PayPal as an alternative backing method?

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

oeac
Initiate

PayPal as an alternative backing method?

Post by oeac » October 5th, 2016, 8:09 am

What it says in the title.

cadriese
Novice

Re: PayPal as an alternative backing method?

Post by cadriese » October 5th, 2016, 10:18 am

Coming soon™ to https://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/, I assume.

pts
Acolyte

Post by pts » October 5th, 2016, 5:45 pm

I would second that. Credit Cards are just not used as much in Germany (we use EC-Cards instead), and getting one just for the kickstarter seems a bit overkill.

-> paypal pls :)

sear
Developer

Post by sear » October 5th, 2016, 6:28 pm

We are looking into offering it!

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » October 6th, 2016, 1:03 am

sear wrote:We are looking into offering it!
Good thing you do. :D :D
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 » October 6th, 2016, 4:29 am

yeah really good.
I'm looking forward to back WL3 via paypal.
Hope it'll be ready soon.

Jammet
Novice

Post by Jammet » October 6th, 2016, 7:56 am

Let me also say it again, like I did when I wanted to back Wasteland 2, and so many, many, many other games: please, for the love of dog, get Paypal. Yes I know people say it's the devil, but all money attracts the devil. That includes credit cards. ;)

Just because I don't have one, I can't be an early bird, don't get a chance on that sweet retro style Fallout giveaway, and might miss out on other exclusve credit card backer perks. All of that, despite wanting to back this from the get-go. I never miss a beat when it comes to games I love. :oops:

Apparently I don't have my pledge symbol here on the forum, either. Just noticed people have those. Did I miss my badge info?

Solomize
Novice

Post by Solomize » October 6th, 2016, 8:30 am

Jammet wrote:Apparently I don't have my pledge symbol here on the forum, either. Just noticed people have those. Did I miss my badge info?
Pledge symbols are credit card owners only, sorry.

I don't know about these countries without credit cards, but maybe your bank gives you the possibility to create a "virtual" credit card online? I have this where I can specify an expiration date and a sum of money and I get a card number I can use for online purchases.

dorkboy
Master

Post by dorkboy » October 6th, 2016, 9:04 am

Jammet wrote:Apparently I don't have my pledge symbol here on the forum, either. Just noticed people have those. Did I miss my badge info?
You have to log in to your account(s) for the game(s) you backed and activate the badge(s) from there (rewards->badge->select email etc..).
Here's some more detailed instructions: viewtopic.php?p=164619#p164619
marmelade & jam

Gillsing
Scholar

Post by Gillsing » October 6th, 2016, 12:59 pm

I wish those pledge badges were smaller, and went to the right of the avatar. As they are now, they just take up way too much vertical space.

Ident
Initiate

Post by Ident » October 6th, 2016, 2:55 pm

I was just about to back this, but turns out I can only pay with a CC (or debit card) ? Terrible. Just awful. Might be okay to do this for US customers, but if you want my European moneys you will have to try harder, my friends :|

If you manage to setup a second payment offer, please consider also enabling the 5$ discount for WL2 backers for that payment method, at least for those who haven't used it on fig yet. Just to make it fair.

xilonaut
Initiate

Post by xilonaut » October 6th, 2016, 3:13 pm

Hello

I just registered only to make this post.

Inxile, i just cant understand your decision not to include Paypal from the very beginning. There are many many people that simply dont have a credit card, just like me, because it is not common in their country.
I see some pledge tiers melting away and just cant do anything because of no Paypal option. The same thing with these very nice 48 hour goodies ( Stasis / Underrail ). By the time you decide to implement Paypal, if at all, the offer will be gone, since there is already only 19 hours left. Same risk with some pledge reward tiers.

Im like refreshing w3 fig page and forums like every 5 minutes just so that i dont miss Paypal announcement,thats nuts i need sleep guys ! No-Sleep world record is 11 days and 24 mins, man im just not that strong !

Its just sad and not fair i cant understand you.

Anyways, you are making great games, keep it up.

Gillsing
Scholar

Post by Gillsing » October 6th, 2016, 3:23 pm

Does Paypal have the functionality needed to only send money when a campaign succeeds, and withhold the money if a campaign fails? I think that's why Fig uses Stripe, which uses credit cards. Though I too would've liked a Paypal option, since I'm not worried that the campaign might fail, so I'd be fine with just sending the money without the possibility of getting it back.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » October 7th, 2016, 8:26 am

Indeed, campaign sites like Fig and Kickstarter that only pay out when funded can't use PayPal, as that would necessitate taking the money and then refunding, incurring crazy PayPal fees.

That said, we've soft launched our PayPal options now! You can find it here and take an early crack at it
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

xilonaut
Initiate

Post by xilonaut » October 7th, 2016, 8:45 am

Brother None wrote:Indeed, campaign sites like Fig and Kickstarter that only pay out when funded can't use PayPal, as that would necessitate taking the money and then refunding, incurring crazy PayPal fees.

That said, we've soft launched our PayPal options now! You can find it here and take an early crack at it
Hello

Thanks for adding it, but 48 hour goodies are gone i guess ? :roll: :cry:

Edit: But the signed CE is missing there ?

Ident
Initiate

Post by Ident » October 7th, 2016, 9:04 am

Brother None wrote:Indeed, campaign sites like Fig and Kickstarter that only pay out when funded can't use PayPal, as that would necessitate taking the money and then refunding, incurring crazy PayPal fees.

Not having the 48 hours offers is sad but do we also not get the previous-backer reduction of 5$ in that case?

oeac
Initiate

Post by oeac » October 7th, 2016, 9:08 am

Thanks!
Now if you just could answer the questions here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=16096
I'll gladly shell out a couple quid. Depending on whether I like the answers or not, of course.

Darth Trethon
Acolyte

Post by Darth Trethon » October 7th, 2016, 9:38 am

I just backed through paypal....very uncomfortable and and not ok with the whole Fig situation....I don't trust that site much at all. But I backed for $78($60 tier + $18 for console copy). My lowest backing for an inXile game. Had this been run through Kickstarter I would have gladly backed in a far more meaningful way as I have in the past but I don't trust the way this is handled. Shady investment site, extremely ambitious project 3 mil can't reasonably fund, Fig supposedly funding 40%(!) of development when the site operates at a great losses and in danger of going bankrupt, extremely ambitious goals that sound like inXile is biting more than they can chew(simultaneous releases for all things under the sun, multiplayer, etc.) and so on. I can't justify risking more than this for a project I see as volatile and in great danger of going under.

pts
Acolyte

Post by pts » October 7th, 2016, 10:26 am

Great thank you! I just tried it out and found no option to enter Superbacker information. Will superbacker discount become aviable on later iterations of crowdox and should i wait with backing?

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » October 7th, 2016, 10:43 am

Darth Trethon wrote:extremely ambitious project 3 mil can't reasonably fund
No comment on your other concerns, but I can comment on this one. In interviews, Brian Fargo has stated that they're using profits from Wasteland 2 to help fund the development of Wasteland 3. Based on his own comments, that accounts for roughly six- to seven-million dollars, before taking any of the crowdfunding into account.

So between the crowdfunding and their own funds, Wasteland 3 is being planned around a budget of about nine-million dollars. That's three times the initial budget for Wasteland 2.