Save-Scumming and Wasteland 3

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Lakstoties
Novice

Re: Save-Scumming and Wasteland 3

Post by Lakstoties » August 6th, 2017, 7:01 pm

Woolfe wrote:
August 6th, 2017, 3:39 am
Bloody should apologise.... this may well result in Zombra and I arguing in circles again....

:x :x :x :x

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well... I just can't help myself. Sometimes the pot is too tempting to not stir.

But anyway, replaying Wasteland 2 has put me on a system design kick and I really thought about the "Why" behind my behaviors. There's the immediate reasons which suggestion 1 fixes, but then there's the harder deeper reasons that suggestion 2 begins to address.

Suggestion 1 is fairly easy to implement will kill the immediate motivators, but doesn't address the greater picture. It's similar to removing the detonators from a bomb. It'll take care of the immediate threat, but doesn't address the reason the bomb was placed to begin with. That's a much larger issue. Frankly, for me, most of the time with the later parts of Wasteland 2... I really felt the game was trying to actively screw me over like angry grognard DM would. That type of stuff will put you on the vengeful defensive. Couple that with a huge collection of core system flaws and design issues... You are quickly in a "FU Game" mode.

It's a bit harder to address, but it'd pay dividends. Unfortunately, it'll require some major revisions to the methodology and core of the game to properly implement that will get the initial ire of the dire-hard fans. And development team wise, it'll require everyone sitting down to create a Design Lawbook that must be adhered. It's possible, but that depends on the time frames and design goals.

But you know... Their show at the end of the day.

unkle
Initiate

Post by unkle » January 21st, 2018, 4:18 am

Im a save scummer.

And i hate myself for it.

Its not a self control thing, its the "what if im missing out on a sweet gun or much needed ammo"

It breaks immersion for me, but when you dong get the guns of the people u kill half the time, you gotta do what you can

What am i gonna do? Charge in with mellee weapons? brawling sux.. waste of my points for 2 of my guys, thought there would be powerfists or something down the track at least

How bout put more effort into random encounters an sidemissions instead of these bloody safes...are safes fun? Pfft even when you level safecracking and lockpick, are these treasures ever worth it? Hell no...

Geist1
Initiate

Post by Geist1 » April 13th, 2018, 1:26 pm

How about if you don't want to save scum, then don't do it? Problem solved? Or do you want the Devs to take away your temptation to do it by implementing things. If you bought the game and wanna save scum, then by all means. If you don't, then don't.

When I get blasted in combat by some bad a$$ sh--, only to kill the guy, loot his corpse, and get a handful of f---ing rusty nails like WTF?!? Or some used condom. I know the mother scratcher didn't shoot me with his dick! And the only place for me to get a decent upgrade is to either buy the expensive sh-- or save scum cycle through a random chest until I finally get something decent. Then I'm gonna do it and not feel bad about it.
Last edited by Geist1 on April 13th, 2018, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » April 13th, 2018, 1:31 pm

I know the thread is long, but you've completely ignored numerous points made about that.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!