Wasteland 3 smelling good, here's my little list as my appetite is growing.

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Solomize
Novice

Wasteland 3 smelling good, here's my little list as my appetite is growing.

Post by Solomize » October 6th, 2016, 4:41 am

Concept art is looking gorgeous right now (landscape, buildings, equipment) and the snowy settings is good to my taste. I want to play that. Wondering if cold is going to be a game mechanics.. (Ultima 7.2 where you had to wear warm clothes + Wasteland's thirst mechanics come to mind)

Thinking about the game past and future, here is "my little list" version 2016. WL2 definitely is one of the Great Games I enjoyed these last years, and a definite recommendation in my book.

What was great:
  • Post-apo, 80s spirit, guns, sweat and dirt all around, cruelty, dialogues, rewarding progress, ...
  • Game was viable on Linux. Thank you so much for that. Full of bugs (the ulimit files thing, no achievements, and crashes when loading a game), but none was game-breaking in my experience.
  • Turn-based combat.
  • Verbose descriptions all around.
  • Radio - efficiently used to set a tone, to teach lore, to add audio flavour, to give missions. It's good and easy. The level-up thing is a bit far-fetched, one of WL1's mechanics that could go away.
What doesn't appeal to me:
  • Multiplayer - Right now, I don't find the perspective of having someone else fulfill quests when I'm not here very appealing.
  • Vehicles - Fallout fans had the same typical "must have". I didn't get it then, I do not get it now (just like dragons and romances). Not worth the effort if you ask me, but hey. I'm a pedestrian at heart.
  • Mods support - This is another "must have" with zero appeal to me.
Things I feel could be improved:
  • Combat - It's difficult to play WL2 after playing X-Com... Director's Cut added another layer of tactical options and it was welcome, though. Note: if combat is "too" good, you won't want to resolve conflict peacefuly.
  • Pop references - Okay, I may be alone here, but I think WL2 is on the "too much" side of it. Humour is very personal, and cultural. It often works for me, especially in the descriptions (some are very good). But dildos and betamax and shit and E.T. tapes and so on a hundred times, is just silly/childish or obscure. It's fine being American-centered (it's Arizona, I get it) but there is a toll for me. Bukowski: yes. 90s-TV-shows-references: no.
  • Backers' content - some millionaire's name or personal "philosophy" springing at a "shrine" is nah, get-out-of-my-game.
  • "Scraps" - I don't understand what it is and why it makes sense as a currency.
  • Skills and stats - charisma wasn't very clear as to how it was used, the lack of connection between skills and stats was surprising (we are so used to it that it took me a few hours into the game to realize there wasn't much). I wouldn't now what to do to improve it. Game designer is a hell of a job.
  • Skills - their abundance was a must-have for a WL1's proper sequel. WL3 doesn't have to. And I think it's time for toaster repair to get to rest. It is "fun" so it shouldn't be overdone.
  • Quests - Not sure. Something about quests I need to think about more precisely. Some events felt kind of flat, like if the intention of the designer was a bit too visible. As in, you took a decision thus consequence... but you could still do something about the situation, only the game won't let you because "it's done" (Virgil quest comes to mind).
My personal nemesis:
  • Save-scumming :'( I cannot not reload a game if I've locked myself out a chest, it is impossible. And I despise myself for it. But I would probably hate the game if the dice were rolled once and for all when I enter a map. I even reload sometimes when I feel a chest is supposed to drop a good weapon for instance but it's just not the kind of weapon I want ("hey chest, for the 14th time: give me a blunt weapon at that tier, would you?"). Yup, throw stones at me, I deserve it (...also, I'll reload if you hit me).
Last edited by Solomize on October 6th, 2016, 6:14 am, edited 5 times in total.

Solomize
Novice

Re: Wasteland 3 smelling good, here's my little list as my appetite is growing.

Post by Solomize » October 6th, 2016, 4:54 am

Oh... and, still:
  • Fixed camera, please.
I don't like rotating all the time and I get lost easily. Thank you!

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » October 7th, 2016, 1:58 pm

Good post - I replied to this quick bullet point
Solomize wrote:My personal nemesis:
  • Save-scumming
and it turned into a whole conversation, so I split this issue into its own thread. Here we go again!

Binary-Blues16
Novice

Post by Binary-Blues16 » October 7th, 2016, 3:11 pm

Attacks of opportunity need work. There's no great way to set up ambushes in W2. I hate comparing to XCOM, but they had the combat figured out. W2 is similar, but lacking a good ambush. If that's all they improve, it will still be a good game.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » October 25th, 2016, 9:08 pm

Vehicles.... seems interesting but depends how it's implemented, I'm guessing it will just be that they'll give you increased movement speed (and ability to avoid encounters) on the world map, in which case cool. What would be good is the Mechanic skill giving you the ability to fix vehicles or upgrade them, having a Ranger who is your dedicated "Mad Max".

Multiplayer really makes me nervous, because no matter how many times the devs say "It won't influence the single-player experience", we all know that at some level it will.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » October 26th, 2016, 12:36 am

On vehicles ... I'm into it. I expect we'll see them driving fast across not just the world map but location maps as well. Of course you won't be able to go everywhere in a vehicle, but imagine how much better Rail Nomads would have been if you could zip across the whole region in 30 seconds. Plus seeing the art and watching vehicles drive around in a wasteland will just look cool. Worst case scenario, it'll be like Fallout Tactics where it didn't really add anything ... but wasn't a problem either.