Changes after purchase by Microsoft

General discussion about Wasteland 3.
MihaLbl4
Acolyte

As I approached the finale, I realized that the game had changed a lot after the purchase by Microsoft. And she differs from the one that was presented on the site of FIG.

Possibly spoilers

Can't drive Reagan's limousines:
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3/updates/190

Where is Cathedral of the Holy Detonation?
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3/updates/192

Hence the absence of an interesting event the Servants of the Mushroom Cloud and the Gippers
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3/updates/193

Take cover behind a car door
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3/updates/203

Refused to create this map?
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3/updates/208
And this?
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3/updates/531

Changed the concept of a commune to a commune of robots:
The Denver Airport Commune lies to the east of the ruins and is now a colony of artists, hackers, conspiracy nuts, mad scientists, and assorted eccentrics. The Commune is centered around the Space Shuttle Atlantis (which landed here sometime after the bombs fell), and is dedicated to strange experimentation, acts of cyber espionage against the Patriarch, and MANY other things.
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3/updates/301

Where is Everest Hotel and The Suicide Forest? Now is this the ski resort that Vic Buchanan is taking over? (((((
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3/updates/357
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3/updates/446

I would like to know why there were deviations from the original? I think the release delay was not for polishing, but for rework :/ I don’t want to say that the game was bad. No! Special thanks to the screenwriters. But in the end the game turned out to be different.

Hello from Russia!) Google Translate.
Gizmo
Grandmaster
badge image for 5p2s6t.png
badge image for 3rz1is.png
badge image for ijw2ib.png

Different than what the sponsors paid for? So... an unexpected (and surely not originally intended) partial bait & switch—due to new management?
MihaLbl4
Acolyte

But the bakers paid for exactly that concept. New management can't change the concept? Refusal of some locations and game mechanics after buying a studio? I followed the updates on fig and the changes started after buying the studio.
Drool
Forum Moderator
badge image for 5p2s6t.png

MihaLbl4 wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 11:01 am But the bakers paid for exactly that concept.
That seems a bit... over done.

I don't think anybody backed this game exclusively for the Shining reference.
Alwa nasci korliri das.
MihaLbl4
Acolyte

Drool wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 1:32 pm
MihaLbl4 wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 11:01 am But the bakers paid for exactly that concept.
That seems a bit... over done.

I don't think anybody backed this game exclusively for the Shining reference.
of course there are changes during development, but refuse a potentially interesting location and devote more than one diary to it...
marceror
Adventurer
badge image for 3rz1is.png
badge image for wl3badge.png

I had forgotten about a lot of those early updates. I had heard there were many cuts, and the current length of the game reflects that. It will be sad when these areas come out as paid DLCs that those of us who backed the game expecting to receive have to go back and shell out more $$ to get them. :/
Mole204
Explorer
badge image for wl3badge.png

They delayed the game by months and there were cuts?! I haven't finished the game myself, (I'm still on my 1st run) so I thought that there just wasn't things I'd gotten to. Like the chain of events for the Suicide Hotel. Me, I kind of liked that concept. More so after taking a look around Broadmoore...
Anyway I still think that having only one thing happen per location is a bit of a waste. Yeah, the clowns were tough, but the tent could still be used afterwards, like having the Grinder Clown move in afterwards. Any game developer would gladly reuse a level for a second story instead of just leaving large expanses of dead space on a map. The conspiracy nuts could move into the Airport due to something the Rangers do. (Move the DND game there?) We were told we could drive Morningstar, and there's nothing stopping there being a story hook about getting a new engine from the Machines. There's a ton of ways the old hints could be folded into WL3 as it is. I'll admit that there's been a few changes, and some of them might be better- like Fishface's new encounter being more to the point. But some people wanted the game elements shown in their ads to be in the game! If they were going to build a ad campaign around something, they should follow through on it!
cealicu_ca
Initiate

Well... I'd like to bump this. I mean don't get me wrong, I really liked WL3, and sunk quite a lot of time in one playthrough. Unfortunately I don't think I'll re-visit soon, maybe in some 12 months after the patches come in and hopefully at least one DLC.

The point is that I just started replaying Wasteland 2. And this time I'm playing the DC edition (originally finished the game on the normal edition) and oh boy, I mean I haven't even gotten to the suicide nuke monks part and Wasteland 2 feels simply... a lot more than Wasteland 3, content wise, already!!! and I haven't even gotten to the best part. I mean I remember the Titan was, content wise, almost as much as all that came before it (including side quests and the long AgCenter path). Sooo... basically WL3 is simply... barren. And, while I understand that each has his/her own opinion, I never appreciate cRPGs by their graphic qualities primarily, but rather by the story and mechanics.

About the mechanics - I don't "hate" the new "all team in one go" approach, it's just that I feel it takes away from the tactical part of the game. Having your chars in WL2 planning ahead which enemy to engage (because if there is this enemy that comes after your char it may throw a grenade or crit the hell out of one of your squishier chars). So yes, I'm probably on the minority here, but I don't see this as fixing some of the issues the combat mechanics had in WL 2 (taking it away is definitely what i's call, in IT, a lazy fix...)

Content - It's just a shame that WL3 lacks content and maybe even depth and personally I feel there are places where you can see that at least some content was cut. For example, you have the guy in Colorado Springs working on mending the electric fence, you can talk about that, no quest (or at least none that was available to me). However, you also have the scientist (100 family member) what has this solar panel that you can improve upon, as well as his son whom you can rescue. Seem like some match made in heaven? Bring some electricity back to Colorado Springs?

Denver - that was a disappointment. Felt frustratingly short (commune included) - apart from pew pew. I mean after you clear the kite people you get "mutants" (god damn I waited to see real mutants (yeah, "real mutants" right?) up until I realized the game will end... That's when I realized that my suspicion that Drools are Mutants is true :( ) but nothing related to pew pew them.

Few side-side quests. Few stories branching and/or coming together. And, of Course... Angela. I mean in WL 2 she makes a point out of saving some poor girls kept in kennels by that Pitbull I wasted in the rails camp and now she wants to help a Slaver go rape, pillage and murder some other lands just to get this dictator (who is not that bad after all) removed form power and "let's see what happens?"?!?! It's just... I don't know, it's just so Daenerys destroying King's Landing. And yes, this is not in my review (shamelessly promoting my post... not) but frankly it was an oversight and it simply became much more apparent when playing Wasteland 2.

Now, even the graphics. On 1080p (+ max graph settings) WL 2 DC looks very nice. And maybe it's the pallet, maybe I just enjoy warmer colors, but definitely I feel like WL2 looks better than WL3 save for effects and such. Anyway, I *know* that WL3 is better, graphics wise, but I simply don't perceive it as a huge improvement (most of the times not even an improvement).

so... I fully expect/hope for a content patch or inexpensive DLC (considering the initial price of the game).
Valermus
Initiate

cealicu_ca wrote: October 4th, 2020, 8:40 am Well... I'd like to bump this. I mean don't get me wrong, I really liked WL3, and sunk quite a lot of time in one playthrough. Unfortunately I don't think I'll re-visit soon, maybe in some 12 months after the patches come in and hopefully at least one DLC.

The point is that I just started replaying Wasteland 2. And this time I'm playing the DC edition (originally finished the game on the normal edition) and oh boy, I mean I haven't even gotten to the suicide nuke monks part and Wasteland 2 feels simply... a lot more than Wasteland 3, content wise, already!!! and I haven't even gotten to the best part. I mean I remember the Titan was, content wise, almost as much as all that came before it (including side quests and the long AgCenter path). Sooo... basically WL3 is simply... barren. And, while I understand that each has his/her own opinion, I never appreciate cRPGs by their graphic qualities primarily, but rather by the story and mechanics.

About the mechanics - I don't "hate" the new "all team in one go" approach, it's just that I feel it takes away from the tactical part of the game. Having your chars in WL2 planning ahead which enemy to engage (because if there is this enemy that comes after your char it may throw a grenade or crit the hell out of one of your squishier chars). So yes, I'm probably on the minority here, but I don't see this as fixing some of the issues the combat mechanics had in WL 2 (taking it away is definitely what i's call, in IT, a lazy fix...)

Content - It's just a shame that WL3 lacks content and maybe even depth and personally I feel there are places where you can see that at least some content was cut. For example, you have the guy in Colorado Springs working on mending the electric fence, you can talk about that, no quest (or at least none that was available to me). However, you also have the scientist (100 family member) what has this solar panel that you can improve upon, as well as his son whom you can rescue. Seem like some match made in heaven? Bring some electricity back to Colorado Springs?

Denver - that was a disappointment. Felt frustratingly short (commune included) - apart from pew pew. I mean after you clear the kite people you get "mutants" (god damn I waited to see real mutants (yeah, "real mutants" right?) up until I realized the game will end... That's when I realized that my suspicion that Drools are Mutants is true :( ) but nothing related to pew pew them.

Few side-side quests. Few stories branching and/or coming together. And, of Course... Angela. I mean in WL 2 she makes a point out of saving some poor girls kept in kennels by that Pitbull I wasted in the rails camp and now she wants to help a Slaver go rape, pillage and murder some other lands just to get this dictator (who is not that bad after all) removed form power and "let's see what happens?"?!?! It's just... I don't know, it's just so Daenerys destroying King's Landing. And yes, this is not in my review (shamelessly promoting my post... not) but frankly it was an oversight and it simply became much more apparent when playing Wasteland 2.

Now, even the graphics. On 1080p (+ max graph settings) WL 2 DC looks very nice. And maybe it's the pallet, maybe I just enjoy warmer colors, but definitely I feel like WL2 looks better than WL3 save for effects and such. Anyway, I *know* that WL3 is better, graphics wise, but I simply don't perceive it as a huge improvement (most of the times not even an improvement).

so... I fully expect/hope for a content patch or inexpensive DLC (considering the initial price of the game).
Your post is exactly what lots of people feel and agrees upon almost all of the points you mentioned. I am one of them, just letting you know that you are not alone.
Juris
Scholar

It's a more polished game than W2 - but obviously shorter as you said. DLC is coming so that's not too terrible. I like the revise to the stats - no more dump stats unlike W2.

Also - there's no indication Microsoft changed W3 at all. You think Satya Nadella didn't want Reagan's limo in the game? ;)
MihaLbl4
Acolyte

I hope we are in the second DLC we will see Cathedral of the Holy Detonation, Everest Hotel and the Suicide Forest and other cut content.
Pvt Kobold
Acolyte

MihaLbl4 wrote: July 30th, 2021, 9:13 am I hope we are in the second DLC we will see Cathedral of the Holy Detonation, Everest Hotel and the Suicide Forest and other cut content.
Sadly they said 2nd and final dlc (that dlc most likely being the holy detonation) so I don’t know what will happen to the other cut stuff
Sister Nancy Gaming

Return to “Wasteland 3: General Discussion”