Game modding

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!
fuzzyballs01
Scholar

So a big way to keep games alive is modding them.
How big are the odds of WL3 getting an XCOM2 or Bethesda type modding system? just select on the workshop, enable in the launcher and presto, more variety in everything from guns to armour, and some rebalancing.
edit: that also reminded me that the reason XCOM 2 is so replayable is because of randomisation
how much randomisation will WL3 have? if everything is set in stone like in WL2, what's the point in playing through the whole thing more than once every six months? you know what to expect, every game after the first one will just be the same

Any users with a username regarding an animal suited to subterranean lifestyle need not reply.
Stuurminator
Scholar

fuzzyballs01 wrote: October 3rd, 2019, 5:19 amAny users with a username regarding an animal suited to subterranean lifestyle...
Like, mouse burrows?

Grohal
Master
badge image for 5p2s6t.png
badge image for wl3badge.png

Modding makes most games better. Can't stand Bethesda-Vanilla stuff anymore. Also the Paradox-games gain much from modding.

At worst everyone gets the game the way he wants with modding. So I am all for it.
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.
Drool
Forum Moderator
badge image for 5p2s6t.png
badge image for ijw2ib.png

fuzzyballs01 wrote: October 3rd, 2019, 5:19 amHow big are the odds of WL3 getting an XCOM2 or Bethesda type modding system?
Considering the modding support for WL2 (where it was an actual, achieved, stretch goal), I'm gonna say "slim to none".
Alwa nasci korliri das.
fuzzyballs01
Scholar

Grohal wrote: October 4th, 2019, 1:40 am At worst everyone gets the game the way he wants with modding. So I am all for it.
so did my Skyrim combat mod get lost in the mail or something? the closest I got was finding a mod that adds weapon collision, and spending 2 hours jurry rigging it to work in VR, which FINALLY makes dual wielding fun
fuzzyballs01
Scholar

Drool wrote: October 4th, 2019, 1:55 pm
fuzzyballs01 wrote: October 3rd, 2019, 5:19 amHow big are the odds of WL3 getting an XCOM2 or Bethesda type modding system?
Considering the modding support for WL2 (where it was an actual, achieved, stretch goal), I'm gonna say "slim to none".
but we got Microsoft money now, dude
it's not like I'm expecting XCOM 2's "here's half a game and mod tools, create the rest yourself" type of game, but I'd like some mod tools to eventually come out

but then my second question, how much randomising is there? is the main story just going to end with nothing left to do, or are there going to be random events/missions? like "enemy type (c) is doing bad thing (f) at location (d), go out there and sternly wag your finger (it's up to you if it's in their face or on your triggers)"

that kind of stuff could be modded
armours and weapons, amount of enemies, enemy types, nothing huge like a whole new area with story
just more meat in the mystery stew
fuzzyballs01
Scholar

151 views, 5 replies
where exactly do you go to get answers from the actual devs if not the official forum
Saint_Mattis
Initiate

Drool wrote: October 4th, 2019, 1:55 pm
Lack of modding support from devs does not mean it's not possible. I'm hoping the engine and files make it easier than Wasteland 2.
Jeow
Initiate

1 Year later I am going to Bump This conversation back to the front. I was desperate to mod this game, and no tools were ever mentioned. I seriously would have spent weeks modding fallout 3 and 4, I was so disappointed at how few mods WL2 had.
NoRanger
Initiate

WL2 had no tools either, but some instructions were shown (deleted from this site someday) how to override content by proper file and folder usage within the installation.
It’s been a while for me, but it looks like that WL3's asset archives reveal even less stuff than before. I've made some pitiful attempts to add json files in a similar fashion like in WL2, but no success so far. It's like inxile curled their stuff more in than before; possibly to avoid these annoying support instructions:

"A friendly reminder: while we deeply admire the contribution that mod authors make to our game, we would like you to remember that running custom modifications can lead to unexpected bugs and crashes. Unfortunately, if you encounter any issues while playing with mods, our team will not be able to help you. If this happens, please report these issues to the mod's original creator. Also, remember that after each game update, there is a high probability of previously installed mods not functioning properly. If you wish to play with mods anyway, disabling auto-updates might prevent your save files from becoming corrupted."

:D

PS: I'm no bot, dear moderator. Can't you realize that finally? ;)
Last edited by NoRanger on December 19th, 2020, 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
FYKC
Acolyte
badge image for wl3badge.png

I hope it's something the devs look into!
GaLL1arD
Initiate

Not gonna lie that I went through the trouble of creating this account just to ask about modding. Yes, it would make the game trully remarkable! I believe it's possible to change recruits models through save editor (head, hair, torso, pants), but where are NPCs portraits stored? Want to try to mod recruits.
Mattonomicon
Developer
badge image for 4o80c0.png

Hey all, as it currently stands there's no plans to offer mod support. Apologies I didn't have better news to offer in regards to this. With that said, as any updates about the game become available we'll be sure to continue to broadcast those across our channels including these forums.

Return to “Wasteland 3: General Discussion”