Wasteland 3: tell us your stretch goal ideas

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Stuurminator
Scholar

Re: Wasteland 3: tell us your stretch goal ideas

Post by Stuurminator » October 8th, 2016, 9:04 pm

Ewffih wrote:I don't know that I trust a psychotic car named Morningstar, of all things, though. That sounds like some bad mojo. :|
Adding wisecracking robots to the team always makes me nervous, but if I remember correctly, there was a planned faction of Reagan fans that got cut from Wasteland 2. If Morningstar is made from the distilled remains of those plans, we're probably looking at good material InXile is just itching to use - so that's a good sign that it deserves to see the light of day. I hope.

Ranger1
Scholar

Post by Ranger1 » October 8th, 2016, 9:08 pm

Could you guys bring on the UnderRail guy to help you with your systems and mechanics. UnderRail did very well in this area.

ogi79
Acolyte

Post by ogi79 » October 9th, 2016, 12:58 am

ogi79 wrote:Nice , nice but i would prefer more locations/deep story/quests in next goal to come
Drool wrote: Honestly, I wouldn't. I've grown to feel that "more locations" and "more quests" stretchgoals are a primary cause of projects going off the rails. They, more than anything, lead to missed deadlines and unpolished content. If they're planning on 30 hours of game, I'd rather all the extra money get shoveled into making those 30 hours fucking amazing as opposed to bloating the 30 hours into 50 or 60 with questionable additions.

Don't spend the money giving me more. Spend it giving me better./quote]

Why not more and better? after all , you get more money (thats why its called streach goal) so you can invest it to get quality. i always prefer quality over quantity but only if i have to choose. if you have resources and will , you can provide quality and quantity , win win situation.

ogi79
Acolyte

Post by ogi79 » October 9th, 2016, 1:03 am

Ravn7 wrote:
Zombra wrote: I enjoyed the fluff part of the video*, and it did convey some good info, but I was surprised not to see the 2nd half where Brian sits down and says, "Hi, we're inXile, let me explain exactly what we hope to accomplish."
Exactly my thought. I watched the video for a while and then skipped to the part where they explain what's it all about and... video ended.

I don't need it that much because I'm familiar with their previous campaigns (I followed W2 campaign and backed TTON) but I'm sure there are people who aren't.
Drool wrote:
Ravn7 wrote:This arena could include microtransactions at first (strictly as donations) but later become free for all.
Seriously? Microtransactions? Are you drunk?
I'm absolutely serious. It's a way to get more funds for development. Nothing more, nothing less - I think it should be only temporary. No longer than until few months before release date.
MICROTRANSACTIONS ARE THE WORST THING HAPPEND TO THE WORLD SINCE PLAGUE AND BLACK DEATH!

Ravn7
Initiate

Post by Ravn7 » October 9th, 2016, 3:26 am

Drool wrote:
Ravn7 wrote:I'm absolutely serious. It's a way to get more funds for development. Nothing more, nothing less - I think it should be only temporary. No longer than until few months before release date.
...why? If people want to pledge more, they can just... pledge more.
They raised almost 1 mln $ more after the Torment campaign. It helps because they can polish the game much better. Studio maintenance is expensive and developers have to to release games before they're out of money.
ogi79 wrote:MICROTRANSACTIONS ARE THE WORST THING HAPPEND TO THE WORLD SINCE PLAGUE AND BLACK DEATH!
And crowdfunding, i.e. donations are one of the best things.

Look, it's very simple. The more money they raise, the better game they create.

Dragonfly
Initiate

Post by Dragonfly » October 9th, 2016, 4:21 am

The ideas I'm posting here aren't mine. I'm only the translater/messenger. They came up in a discussion in this thread in the German forum "World of Players", and I asked for permission to mention them here, because I really like some of those suggestions.
Seelenernter wrote:
Where was the combat aspect of diplomatic skills? (like provocating etc.) Why are engineers forced to destroy conquered robots in a setting where death lurks at every corner?
Heinz-Fiction wrote:
The characters don't change much. A high level sniper can shoot just as well as a fledgeling, he can just aim better. I'm missing skills to enrich the combat system. A melee fighter, for example, could learn to use enemies as a shield, mock foes, or put up mobile covers. MG shooters could put up curtain fires, snipers could use AP to hit enemies for sure next turn, saboteurs coud set traps, or whatever. The only changes happen in the background. That's not enough compared to RPGs like PoE or Divinity.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 9th, 2016, 12:27 pm

ogi79 wrote:Why not more and better
Why not pretty and intelligent?
Why not powerful and fuel efficient?
Why not cheap and good?

Sometimes, you can't get everything. And, again, going on what I've seen from games that I've backed and games that I've followed, expanding the scope of the game almost always leads to massive delays, mission creep, and generally a worse game. If for no other reason than the developer has a solid outline of their game, and now they need to wedge in three or four new scenes/quests/locations/etc. It results in a lack of cohesion.

Again, based on my experience with projects like this, I would much rather have stretch goals focus on making the game deep as opposed to wide.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Ravn7
Initiate

Post by Ravn7 » October 9th, 2016, 3:19 pm

inXile is very experienced studio and they would know how to make the game bigger and longer without compromising its quality. It's about allocating resources and not trying to do more than can be done well.

Grave
Scholar
Location: At Scott's Bar, waiting for this radiation cloud to blow past...

Post by Grave » October 10th, 2016, 2:33 am

Ronin73 wrote:
Drool wrote: Ditch CLASSIC and bring back MSPE. Or, at the very least, bring back the connection between Attributes and Skills.
+1 to this, but I'm wasting my time because it won't happen.
+1 to this as well. MSPE is a much more flexible ruleset, allowing for more varied gameplay tactics and broader character customization options. Plus, it was the core of the original Wasteland experience, so there's that.
"One thing about the desert: anything goes. It's just one big lawless sandbox. Do anything you want, but just don't get yourself killed. That tends to shorten your life span incredibly. Good luck, and may your Uzi never jam."

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » October 10th, 2016, 6:00 am

Grave wrote:
Ronin73 wrote:
Drool wrote: Ditch CLASSIC and bring back MSPE. Or, at the very least, bring back the connection between Attributes and Skills.
+1 to this, but I'm wasting my time because it won't happen.
+1 to this as well. MSPE is a much more flexible ruleset, allowing for more varied gameplay tactics and broader character customization options. Plus, it was the core of the original Wasteland experience, so there's that.
+1 from me also. The characterprogress is very suboptimal in WL2, either think of something completly new or orient on Fallout (1/2) or the original WL. They had way better char-development.
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 10th, 2016, 1:17 pm

Ravn7 wrote:inXile is very experienced studio and they would know how to make the game bigger and longer without compromising its quality.
Asserting facts not in evidence.
Grohal wrote:either think of something completly new or orient on Fallout (1/2) or the original WL. They had way better char-development.
CLASSIC was oriented on Fallout 1/2, even down to the stupid, cutesy name. The only real difference between CLASSIC and SPECIAL was CLASSIC's skills being capped at 10.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » October 10th, 2016, 1:28 pm

Drool wrote:
Ravn7 wrote:inXile is very experienced studio and they would know how to make the game bigger and longer without compromising its quality.
Asserting facts not in evidence.
Grohal wrote:either think of something completly new or orient on Fallout (1/2) or the original WL. They had way better char-development.
CLASSIC was oriented on Fallout 1/2, even down to the stupid, cutesy name. The only real difference between CLASSIC and SPECIAL was CLASSIC's skills being capped at 10.
But only in WL2 I have levelups that don't give me ANYTHING - just prepare me to be given something later. It is just plain awful in giving a feeling of progress.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 10th, 2016, 1:30 pm

Grohal wrote:But only in WL2 I have levelups that don't give me ANYTHING - just prepare me to be given something later. It is just plain awful in giving a feeling of progress.
True. It was a poor implementation of Fallout's system, but was very, very clearly modeled on Fallout.

I really hope they completely scrap it and go back to a more MSPE style system.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » October 10th, 2016, 7:17 pm

Grohal wrote:But only in WL2 I have levelups that don't give me ANYTHING
Eh, hit points are something. And there were certainly plenty of level-ups in Wasteland 1 that were equally inconsequential.

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » October 10th, 2016, 8:26 pm

Zombra wrote:
Grohal wrote:But only in WL2 I have levelups that don't give me ANYTHING
Eh, hit points are something. And there were certainly plenty of level-ups in Wasteland 1 that were equally inconsequential.
True, but there was no levelcap in WL1(I never reached it at least) - so it is something different. The FEELING of too little progress is stronger if you see the end of the line. At least in my book.

Plus of course skills in WL1 could be raised via using - so there is a constant progress. I remember jumping in the river various times to push the swimming skills of my party. :mrgreen:

ogi79
Acolyte

Post by ogi79 » October 11th, 2016, 2:38 am

Another suggestion fo streach goal from me :) !

I am curently on third play Wasteland 2 directors cut and one thing i wanted is SECRET LOCATION/S! one huge secret location with spooky/tweested story behind ( Sierra army depot FO2)

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 11th, 2016, 1:38 pm

Grohal wrote:True, but there was no levelcap in WL1(I never reached it at least)
Level 183: Supreme Jerk

But at 17,052,672 experience points, it's effectively impossible to reach that level without abusing passive skills. The best way to do it is in Crumb's basement using a party that has climb and one NPC who doesn't. You then tape/pin down a direction key. The party will continually try to climb the trash. Your people with climb will succeed (and gain XP) while the person without won't, and will keep the party icon from moving.

Then you just let it go like that. For about 30 hours. No, seriously. When I leveled a party to Supreme Jerk using that method, they had already gone through the game five or six times, and it still took 12 or so hours. Totally worth it, though.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Deverell
Initiate

Post by Deverell » October 11th, 2016, 7:08 pm

Hello all,
New to forums but have played Wasteland 2 and backed 3. I've also played games the rest of you have mentioned.
I personally think combat improvements should already be part of the core game, but as a stretch goal I would like to see even more options. My brawler should be able to grapple someone I think, or try to disarm someone. Effectively ending combat without killing perhaps? Just my thoughts! Very excited to see what the next few years bring!

Xaonaught
Initiate

Post by Xaonaught » October 11th, 2016, 11:29 pm

Hey guys.
I think a good way to get people to pledge a little more and to help the game out would be by adding in custom raider groups.
In previous games there were often random encounters with groups of raiders, random bands of no-name losers who thought they could take on the rangers.
But what if in Wasteland 3 they are named losers who think they can take on the rangers.

I think that as a stretch goal, or just an additional pledge amount we should have the ability to name a group of raiders that goes into a pool used in random encounters.

This could be sold as purely a name;
Sear's Scumbags
Brother None's Butchers
etc

Or perhaps we could have some say as to the composition of the group or the basic layout/design of the map they appear in:
Brian's Blitzers
A group of shotgun wielding fanatics in an open street.

This way those who can't afford the extra to create an NPC may have a chance to make it into the game in some way and we can all help fund the game more.

As an extra if we are able to fund custom insignias perhaps each group of raiders could have their own as well.

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » October 12th, 2016, 8:04 am

Deverell wrote:... My brawler should be able to grapple someone I think, or try to disarm someone. Effectively ending combat without killing perhaps? Just my thoughts! Very excited to see what the next few years bring!
I like that one - a lot. :mrgreen: