Before I Pledge: Zombra's Burning Questions

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Zombra
Global Moderator

Before I Pledge: Zombra's Burning Questions

Post by Zombra » October 5th, 2016, 2:32 pm

* Will the PC(s) be fully voiced?
The correct answer is [NO].
Also acceptable: [YES, and you will have no fewer than 50 voice actors to choose from to represent your original characters].

* Will I see my cool custom PCs up close during dialogue?
The correct answer is [YES].

* Will all PCs participate in conversation, or will the party have a "spokesman"?
i.e. Will this be like Mass Effect where one character is the "leader"?
The correct answer is [As in Wasteland 2, you'll be able to switch the currently speaking character at any time].

* If two players can play with two parties in asynchronous co-op, can a single player also field two parties and switch between them, like in Wasteland?
Without having to do something idiotic like run two instances of the game?
The correct answer is [You want to play "multiplayer" with yourself? Sure, we'll enable that].

-----------

* What does "party-based" mean in this case, exactly?
Can we expect the "4+3" fully created PCs:companions format of the first two Wastelands?
The correct answer is
[YES. The player will create up to 4 Rangers from scratch and the party can then be filled out with companion NPCs for a total of 7].
Updated again. We don't have the numbers but the party will again be a mix of scratch-created PCs and NPC companions.
First reply
sear wrote:In Wasteland 3, we're still building on Wasteland 2's party-based system and giving you the ability to create and customize Rangers. The main difference is we're planning for you to start out as a single character, before forming a full party out of created characters and companions.
Second reply
Brother None wrote:
paultakeda wrote:And if that single character dies but one or more of the party created later do not, does the game end?
You can still continue playing if that character dies.
* How about equipment? Will armor appear on the character models in game?
The correct answer is [YES, but equipping cosmetic items will override this].
Also acceptable (for me): [NO].
Update! vague answer given:
sear wrote:Visible armor is definitely something we want to look into for the game this time around. ;)
and again in the Fig campaign comments:
sear wrote:We're hoping we can have armor have visible appearance on your party this time around.
* What's this about multiplayer-exclusive content? The press release implies that some stuff can only be seen in co-op.
The correct answer is [That is a misinterpretation. All game content will be accessible in single-player mode].
Update! This one was answered 'correctly'. All content will be available in single-player. Thank you Chris.

Note to self: lazy link to Fig comment thread to check for dev responses there.

Nekot-The-Brave
Scholar

Re: Before I Pledge: Zombra's Burning Questions

Post by Nekot-The-Brave » October 5th, 2016, 3:39 pm

Great questions Zombra.

Bubbles
Novice

Post by Bubbles » October 5th, 2016, 3:46 pm

I'm sure the developers will answer them swiftly.

Gillsing
Explorer

Post by Gillsing » October 5th, 2016, 4:44 pm

Multiplayer with myself sounds like fun. I'd take my badly built party and have them fight my latest creations, just to show them the errors of their point distributions. And then, several hours of forum reading later, there will be new creations, killing the previously new creations. It's a Ranger eat Ranger world.

Uzzah
Initiate

Post by Uzzah » October 6th, 2016, 7:33 am

Hope all of these get answered soon.

Jimmious
Scholar

Post by Jimmious » October 7th, 2016, 8:28 am

Yes I would like to know the answers to these too. ;)
Float away, little butterfly. Just flutter away. I got a gig in Vegas. And the wastelands ain't no place for kids.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » October 7th, 2016, 11:21 am

Updated OP as inXile has acknowledged the armor models question - not very satisfactorily, but enough for partial credit.

Nexus
Acolyte

Post by Nexus » October 9th, 2016, 11:12 am

Hrm as far as party size I just noted this on the fig drive:
"You start the game as the sole survivor of Team November, a Ranger squad dispatched to the icy Colorado wastes.
And
Every inch of your body hurts, but you are alive. Your squadmates are not.
No doubt you play a full squad, but that would be an interesting opening.

Jimmious
Scholar

Post by Jimmious » October 10th, 2016, 2:48 am

Nexus wrote:Hrm as far as party size I just noted this on the fig drive:
"You start the game as the sole survivor of Team November, a Ranger squad dispatched to the icy Colorado wastes.
And
Every inch of your body hurts, but you are alive. Your squadmates are not.
No doubt you play a full squad, but that would be an interesting opening.
Hopefully it'll mean just a different introduction of the rest of the player-created party members.
Like you slowly find them in the first map.
Hopefully.
Float away, little butterfly. Just flutter away. I got a gig in Vegas. And the wastelands ain't no place for kids.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » October 12th, 2016, 1:42 pm

Updated OP. Chris Keenan unambiguously answered the question of exclusive multiplayer content. Same content in single-player and multiplayer. The only difference is that multiple players can hit triggers independent of one another, possibly causing reactions the other player doesn't expect.

Jimmious
Scholar

Post by Jimmious » October 13th, 2016, 4:40 am

Hm.. I'm not sure about this one. The implications and C&C of two squads will not be in the single player game and therefore it seems that some content will be unavailable without multiplayer.
To really make everything available to the single player we should be able to control two ranger teams alone.

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » October 13th, 2016, 5:34 am

Jimmious wrote:Hm.. I'm not sure about this one. The implications and C&C of two squads will not be in the single player game and therefore it seems that some content will be unavailable without multiplayer.
To really make everything available to the single player we should be able to control two ranger teams alone.
They stated quite cleary that there are no extra C&C. It may not be your choice and thus not the consequence you would have gotten in your singleplayer-game, but you would be able to reproduce it by chosing the same in your single-play.
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Jimmious
Scholar

Post by Jimmious » October 13th, 2016, 9:06 am

Grohal wrote:
Jimmious wrote:Hm.. I'm not sure about this one. The implications and C&C of two squads will not be in the single player game and therefore it seems that some content will be unavailable without multiplayer.
They stated quite cleary that there are no extra C&C. It may not be your choice and thus not the consequence you would have gotten in your singleplayer-game, but you would be able to reproduce it by chosing the same in your single-play.
But how do you reproduce the example given in the update if you can only control one party of Rangers?

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » October 13th, 2016, 9:37 am

Jimmious wrote:
Grohal wrote:
But how do you reproduce the example given in the update if you can only control one party of Rangers?
In singleplayer you either do the deal with the smugglers or you don't. Of course you don't have to deal with the mess another player does in singleplayer, but you have the same choice how to handle the smugglers like both players in co-op. Of course you have only one choice - could be you revoke the deal later, but that's on another pile.
In WL 2 i made a deal with a certain party in the valley of titan and killed them all later, because I thought the world would be better of without them. :mrgreen:

marceror
Adventurer

Post by marceror » October 13th, 2016, 12:45 pm

This thread is a little odd in the way it's presented. When you say "the correct answer is", does this mean that you received a developer confirmation of that answer, or is your "correct answer" actually your "preferred answer?

It seems to be the latter, but want to confirm. I, too, am waiting for additional details before backing. inXile has so far not provided very much info. Knowing how party creation works. Party size, etc. Pretty fundamental details for old school cRPG lovers.

Add that this is being billed as a console and PC game to start, with multiplayer, and it may well be that this game is being targeted to a different kind of player than WL2 was. And even though I've backed generously in the past, I view the lack of certain key details being shared as a bit of a red flag.

If inXile wants my pledge, they have to tell me more about what I'd be pledging for. A 3 - 4 party ranger team with lots of "optimizations" being made to "enhance" the console experience may not be something I want to sign up for.

marceror
Adventurer

Post by marceror » October 13th, 2016, 12:50 pm

Nexus wrote:Hrm as far as party size I just noted this on the fig drive:

Doesn't necessarily mean there won't be an opportunity to create some additional squadmates. You started PoE with a single character, but could create an entire party. I really hope this will be similar to WL2 in this regard, and that we aren't getting streamlined into a more console friendly party size while playing on PC. That would be, in a word, tragic.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » October 15th, 2016, 10:11 pm

marceror wrote:This thread is a little odd in the way it's presented. When you say "the correct answer is", does this mean that you received a developer confirmation of that answer, or is your "correct answer" actually your "preferred answer? It seems to be the latter, but want to confirm.
Sorry I missed your reply! Yes, my "correct" answers are the answers that inXile should provide in order to make me happy. I only speak for myself of course, but I feel that many of my hopes are representative of the opinions of the "older school, harder core" RPG fans that inXile initially set out to establish as their audience with the Wasteland 2 pitch, four years ago. Despite my moderate stance on some of these issues, I recognize that the old values are ... valuable. We don't want to start sliding down the path towards "Fallout 4 part 2"!
marceror wrote:If inXile wants my pledge, they have to tell me more about what I'd be pledging for. A 3 - 4 party ranger team with lots of "optimizations" being made to "enhance" the console experience may not be something I want to sign up for.
Yeah. That whole thing with a 4-character party in Bard's Tale 4 was a big letdown (glad they upped it to 5, but still).

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » October 16th, 2016, 1:33 am

Maybe InXile doesn't even register this is in question. It was 4+3 in WL, it was 4+3 in WL2 - why should anyone think it's different in WL3? Maybe it is only they never thought about anyone would doubt it is the same in the 3rd part.
I still hope they answer as soon as they see there is some doubt about this.

dorkboy
Master

Post by dorkboy » October 16th, 2016, 2:02 am

Grohal wrote:Maybe InXile doesn't even register this is in question. It was 4+3 in WL, it was 4+3 in WL2 - why should anyone think it's different in WL3? Maybe it is only they never thought about anyone would doubt it is the same in the 3rd part.
I still hope they answer as soon as they see there is some doubt about this.
Could be. I think the campaign in general has had a tendency to skip some of the basics - the campaign video, for instance, never establishes "hi, we're inXile and we like to make games!" etc. It assumes a certain amount of familiarity.
They're also not answering a lot of non-funding/non-technical questions in individual comments, other than to restate what is already established in the project description (turn and party based - reassuring, though fairly vague), but rather having the updates as the sole source of additional details (as I believe is the case for the two answered questions in the OP?).

And now I've got the Update Song stuck in my head. :lol:
marmelade & jam

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » October 16th, 2016, 4:37 am

Grohal wrote:Maybe InXile doesn't even register this is in question. It was 4+3 in WL, it was 4+3 in WL2 - why should anyone think it's different in WL3?
Bard's Tale IV. The Kickstarter launched on 06-02-2015. Everybody assumed it'd be a 6- or 8-character party ... because why should we have thought different? It wasn't until 06-09-2015 that we found out about the 4 character limit. inXile was like, "Huh? Players care how many characters are in the party? Whyever for?" I'm delighted that they listened and changed it to 5 (+1 CNPC), and I'd like to believe they learned their lesson, but we absolutely cannot afford to make assumptions. Frankly, a better question would be: why should anyone think they won't make radical changes without telling us?

For reference: the innocent speculation and awful realization thread.