"A Dumbening Shall Come"

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Re: "A Dumbening Shall Come"

Post by Gizmo » March 26th, 2017, 10:41 am

In Baldur's Gate, NPCs judged the PC by their actions, and could quit them. Not all NPC's liked one another, and could become unplayable; others would take their friends with them when they left. In Fallout, NPC death is irreversible, and in several cases NPCs might refuse to join. In Temple of Elemental Evil, some NPCs would turn permanently hostile once let go.

So the player needn't always have the luxury of always swapping out for convenient party composition.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » March 26th, 2017, 12:05 pm

Gizmo wrote:
March 26th, 2017, 10:41 am
In Baldur's Gate, NPCs judged the PC by their actions, and could quit them. Not all NPC's liked one another, and could become unplayable; others would take their friends with them when they left. In Fallout, NPC death is irreversible, and in several cases NPCs might refuse to join. In Temple of Elemental Evil, some NPCs would turn permanently hostile once let go. So the player needn't always have the luxury of always swapping out for convenient party composition.

Great examples Giz.

I might also mention Wasteland 1 ... dismiss a companion? They're instantly gone forever. Regardless of intent or tech limitations, this had the positive effects of 1) giving the player a reason to see more companions and 2) emphasizing the importance of the player's own created characters as the real heroes of the story (while still allowing them to be disposable as well).

Here's hoping that Wasteland 3 will be a little less "free love" with its companions than its predecessor.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » March 28th, 2017, 4:45 pm

Zombra wrote:
March 26th, 2017, 12:05 pm
Here's hoping that Wasteland 3 will be a little less "free love" with its companions than its predecessor.
Although based on the upset over lack of prostitutes in TToN maybe it should be MORE "Free love" :o :lol:
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

fuzzyballs01
Scholar

Post by fuzzyballs01 » April 4th, 2017, 10:34 am

honestly, in Wasteland 2 you only had a few good weapons
assault rifles, LMG's late game and sniper rifles, and meelee weapons late game, all the others were fillers for enemy variety

did I want to make my main squad leader a revolver-wielding badass? yeah
was it a viable weapon type to use? no
give your sniper a shotgun or SMG as a backup weapon? good luck doing anything with it

I just hope they make every weapon class decent enough to actually use, I don't care if it's faster or easier to use as long as I can decide how they do it
has anyone ever played Fallout Tactics? you could set that game to real-time, you'd use AP to fire, reload, move, switch stance, everything, and you'd get 1AP back per second, so your characters would automatically fire at threats, and if there were too many (like the missions where you have to defend against attacking super mutants (side-note, add defensive parts too instead of always moving forwards)) you could set it to turn based and take your time picking threats
if they did that, I'd be totally up for it, even if it makes equipping a second weapon a bit useless because the time you lose selecting the character, switching weapons and having him run out of cover while the enemy is firing? I'll pass

if they do it like when they tried to re-invent jagged alliance and doing it badly where you could pause the game, set up orders and they would execute them together in sync, that'd work but not as good
the main problem in that game is that your AI will only fire automatically up to a certain distance, even though they had an almost unmissable chance to hit before the enemy reached their max range while the enemy doesn't care, they'll fire from anywhere

I prefer turn-based determined by character speed, don't give me that shitty XCOM mechanic where both sides get their own turn

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » April 4th, 2017, 1:58 pm

fuzzyballs01 wrote:
April 4th, 2017, 10:34 am
give your sniper a shotgun or SMG as a backup weapon? good luck doing anything with it

Nonsense. I completed the game with only two rifles in my whole squad. Rifles are optimal, and balance could be better, but that absolutely does not make everything else "nonviable".

But I think we all hope as you do that all weapon types are better balanced this time around.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » April 4th, 2017, 9:51 pm

Lemmie see... on my full vanilla playthrough, I used...

Melee, Sniper/Brawling, Shotgun/Energy, Pistol, SMG, Sniper, Energy/AR. Didn't have any real troubles. My current DC playthrough swapped the Energy/AR for another melee, I believe.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

fuzzyballs01
Scholar

Post by fuzzyballs01 » April 7th, 2017, 3:58 am

Zombra wrote:
April 4th, 2017, 1:58 pm
fuzzyballs01 wrote:
April 4th, 2017, 10:34 am

Nonsense. I completed the game with only two rifles in my whole squad. Rifles are optimal, and balance could be better, but that absolutely does not make everything else "nonviable".

But I think we all hope as you do that all weapon types are better balanced this time around.
gratz, buddy
just because you did use them doesn't make them useful

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » April 7th, 2017, 8:48 am

Agreed :)

Blindchance
Scholar

Post by Blindchance » April 18th, 2017, 5:08 am

I agree, please no "streamlining" of game features. Wasteland skill and combat systems are already shallow. What they should be doing is expanding these features by adding more active skills. Give us ability to switch to turn based mode before even the combat starts so we can set up our Rangers without issues faced in real time. This could allow for some basic stealth features too, think XCOM 2 ambush where if you are not spotted you can set up your soldiers before a fight.