wasteland 2 campaign only indicated that you got to name them and send in a picture for the likeness. I'm sure that there will be restrictions on what you can and can't do, but that's to be expected.

Brother None
Developer

Re: Design NPC bundle

Post by Brother None » January 7th, 2017, 12:16 pm

Our process has been growing with experience, and we intend to use those lessons on WL3. For example, where in Wasteland 2 we mostly just took in suggestions and worked from there, Torment had more activity and interaction with backers, talks between backers and the team.

I can't speak yet to the exact process, but I imagine we'll poll you for initial information and then follow up down the line. We'll keep you posted!
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer