Wait. Is this a single-character game??

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Re: Wait. Is this a single-character game??

Post by Woolfe » November 25th, 2016, 3:34 pm

Drool wrote:
Woolfe wrote:I am so bloody sick of the whole 4 characters shit.
...but Wasteland was 4 characters?
Yes 4 Characters you created yourself. Sorry I was a bit annoyed at the time and wasn't clear on what was annoying me about that.

There is a trend to reducing the number of characters in a RPG or Tactical combat game and the tendency is to 4. So for example Xcom was previously 12 or 14 (I cna't recall offhand). Which got reduced to 4 and 6. Bard's tale was 6 characters + others, they tried to make it 4 + others, after our whinge, we got 5 + others.

I was feeling like this was in the same realm as that. Going from 4 player characters and companions to 1 player character and 3 companions.

I was cranky. :-) Fortunately this has been cleared up. Because boy was I getting into Rant mode ... LOL...
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » November 25th, 2016, 4:04 pm

Woolfe wrote:Fortunately this has been cleared up.
Well, no.

It's still unclear what a "full party" means. It could be 3 characters total as far as we know.

We also still don't know whether PC #1 will be a "chosen one", Pillars-of-Eternity-style.

dorkboy
Master

Post by dorkboy » November 25th, 2016, 5:57 pm

Zombra wrote:
Well, no.

It's still unclear what a "full party" means. It could be 3 characters total as far as we know.

We also still don't know whether PC #1 will be a "chosen one", Pillars-of-Eternity-style.
We also don't know how long the tutorial section of the game will be. Could turn out to be an ultra marathon version of Temple of Trials. ;)
marmelade & jam

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » November 25th, 2016, 9:21 pm

Zombra wrote:
Well, no.

sear wrote:Hey guys, thanks for voicing your thoughts. However, you are reading too much into that interview. In Wasteland 3, we're still building on Wasteland 2's party-based system and giving you the ability to create and customize Rangers. The main difference is we're planning for you to start out as a single character, before forming a full party out of created characters and companions.
I haven't played Pillars so... not sure exactly how that worked. But good point. Sea hasn't specifically ruled out the Chosen one aspect.

I guess the line WL2's party based system, suggests to me that it is not locked to a single character.

Sea can you please clear that up?

marceror
Adventurer

Post by marceror » November 25th, 2016, 10:14 pm

In Pillars you can "hire" adventurers from taverns. When you do this you pay an amount of gold to get the level character that you want, and then you can fully create that character just as you would your main character. These characters will be added to your roster of companions for the remainder of the game, and you can swap them into your party instead of premade companions, or even run with a full party of created party members.

Perhaps there will be a way in WL3 to "hire" a few created party members after game start.

marceror
Adventurer

Post by marceror » November 25th, 2016, 10:17 pm

marceror wrote:
dorkboy wrote:Well, it's fairly obvious at this point that they're deliberately not answering these questions, for whatever irrelevant reasons.
Kind of a strange thing for a supposed crowdfunding campaign to do, really. :)
It is clearly a deliberate avoidance of these questions -- it is crowdfunding period after all, and they'd have to be on some bad crack to not be reading these posts about the their next proposed game. They pop in enough to pretty safely confirm that they are watching the forum.

I'm sure they have their reasons for being tight lipped. I hope they are good ones, because I know there are plenty of would be backers who remain on the side lines as a result.
Since the answer seems to be other than what was assumed by inXile's silence, the other option that comes to mind is indifference to their fans. :/

Odd.

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » November 26th, 2016, 7:33 am

sear wrote:Hey guys, thanks for voicing your thoughts. However, you are reading too much into that interview. In Wasteland 3, we're still building on Wasteland 2's party-based system and giving you the ability to create and customize Rangers. The main difference is we're planning for you to start out as a single character, before forming a full party out of created characters and companions.
And if that single character dies but one or more of the party created later do not, does the game end?

dorkboy
Master

Post by dorkboy » November 26th, 2016, 7:43 am

@marceror
Their fans are clearly a miscellaneous bunch, so it's quite possible to be indifferent towards one particular grognard subgroup without being indifferent towards the fans in general. (I mean, Colin's list of unreasonable demands isn't the only one such list they have to put up with.. ;) )
Maybe they just hadn't decided what they wanted to go for, and thought that stating as much would be worse than saying nothing? Whatever..
marmelade & jam

marceror
Adventurer

Post by marceror » November 26th, 2016, 10:40 am

dorkboy wrote:@marceror
Their fans are clearly a miscellaneous bunch, so it's quite possible to be indifferent towards one particular grognard subgroup without being indifferent towards the fans in general. (I mean, Colin's list of unreasonable demands isn't the only one such list they have to put up with.. ;) )
Maybe they just hadn't decided what they wanted to go for, and thought that stating as much would be worse than saying nothing? Whatever..
It seems like most of the moderators on their very own forums fall into this category, so it seems that this "subgroup" is made up of some of their more dedicated, passionate fans. And for every poster here advocating things like keeping the party to 4 created + 3 joinable companions, its safe to assume that there are many others who aren't posting that feel likewise.

Choosing indifference toward such fans seems an odd, if not horrendously stupid, choice. But it's theirs to make.

And for what it's worth, I take the grognard designation as a compliment. :ugeek:

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » November 26th, 2016, 11:03 am

paultakeda wrote:And if that single character dies but one or more of the party created later do not, does the game end?
You can still continue playing if that character dies.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » November 26th, 2016, 11:04 am

Brother None wrote:
paultakeda wrote:And if that single character dies but one or more of the party created later do not, does the game end?
So - now all doubts on that aspect should be erased. :mrgreen:
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

marceror
Adventurer

Post by marceror » November 26th, 2016, 11:15 am

That is good news. Thanks BN for the replies.

dorkboy
Master

Post by dorkboy » November 26th, 2016, 11:19 am

@marceror
I never meant grognard as an insult. I count myself as one. But I'm not entirely deluded.

@Brother None
Awesome! :)
marmelade & jam

marceror
Adventurer

Post by marceror » November 26th, 2016, 1:19 pm

I never meant grognard as an insult. I count myself as one. But I'm not entirely deluded.
Not sure what is deluded about hoping for some developer input/feedback on the questions posed here on the forums. Especially in light of 2 clarifications having just been provided in the last couple of days.

dorkboy
Master

Post by dorkboy » November 26th, 2016, 2:09 pm

marceror wrote:
Not sure what is deluded about hoping for some developer input/feedback on the questions posed here on the forums. Especially in light of 2 clarifications having just been provided in the last couple of days.
And I'm not sure goalpost is context moving grognard deluded fan base in general - but who knows, maybe? :P
marmelade & jam

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » November 26th, 2016, 5:03 pm

Brother None wrote:
Thanks BN

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » November 28th, 2016, 1:44 pm

Based on the number of times BN's response to my question was quoted in other threads, this clearly was the number one pressing concern regarding WL3. :lol:

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » November 28th, 2016, 5:31 pm

paultakeda wrote:Based on the number of times BN's response to my question was quoted in other threads, this clearly was the number one pressing concern regarding WL3. :lol:
I think it was. Please ask another question so we can get our NEW #1 concern resolved! :?:

marceror
Adventurer

Post by marceror » November 28th, 2016, 8:46 pm

paultakeda wrote:Based on the number of times BN's response to my question was quoted in other threads, this clearly was the number one pressing concern regarding WL3. :lol:
It practically deserves to be a forum wide announcement. :P

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » September 27th, 2018, 2:30 pm

Necropost!
Zombra wrote:
November 25th, 2016, 4:04 pm
Woolfe wrote:
November 25th, 2016, 3:34 pm
Fortunately this has been cleared up.
Well, no.
I'm not sure if this was ever absolutely confirmed until now, but "full party" officially means four created characters* plus companions. link
*with the option to use premade characters if you wish, but not by default.