The one and only question I have in order to back this.

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Blowfish64
Initiate

The one and only question I have in order to back this.

Post by Blowfish64 » October 9th, 2016, 1:49 pm

Is Nathan Long the lead writer again? Or if not, is he still involved in a significant portion of the writing? I believe he was the lead writer on Wasteland 2 and it was a train wreck. I also read his intro to Barf's Tale IV and quickly cancelled my pledge; it was awful. He has absolutely no talent and no business being involved in games writing. I don't say that to be mean, just that if he's involved, I'm reasonably sure it'll be a subpar game and I'll avoid wasting my money. Anyone know? Developers?

Blowfish64
Initiate

Re: The one and only question I have in order to back this.

Post by Blowfish64 » October 9th, 2016, 1:50 pm

Edit, that was supposed to be Bard's Tale, not Barf's Tale, hehe.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » October 9th, 2016, 5:32 pm

The crowdfunding campaign page mentions "the celebrated writers of Torment: Tides of Numenera", and Long worked on TTON. There's no reason I'm aware of to believe he won't be working on W3.

The page also mentions "our senior writer Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie". I don't know if "senior" implies Jurgens-Fyhrie will be the lead on this project, but it seems worth mentioning.

Lix
Acolyte

Post by Lix » January 26th, 2017, 4:50 am

Question answered:
Cosmic horror is a familiar canvas for many creatives. Even Gavin Jurgen-Fyhrie, a writer on the team (and coincidentally, the lead writer for Wasteland 3), joked about defaulting to the genre. Not many get it right. But Torment does.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/01/ ... a-preview/

Lix
Acolyte

Post by Lix » January 29th, 2017, 1:50 pm

Gavin isn't physically present at the studio either:
inXile writer here. The console ports didn't use KS money; from what I understand (I work remotely, so I'm even further from the business side of things than normal writers), they were handled by Techland.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments ... t/dd27kby/

Apparently he lives in California, but works remotely. Seems to be working out well enough for inXile.