How will this affect the development of Torment?

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Murbella
Initiate

How will this affect the development of Torment?

Post by Murbella » September 28th, 2016, 4:30 pm

Hello,

I backed Torment on kickstarter and was a big fan of Wasteland 2 as well.

As with many, i've waited patiently delay after delay on Torment. As a programmer myself, i know these things happen in large projects. Now you've announced that you seem to be working on another game at the same time. I realize this happens in Large Development Studios but i can't help but wonder if this will delay Torment even more.

I want to say that even though i'm a fan of yours and will no doubt enjoy wasteland 3, i will NOT buy it/back it until you actually finish the game I already bought from you. I will encourage my friends to do so as well.

kilobug
Adventurer

Re: How will this affect the development of Torment?

Post by kilobug » September 28th, 2016, 4:52 pm

Game development is a multi-phased process, and very few of the same people are involved in all the phases. While Torment is going under polish (beta-testing, fixing bugs, optimizing code, ...), Wasteland 3 will be under early conception - writing main story/plot, designing game mechanics, concept art, ... so the two will have very, very few consequences on each other.

Doing several games in parallel allows inXile to keep every of their guys busy with work, else during beta-testing area writers and concept artists would be idle, and so on.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » September 28th, 2016, 4:56 pm

Not to worry, Torment is in its final stretch with the team focusing on polish, bug fixing and so on. But meanwhile, the writers and some artists are done with their work on Torment completely, me included!

One of Brian's philosophies since the Interplay days, and which inXile follows, is to keep production going by adopting a "game and a half" model where, as writing, art, and so on finish up, those people get started working on the next project. This means we don't have to have them spinning their wheels waiting for the next thing to do, or worse, lay them off. As a developer yourself you might be familiar with this dreaded layoff cycle and it is something we feel is very self-destructive to team cohesion and, ultimately, game quality. We'll only roll in more people from Torment when they are completely done working on that game.

Torment is most definitely still on track for its release early in Q1 2017, the game will be in your hands long before Wasteland 3 is out.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Infinitron
Adventurer

Post by Infinitron » September 28th, 2016, 5:28 pm

More like two and a half games now though, isn't it.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » September 28th, 2016, 5:56 pm

Indeed. Will WL3 be the primary office or NOLA?
Alwa nasci korliri das.

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » September 28th, 2016, 9:05 pm

If the 1% chance of inviting the mods of this site to visit the team for whatever bull crap reason occurs, I hope it's NOLA. Because, come on: NOLA!

Gillsing
Explorer

Post by Gillsing » September 30th, 2016, 3:29 am

Murbella wrote:I backed Torment on kickstarter and was a big fan of Wasteland 2 as well.
When you backed Torment, Wasteland 2 was still in development. And that worked out all right for Wasteland 2, didn't it?

I kind of had the same reaction at the time: "You want more of my precious money before I've even seen the results of the first pledge?!" But the explanation made sense, so I just went along with it.