Character Perks and Skills

General discussion about Wasteland 3.
kagenomure
Initiate

Hello. I have only recently started to play wasteland 3 and have come across alot of checks for like weapon moding, hardass, leadership. Things like that.

Is there a way to give each character in my part 2 of each type of perk to pass those checks. LIke Have one that has leaderships and lockpickin, or Hardass and weapon moding, or even kissass and mechanic.

Would that work to allow me to pass those checks or is it based on which ever party member you start the converstation with
somewhereinbeta
Initiate

So long as you have the whole group selected, the expert moves to the front and does the deed. This can be an occasional surprise - if there are mines on the ground, and your sneaky shit expert has to swap with the lockpick, the lockpick may likely trample straight over the mines and set them off.

I found WL3 to be even more of an expert's game than WL2. In WL2, apart from the glass cannon with the SMG, I could max out 4-5 skills, and in WL3, it was more like maxing 3 skills. I did a really fun playthrough, with the Steeltown DLC but not doing the Cult DLC before doing the main quests for the children. I was able to do well enough with one weapon skill and two knowledge skills for each Ranger, and then relying on making Kwon a stone cold killer with sneaky shit and armor modder and Lucia the survivalist, barterer, and weapon modder, along with a crack shot on the pistol. Toastering has much less value in WL3, and you can always just give somebody some Toaster skills and go back for all the toasters, as the arenas aren't cut off to return.

At the very start, there's a silly way to trick them at the base: You can make some fresh recruits who are exclusively good at one thing. So, e.g., when you sweep the base, identify what you have to come back for (probably without talking to anybody, but I made my original two hard/smart asses), you can make somebody who is a lockpicking expert, somebody who is an explosive expert, and hire them then dump them immediately once you've used them. If you've swept an area and it's safe but you missed some items, in general, they'll still be there if you can get back there, so you can go retrieve an expert, use them, and then return them to Greatski.

My opinion on weapon and armor modding: Unless you're using the lowest-tier mods, you aren't really going to want to use them until you are headed to Aspen at minimum, since you can't remove them. That said, if you see even 20mm scopes in e.g,. BB Gunn's store, buy it and save it - you'll be able to upgrade it to a 38mm one, and I ended the last run with everybody having two weapons with 38mm scopes, which is fun with the SMGs especially.
kagenomure
Initiate

well at the moment all im lacking is a weird science, toaster repair and maybe 1 other thing. I got the hard ass, kiss ass, lockpicking, sneaky shit and most everything else covered. The question is should i make a custom character to replace kwon that can cover the skills he has cuase i find its a waste to have sneak shit on him
somewhereinbeta
Initiate

You probably already moved on, but I would have respecced Kwon for the $200 rather than cut him, as he's just colorful throughout the rest of it. Let him visit Ten of Hearts. He's got good advice at other times, too. Remember that you only get 4 rangers, too, so you'd be picking among {Lucia, Vic, Fishlips, Scotchmo, Pizeppi} for the 2 other spots.

In the DLC, having multiple sneaky shits is useful for the challenges. You can position them near the switches and blow them simultaneously.

Return to “Wasteland 3: General Discussion”