Very Curious - Why Fig?

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Skie
Novice

Very Curious - Why Fig?

Post by Skie » September 28th, 2016, 9:47 am

And not something else, or Kickstarter again?
Just wondering :)
✔ Certified Bat Food

Godfather101
Explorer

Re: Very Curious - Why Fig?

Post by Godfather101 » September 28th, 2016, 11:41 am

Because Brian Fargo started Fig, so he tries to use it.

Only thing i hope is, that there will be a possibility to pledge via paypal.
Or, if that is not possible in Fig, that there will be some way to do so outside of fig, just like it was with wasteland 2 und Torment.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » September 28th, 2016, 3:03 pm

Brian touches on some of the reasons in this article: http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/28/130817 ... lease-date

cpmartins
Initiate

Post by cpmartins » September 28th, 2016, 4:26 pm

I'm not touching fig or anything involving double fine. I will not support scammers or assholes, of which tim proved to be both.
Having said that, I'd be happy to go the Paypal way.

Jayne Veidt
Initiate

Post by Jayne Veidt » September 29th, 2016, 10:36 am

cpmartins wrote:I'm not touching fig or anything involving double fine. I will not support scammers or assholes, of which tim proved to be both.
Same here, the fact that Tim Schafer is involved with Fig, in ANY WAY, kills it for me. So yeah, hopefully you'll have a paypal option up early.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » September 29th, 2016, 10:54 am

From what I understand, Tim Schafer is only part of Fig's advisory board (just like Brian Fargo is), which means that he offers non-binding advice. He has no actual control or attachment to any of the crowdfunding campaigns that are run through the service, with the sole exception of Double Fine's Psychonauts 2 campaign.

Complaining that you don't want to use a service because they're on friendly terms with a guy who offers them non-binding advice is a little silly. Fig also makes use of a half-dozen other advisors, including folks like Brian Fargo and Feargus Urquehart.

Skie
Novice

Post by Skie » September 29th, 2016, 11:52 am

Ah, that's very interesting. Didn't know Fig works like that.

Thanks for the answers!
✔ Certified Bat Food

Knightshark
Novice

Post by Knightshark » September 30th, 2016, 11:24 am

Jayne Veidt wrote:
cpmartins wrote:I'm not touching fig or anything involving double fine. I will not support scammers or assholes, of which tim proved to be both.
Same here, the fact that Tim Schafer is involved with Fig, in ANY WAY, kills it for me. So yeah, hopefully you'll have a paypal option up early.
Why is that? What did he do? (Except underdelivering on Broken Age)

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » September 30th, 2016, 12:15 pm

Knightshark wrote:
Jayne Veidt wrote:Why is that? What did he do? (Except underdelivering on Broken Age)
Unfortunately, Tim Schafer has built a somewhat negative reputation for himself when it comes to crowdfunding, due to his handling of both "Broken Age" and "Space Base DF-9". Broken Age does indeed have a reputation for having been "underdelivered". Space Base DF-9 is a more recent title that was sold under Steam's "Early Access" program, then essentially abandoned once Tim Schafer determined that it wasn't making enough money to justify continued development.

However, that said, in this particular case Tim Schafer has no involvement in the Wasteland 3 crowdfunding campaign. He is a member of the advisory board for Fig, but he has no direct control or involvement with any of the campaigns that are run through the service (aside from the one for Psychonauts 2).