Please let us respec npc companion skill points... or something

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Drave
Initiate

Please let us respec npc companion skill points... or something

Post by Drave » December 12th, 2016, 9:08 pm

I just recently picked up Wasteland 2, am close to finishing it, and I abolutely love it. Most of the games faults are fairly minor and don't really bother me too much, but the one thing that really frustrated me is the npc companions.

I'm a bit of a min/max type of player. I spend a lot of time thinking/planning out how I'm going to build my party and how to spend my skill points as optimally as possible. I really hate having wasted skill points. It really frustrated me that after completing my roster of 7 rangers it just isn't really feasible to recruit npc's later in the game without completely giving up an important skill for the group. How can I recruit an npc late in the game who looks interesting but has completely redundant skills when doing so would mean I'd lose my only lockpicker, or computer scientist, or whatever?

I wouldn't mind having a one-time option of being able to respec an npc's skill points when you recruit them. It would completely solve this issue for me.

Or maybe some one else might have a better solution. Thoughts?

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Re: Please let us respec npc companion skill points... or something

Post by SagaDC » December 14th, 2016, 1:01 am

For what it's worth, it's easy enough to edit the NPC Companions' stats using an XML editor. But yes, it would have been nice to be able to do it in-game, rather than having to edit the save files.

The NPC companions in Wasteland 2 generally had very terribly optimized builds. I'm not expecting a perfect min-max on every character I recruit, but some of the NPC companions had attributes that didn't even make sense in regards to their own dialogue or backstories. A few of them didn't even have the right number of attribute points or skill points (such as poor Gary Wolfe).

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » December 14th, 2016, 2:33 am

Didnt InXile state in some update that we can respec the NPCs? I think I read something like this - not sure how this can be handled with given an NPC life and background - why should the heavy gunner brute guy end up being the charismatic diplomat?
Seems wrong and the picture will most likely fit less than Roses pic with her char modell. :mrgreen:
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Drave
Initiate

Post by Drave » December 14th, 2016, 6:23 am

SagaDC wrote:For what it's worth, it's easy enough to edit the NPC Companions' stats using an XML editor...
Ah, that would actually satisfy me completely, didn't know it would be so easy. Thanks for the info. Wish I would have looked into this sooner. I was too addicted to the game and didn't want to stop playing to bother looking for mods or some way to make this possible.
SagaDC wrote:The NPC companions in Wasteland 2 generally had very terribly optimized builds...
Yeah, I agree, I don't care if they're perfectly optimized either. The game is easy enough as it is, I don't need 7 min/maxed super soldiers. I just really enjoyed some of the banter. I wanted to bring along Sotchmo, but all of his skill points are completely wasted on lockpicking and safecracking, and I already had a shotgunner and didn't need 2 people using that weak weapon.
Grohal wrote:why should the heavy gunner brute guy end up being the charismatic diplomat?
Yeah, you might contradict the character's personality/style or whatever, but meh, I'd still rather have the option to do so if I wanted.

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » December 14th, 2016, 10:36 am

I'm okay with NPCs leveling themselves up as they see fit if they have a personality/charactierization... provided the 4 PCs are fully customized by the player.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » December 14th, 2016, 11:42 am

paultakeda wrote:I'm okay with NPCs leveling themselves up as they see fit if they have a personality/charactierization... provided the 4 PCs are fully customized by the player.
Strongly agreed. I play on normal difficulty and I don't care for the "optimization game" much. I'm happy to work with whatever shows up on the NPC front.

I still think the main problem with companion NPCs is that they always stay forever. I grow attached to the first guys I recruit, and with no pressing reason to dismiss them, I end up missing out on spending time with guys who appear later in the game. So for a completely different reason than Drave, I just don't recruit later companions after I've spent some time with earlier ones. Let them stay with the party until I save their cat or whatever, and then quit and go back to their old lives ... or perhaps their new lives at Ranger Center if that's how it is.

Moagrim
Initiate

Post by Moagrim » December 19th, 2016, 12:31 pm

Giving options for players sounds good to me.

I mean those that really want to can and will bybass the lack of respec option by editing the values in the save games, so why not go ahead and integrate the possibility of it to the actual game while you are at it?

NickAragua
Novice

Post by NickAragua » December 23rd, 2016, 8:49 am

Right, the main problem for me with NPCs wasn't even their... uh... suboptimal attribute and skill point distribution. It was that the first three guys you recruit are mostly on par with the party. Then, everyone else after that is way behind in levels, which means that even if you want to include them in your party, they're more of a liability than anything else.

So, at the very least, the NPC guys need to "keep up" with the party in terms of level. Really though, yeah, just give us an option to re-spec. "Look, Andy, you're a really bad shot in the first place and I can see you panting when you're trying to heft that M-60. Why don't we work on your SMG skills instead. It's lighter but can still shoot a lot of bullets. You don't even have to hit the bad guys, just shoot in their general direction while the rest of us circle around and hit them from the side."

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » December 23rd, 2016, 10:40 am

NickAragua wrote:Right, the main problem for me with NPCs wasn't even their... uh... suboptimal attribute and skill point distribution. It was that the first three guys you recruit are mostly on par with the party. Then, everyone else after that is way behind in levels, which means that even if you want to include them in your party, they're more of a liability than anything else.
Yeah, yet another reason trying new companions is a bad idea. Once you've had the first ones for a while, your team will grow around them and they'll grow around you.

Needs to be a better reason to change companions than "I'm sick of these guys and I want to ruin my team". Expecting players to get sick of the NPCs you wrote - and having that be the only motivation to ditch them - is planning for failure.

Grampybone
Acolyte

Post by Grampybone » January 27th, 2017, 12:08 am

It would be cool if we could do special missions for companions, which end up boosting their stats, or giving them special skills/perks.

That way, even if NPC is crappy, if you invest time to help them, they can become good.

Just an idea, instead of flat out respeccing.

Juris
Acolyte

Post by Juris » February 6th, 2017, 1:11 pm

Agree. You shouldn't have complete control over NPCs, but if you do their companion missions they should get better. That's what make it a roleplaying game, and that encourages you to let new NPCs into the party.

As a side note I agree it is incredibly frustrating to have to cycle NPCs out of the party to add new ones. I get that this is a 'rule' of rpgs - you can't run around with 30 NPCs. Still, I'd prefer fewer NPC companions that can all join your party at once. If you want to limit the # of NPCs then there should be a roleplaying reason for it, like two NPCs hate each other and have diametrically opposed goals.
Grampybone wrote:It would be cool if we could do special missions for companions, which end up boosting their stats, or giving them special skills/perks.