Power armor true skins.

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

DKPortela
Initiate

Power armor true skins.

Post by DKPortela » October 2nd, 2016, 5:02 pm

I love power armors as someone reading this can ascertain but to my utmost sadness in WT2 it was just... A skin. In fact armors barely had unique skins. I'M asking the devs to bear in mind that armors ACTUALLY have visual differentiation and not just different stats for WT3.

Thank you.

Stuurminator
Scholar

Re: Power armor true skins.

Post by Stuurminator » October 2nd, 2016, 5:27 pm

Back during Wasteland 2's development, there was a lot of talk on the forums regarding whether armour should be shown on the character's model or not. You can actually see this feature in the very, very early promotional material for Wasteland 2, but they later removed it, making armour invisible. I suppose it was inevitable that this subject would come up again for Wasteland 3.

Allow me to get in on the ground floor with my preference that armour not be visible in Wasteland 3. There are two reasons for this: first, when I create a character, I put a fair bit of work into making them look right, and I don't want that invalidated when I start putting on armour; and second, visible armour means your entire team ends up looking indistinguishable from each other.

Now, if this were some sort of toggled feature, then everyone could be happy. But if I had to choose one or the other - visible armour versus invisible armour - I'd prefer the latter.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » October 2nd, 2016, 9:39 pm

The ideal: every armor type enables an optional skin when equipped. If you don't like the skin, you can turn it off and keep your leather jacket look or whatever.

If I had to come down on one side or the other, I would say NO to forced armor skins. I too spend a lot of effort customizing and don't want my team turned into indistinguishable Space Marines.

ogi79
Acolyte

Post by ogi79 » October 3rd, 2016, 5:16 am

DKPortela wrote:I love power armors as someone reading this can ascertain but to my utmost sadness in WT2 it was just... A skin. In fact armors barely had unique skins. I'M asking the devs to bear in mind that armors ACTUALLY have visual differentiation and not just different stats for WT3.

Thank you.
AGREED!

i allready stated tha only thing did not like in Wasteland 2 was armor sistem as it is, and not being able to see what actual armor is on the character.

DKPortela
Initiate

Post by DKPortela » October 3rd, 2016, 10:24 am

Sorry gents but I'm not in the same boat, if it's a toggle fine why not but not showing a piece of clothing takes immersion for me and It's a deal breaker. Why fight for that amazing piece of armor that looks uber mezzy wazzah when you equip it and you look... the same. It takes the fun out of it and takes away the empowerment and sense of accomplishment.

For me in a similar game which was Fallout 3, when i actually got the unique Gatling Laser the Vengeance, it was one of the most amazing victories for me (power armor in that game is no challenge at all) and i had the same sense of accomplishment when i actually got the T-51b when i resolved the Brotherhood quest line in Fallout New Vegas.

But if Inxile want's to grab both sides of the coin as customers, a toggle, why the hell not, I can live with that.

DKPortela
Initiate

Post by DKPortela » October 5th, 2016, 8:35 am

ogi79 wrote:
DKPortela wrote:I love power armors as someone reading this can ascertain but to my utmost sadness in WT2 it was just... A skin. In fact armors barely had unique skins. I'M asking the devs to bear in mind that armors ACTUALLY have visual differentiation and not just different stats for WT3.

Thank you.
AGREED!

i allready stated tha only thing did not like in Wasteland 2 was armor sistem as it is, and not being able to see what actual armor is on the character.

Didn't see your reply friend when i was writing, but we can't be only two persons thinking this way surely?

ogi79
Acolyte

Post by ogi79 » October 5th, 2016, 8:43 am

DKPortela wrote:
ogi79 wrote:

Thank you.
AGREED!

Didn't see your reply friend when i was writing, but we can't be only two persons thinking this way surely?
:) no we are not alone . All my friends feels as i and you do about armor sistem. On other forums people also had the same feelings , so we are not alone ;)

Ewffih
Initiate

Post by Ewffih » October 5th, 2016, 6:00 pm

Zombra wrote:The ideal: every armor type enables an optional skin when equipped. If you don't like the skin, you can turn it off and keep your leather jacket look or whatever.
Yep, absolutely this.

Otherwise, if we have to pick just one or the other, I'd rather have armour visually represented on your character.

-Archangel-
Adventurer

Post by -Archangel- » October 6th, 2016, 2:08 am

Instead of designing crappy 100 different types of clothing they could have designed more than one look for armors that cover more of your body and also added option to choose its color. Then putting PA on all your characters would make some of them look different and also you will be able to choose their colors. Also an option to hide helmets for people that want even easier way to tell them apart.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » October 6th, 2016, 9:51 am

-Archangel- wrote:Instead of designing crappy 100 different types of clothing they could have designed more than one look for armors
If you're suggesting that they should have made fewer clothing pieces in Wasteland 2, you are a bad person.

-Archangel-
Adventurer

Post by -Archangel- » October 6th, 2016, 10:13 am

Zombra wrote:
-Archangel- wrote:Instead of designing crappy 100 different types of clothing they could have designed more than one look for armors
If you're suggesting that they should have made fewer clothing pieces in Wasteland 2, you are a bad person.
If you are suggesting those clothing items made characters look better instead of ugly and worse you are a very blind person.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » October 6th, 2016, 10:23 am

-Archangel- wrote:
Zombra wrote:
If you are suggesting those clothing items made characters look better instead of ugly and worse you are a very blind person.
lol. I didn't say they were attractive and I wanted to go to the disco with them ... but the variety was appreciated and I wish there had been even more. I guess some people want to go back to Fallout which had the same 4 people over and over. No thank you.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » October 6th, 2016, 1:50 pm

Visible armor is definitely something we want to look into for the game this time around. ;)

Darth Trethon
Acolyte

Post by Darth Trethon » October 7th, 2016, 10:30 am

I agree, Fallout 4 did the most amazing job ever with the implementation of power armor......but I fear inXile is already biting more than they can chew with this project and I fear multiplayer will prove to be a grave and costly mistake....so in the power armor department I'll take what I can get. Though I think it would be nice of them to scrap something useless and pointless(like multiplayer) and dedicate that time and effort to far more important bits like power armor.

DKPortela
Initiate

Post by DKPortela » October 22nd, 2016, 11:39 am

sear wrote:Visible armor is definitely something we want to look into for the game this time around. ;)

yay!!!! :D

marceror
Adventurer

Post by marceror » October 22nd, 2016, 12:01 pm

DKPortela wrote:
sear wrote:Visible armor is definitely something we want to look into for the game this time around. ;)

Well, I recall that they wanted to look into this for the Director's Cut as well, so don't celebrate just yet.

DKPortela
Initiate

Post by DKPortela » February 6th, 2017, 1:20 pm

marceror wrote:
DKPortela wrote:

Well, I recall that they wanted to look into this for the Director's Cut as well, so don't celebrate just yet.
This is Brian Fargo's company not Bethesda that sell's their souls for a piece of market. This game was funded by us, they respect that.

Luckmann
Acolyte

Post by Luckmann » February 7th, 2017, 4:23 am

Zombra wrote:The ideal: every armor type enables an optional skin when equipped. If you don't like the skin, you can turn it off and keep your leather jacket look or whatever.

If I had to come down on one side or the other, I would say NO to forced armor skins. I too spend a lot of effort customizing and don't want my team turned into indistinguishable Space Marines.
I'm on the opposite side of you in that I absolutely hate that armours have no visual effect, because it absolutely ruins the verisimilitude of the game. If you don't want to look silly, it should be a conscious choice that you forego something because it makes you look stupid. Such vanity is ill-advised, but perfectly human.

That being said, I think the compromise itself is reasonable in this situation. It is already common in games that you can choose to hide/show your headgear (whether for practical or vanity purposes), and while that's definitely part of RPG decline, applying this to the entirety of your armour is a small stretch of concept.

That way, people that do not care about this at all don't have to care, and can ridiculously enough prance around in a power-armour while looking like the high-school fairy they know themselves to be "on the inside", while the rest of us can get our rag-tag group of asshats that end up looking like a band of mercenaries.
DKPortela wrote:This is Brian Fargo's company not Bethesda that sell's their souls for a piece of market. This game was funded by us, they respect that.
Not familiar with Tides of Numenera, I hear.
“The pessimist complains about the wind;
the optimist expects it to change;
the realist adjusts the sails.”

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » February 7th, 2017, 6:57 am

If someone cares about my opinion, it is : just don't waste resources on the look of armors. I'm all fine if it's not shown at all, or just one model with armors. Resources are much better used in hundreds of other places in a game.

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » February 7th, 2017, 7:17 am

kilobug wrote:If someone cares about my opinion, it is : just don't waste resources on the look of armors. I'm all fine if it's not shown at all, or just one model with armors. Resources are much better used in hundreds of other places in a game.
I kind of tend to agree, now that I think about this.
Maybe go like back to the original and give us 4 rangers in ranger uniforms. :mrgreen:
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.