Doing what Wasteland 2 couldn't - completely open world with no plot gating

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Infinitron
Adventurer

Doing what Wasteland 2 couldn't - completely open world with no plot gating

Post by Infinitron » December 12th, 2016, 3:55 am

Could Wasteland 3's Colorado be a completely open world in the style of Fallout, where you can theoretically go straight to the endgame location right for the start, with no locations that are artificially blocked or hidden by plot gating?

This was something that bothered a lot of people during Wasteland 2's development, but it was kind of forgotten afterwards as attentions strayed to other issues and other games. It's still a design that's worth pursuing, though. Maybe this time inXile are confident and experienced enough to achieve it?
Last edited by Infinitron on December 13th, 2016, 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Re: Doing what Wasteland 2 couldn't - completely open world with no plot gating

Post by Zombra » December 12th, 2016, 12:25 pm

Nothing to add, but I support this message. The radiation blocks did feel a little artificial in W2; though, as "collect the 5 gems" quests go, wandering around incidentally finding cat litter while doing other things was not so bad.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » December 12th, 2016, 10:18 pm

Zombra wrote:The radiation blocks did feel a little artificial in W2
They were okay in Arizona. When they were literal squares in California, it was a little ridiculous.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » December 12th, 2016, 11:55 pm

Drool wrote:
Zombra wrote:The radiation blocks did feel a little artificial in W2
They were okay in Arizona. When they were literal squares in California, it was a little ridiculous.
This. It was quite easy to get a half-way decent radsuit pretty early in AZ, so you could go to most places.
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

trancers
Initiate

Post by trancers » December 13th, 2016, 8:27 pm

i hope there is not again that you need to chose 1 from 2 who you want to save

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » December 13th, 2016, 9:29 pm

trancers wrote:i hope there is not again that you need to chose 1 from 2 who you want to save
I am quite opposite to this one. I want more choices and dire consequences.

For me InXile could (IF they had the manpower) give me 10 distress calls at once and I can only save one, maybe two if I am really fast. Let the other 8 kick the bucket. And to it not only once or twice but several times. Make me feel a bit helpless and overwhelmed. :mrgreen:

Of course, if we take the radio call from the updates: the big boss is still very much alive and I guess Colorado is not THAT lawless... unless he dies of course. :twisted:
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » December 14th, 2016, 12:57 am

Grohal wrote:
trancers wrote:i hope there is not again that you need to chose 1 from 2 who you want to save
I am quite opposite to this one. I want more choices and dire consequences.
I agree with Grohal, here. I'd like to see more choice and consequence in Wasteland 3, especially if it encourages me to play through the game multiple times so I can see all of the content.

Though I will also agree that the Ag Center / Highpool situation could have been handled better. It was a bit too arbitrary, and oddly out of place given that there are no other situations in the game where the player is required to make that kind of decision (or where the passage of time matters).

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » December 14th, 2016, 9:23 am

I think the request is that it not be so binary as 1 versus 2, and that either choice has implications that cannot be considered in black and white.

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » December 14th, 2016, 9:28 am

I honestly don't see the point - the "high level" areas will anyway be de-facto impossible with a low-level party, so for 99% of players it won't change much, but it'll force developers to deal with more possible combinations of what is done in which order and how NPCs react to this and that harder, leading to overall (for the same resources and delay) lower reactivity or more bugs.