New Game Plus Discussion

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!
Mattonomicon
Developer
badge image for 4o80c0.png

Greetings Rangers! Our Devs are currently mulling about the possibility (and that’s a key word here) of a New Game Plus mode for Wasteland 3. With that said, at this point there’s some technical challenges which may put a spin on the typical NG+ mode you might expect. If you’re unfamiliar with NG+, the brief breakdown for that is it’s a mode you can typically unlock in some games once you complete the game, whereby you keep some of the progress you earned along the way, and take that into a refreshed and harder mode to test your mettle.

In the case of Wasteland 3, some of the logistics for such a mode are easier to accomplish than other elements, though nothing it is necessarily impossible. If you have any specific suggestions for how you’d like to see the mode implemented in Wasteland 3, please feel free to chime in.

I’ll kick this off here with a question – In a NG+ where you go to keep your party from your completed game but had their level re-set back to level 1, what aspects from your end-game party do you feel is important to carry into the NG+, and what aspects of your party are you ok with having re-set or partially re-set? Example - “I’d like to keep my perks, but I’d be OK with my skills re-setting.”

Thanks for reading and offering your thoughts!

Matt
inXile CM
Rayman
Novice

Since + NG is added, for example, thank you very much for that. :heart: I would like to do whatever I want after going through an ambush site with no level limit. For example, I want to do a union station to recruit Fishlips and Morningstar very early or Aspen to recruit Pizepi and Vic very early. The only problem is radiation, but I think with + NG it wouldn't be a problem for the kodiak to have radiation protection and awesome weapons right after the ambush site, right?

It would be cool if a player in +NG mode could do whatever he wants to do.
Juris
Scholar

NG+ where level re-set to 1? Just keep attributes this is pure superhero mode. Otherwise, if you kept everything there almost wouldn't be a point in leveling (you'd run out of perks, max out all relevant skills).

NG+ ideas:
1) Harder encounters for sure - maybe some special bad guys you could only fight on NG+ mode;
2) NG+ only locations on the main map - where's the Boors factory? Can't believe there's no Boors factory it's Colorado!;
3) Unique NG+ items (probably dropped by the special bad guys);

Those are just generic ideas.

BTW would we be able to import individual characters like NG+ in W2? I'd like to try mixing characters from different playthroughs.
Mattonomicon wrote: February 10th, 2021, 9:51 am
I’ll kick this off here with a question – In a NG+ where you go to keep your party from your completed game but had their level re-set back to level 1, what aspects from your end-game party do you feel is important to carry into the NG+, and what aspects of your party are you ok with having re-set or partially re-set? Example - “I’d like to keep my perks, but I’d be OK with my skills re-setting.”

Matt
inXile CM
Acrux
Initiate

Do other games have new content in NG+ mode? U thought it was usually just keeping high level stats, or weapons, or whatnot in the new game.

I don't have interest in NG+ and I wouldn't want to miss out on new content because of it.
FYKC
Acolyte
badge image for wl3badge.png

I think a New Game+ should allow the same team to be carried through any number of playthroughs with ever increasing numbers, even if this leads to what can be described as insanity.
Mattonomicon wrote: February 10th, 2021, 9:51 am I’ll kick this off here with a question – In a NG+ where you go to keep your party from your completed game but had their level re-set back to level 1, what aspects from your end-game party do you feel is important to carry into the NG+, and what aspects of your party are you ok with having re-set or partially re-set? Example - “I’d like to keep my perks, but I’d be OK with my skills re-setting.”
In this scenario I would like to carry over:

Upgraded Kodiak & radiation protection
--I want to be able to freely travel and explore the map and recruit anybody from the start.

--If I'm loved or hated, I wanna start again with everyone having preconceived notions about the Rangers.

Party inventory & cash (+weapons & armor & mods)
--This just seems like the right and logical thing to do for a NG+ at a minimum

Perks & Skills & Attributes
--For ALL characters that may have been created/recruited. When I recruit Kwon/whoever, for example, his stats and equipment from last playthrough are carried over with him. In the case of Player created Rangers, I'd like to see them hanging out in the Ranger HQ roster ready to be picked up again.
--Allows Rangers to stand against NG+ threats without having to totally overhaul the item economy to compensate.
--I'd like to see (overpowered? wacky?) NG+ specific perks, and (highly)boosted versions of already existing perks.
--Maybe some kind of system like "Prestige Levels" in other games, where you can reset the level of something once you max it out for an upgraded/stronger base version that can then be leveled and upgraded again even further. In this case, the character level is reset to 1, but they still functionally have all their skills, attributes, and perks, but upon leveling everything can be selected again and further boosted.

Additionally beyond just carrying stuff over, I'd also love to see:

Remixed Combat Encounters
--Semi-Scaled enemies
--Higher numbers of enemies, multi-stage battles with waves of enemy reinforcements, different enemy arrangements on the battlefield.
--Enemy vehicles and other end-game enemies pop up from the get go.
--New enemy types, new weapons, new traps, more "boss" enemies with new, unique NG+ gear and items.

New Encounters
--New, more varied random encounters. Three way battles between Rangers, Robots, and Desperados.
--More synths to kill.

Items
--Higher chance of rare/high level items dropping
FYKC
Acolyte

To further clarify what I mean with the prestige system I'm thinking of.

Let's suppose Ranger Tom finishes the game with the "Hardened" perk. In New Game+ his level/stats/perks are reset to level 1, but functionally his stats from before still apply, so Tom begins with +2 armor thanks to the Hardened perk from before. Now, when Tom levels up in NG+, he can choose Hardened again for an additional +2.

Include a screen to view character stats in detail, including their original end-game stats + NG+ changes.
BlueSpark
Scholar

I don't have any particular thoughts on what aspects of my party to keep for the new playthrough. I'll let you guys figure that out.

What I would appreciate for a NG+ system is a shop to unlock different options to make the new playthrough stand out in some way or other. There could be several options which make things more chaotic/quirky (Think of the Wild Wasteland trait in Fallout New Vegas). And then possibly other options which affect the behavior of weapons in some fundamental way.

I know I'm just spitballing very general ideas here, but I think the goal should be to make the gameplay experience of future playthroughs different enough to make you want to experiment and go for another rodeo. And then another. And another.
TirnanCP
Initiate

BlueSpark wrote: February 15th, 2021, 2:00 am What I would appreciate for a NG+ system is a shop to unlock different options to make the new playthrough stand out in some way or other. There could be several options which make things more chaotic/quirky (Think of the Wild Wasteland trait in Fallout New Vegas). And then possibly other options which affect the behavior of weapons in some fundamental way.
Yeah, I agree with this. I think that Wild Wasteland provided a really neat twist on gameplay. A menu where you could choose some of these aspects for the game would be really cool. Could be similar to the Quirks that you can choose for your Rangers when you generate them. At the start of a new run you can pick one or two Quirks for the world. This could come with positives and negatives. For instance, something like "Elites" where encounters can now have specialized enemies with specific perks/buffs. The trade off would be that defeating these stronger foes might drop specialized items or give your party access to perks. Or like a mod for weather effects where there are weird storms that can affect outdoor areas or spawn special events.

I also think that it would be very cool for there to just be new events that can only appear in NG+. That would make for some nice surprises to look forward to when spinning up a new playthrough.
Drool
Forum Moderator
badge image for 5p2s6t.png
badge image for ijw2ib.png

Mattonomicon wrote: February 10th, 2021, 9:51 am Greetings Rangers! Our Devs are currently mulling about the possibility (and that’s a key word here) of a New Game Plus mode for Wasteland 3.
How about for WL:R?
Alwa nasci korliri das.
Soulrift
Initiate

Premise #1: Some things are easy to implement in NG+, some things are hard, so ideally the implementation should involve as many easy things as possible and as few hard things as possible.
Premise #2: NG+, like cheat modes or save game editors, expands on the possible fun of a game by letting players play with it in their own way, like taking your Legos and building something very different.

Solution: NG+ should give you a list of checkboxes of what you want to start the new game with, and those options should be the things that are easy to implement.

XP: You start the game with the same XP as you end the game with (XP of your highest character). Your two starting rangers start with this much XP instead of 0. I believe the game already scales everyone else you recruit in the future to your level, so this should be very easy to implement. This is easier than restarting with the exact same rangers, as they may have acquired quest-related flags along the way. Also, you probably couldn't start with recruitable NPCs. So just the XP variable carry-over is easy.

Money: You start the game with the money you had when you end the game instead of 0. Very simple to implement.

Inventory: You start the game with "most" of the inventory you ended the game with. Equipment, consumables, mods, etc. should be easy to port over. Quest items would obviously not port over. Other items that are problematic wouldn't port over. Would probably require some kind of database pass to flag items as "can be carried over in NG+" true/false. Moderate difficulty to implement.

Reputation levels: Should be simple, but could cause bugs. Quick pass to make sure it's safe. Moderate difficulty to implement.

Kodiak upgrades & shielding: should be simple, but could cause bugs. Moderate.

So with this checkbox system, you could, for example, have high level rangers but choose to have fresh gear, so you still have "gear progression" even if you don't have so much "level progression". Or, swap that around, and you have to level back up again but have all your end-game gear, so you don't have to go find things (or perhaps get duplicates of particularly rare things). Ultimately, it gives players a lot of customization over NG+ to make the game "different" depending on what experience they're looking for.

Best part about this is that it allows the devs to implement NG+ in phases. You can start with a quick-and-dirty NG+ with the easiest options, then add more difficult options in future patches. You can experiment with what works and what doesn't, and decide if you want to invest heavily in a whole new game with higher scaling enemies, more levels of gear, more perks, etc. etc. But you don't have to commit to it out of the gate: you start with something easy, see how players like it, and go from there.
demeisen
Explorer

This isn't quite NG+, but I'd even have enjoyed an arena mode after completing the game, just on the random encounter maps. I'm thinking something like: give me a random encounter with my party as it existed at game-end. If I survive that, give me a harder one... and a harder one, and so on until I'm utterly destroyed or give up. Whatever difficulty level I chose, there will be challenge aplenty once the enemies become numerous enough.

It doesn't need new art assets of any type. Just the random maps and something to bump the difficulty each time around.

I like some of the ideas in the thread too - e.g, a new run with harder encounters on average (but using the same difficulty level rules - just more and harder enemies).
wyrdlite
Initiate

I think letting the player choose what carries over is the way to go. I know for myself, I use NG+ as an easy mode to see things I missed the first time or to pick all the right choices and put together that perfect run. Some people want more challenge so, IMO, combining stronger enemies with the ability to mix'n'match your difficulty level is the best way to go.
FYKC
Acolyte

demeisen wrote: March 5th, 2021, 4:26 pm This isn't quite NG+, but I'd even have enjoyed an arena mode after completing the game, just on the random encounter maps. I'm thinking something like: give me a random encounter with my party as it existed at game-end. If I survive that, give me a harder one... and a harder one, and so on until I'm utterly destroyed or give up. Whatever difficulty level I chose, there will be challenge aplenty once the enemies become numerous enough.

It doesn't need new art assets of any type. Just the random maps and something to bump the difficulty each time around.

I like some of the ideas in the thread too - e.g, a new run with harder encounters on average (but using the same difficulty level rules - just more and harder enemies).
Yeah, not exactly NG+, but a Wave Defense-like mode would be pretty killer.
thebigT125
Initiate

I'd love to keep my skills and attributes, even if that means my perks and gear are gone. Maybe make leveling up take more XP in New Game+?
Cipher
Scholar

I think a New Game Plus like Wasteland 2 would suffice to me
Bogus Juan
Initiate

The thing that annoys me most is having content cut off due to spec. So long as I get to keep the skills anything else is fine with me.
FireHawk42
Initiate

Cipher wrote: April 24th, 2021, 4:58 am I think a New Game Plus like Wasteland 2 would suffice to me
I agree. This was one of my disappointments with WL3. I like to do multiple run throughs to level up my team and try new things. Teams should keep their skills and attributes with no high end cap even if that eventually makes them a super team, they would have earned it with the number of repeats.

Please bring this back.
KozmoLuv
Initiate

FYKC wrote: February 13th, 2021, 4:40 pm I think a New Game+ should allow the same team to be carried through any number of playthroughs with ever increasing numbers, even if this leads to what can be described as insanity.
Mattonomicon wrote: February 10th, 2021, 9:51 am I’ll kick this off here with a question – In a NG+ where you go to keep your party from your completed game but had their level re-set back to level 1, what aspects from your end-game party do you feel is important to carry into the NG+, and what aspects of your party are you ok with having re-set or partially re-set? Example - “I’d like to keep my perks, but I’d be OK with my skills re-setting.”
In this scenario I would like to carry over:

Upgraded Kodiak & radiation protection
--I want to be able to freely travel and explore the map and recruit anybody from the start.

--If I'm loved or hated, I wanna start again with everyone having preconceived notions about the Rangers.

Party inventory & cash (+weapons & armor & mods)
--This just seems like the right and logical thing to do for a NG+ at a minimum

Perks & Skills & Attributes
--For ALL characters that may have been created/recruited. When I recruit Kwon/whoever, for example, his stats and equipment from last playthrough are carried over with him. In the case of Player created Rangers, I'd like to see them hanging out in the Ranger HQ roster ready to be picked up again.
--Allows Rangers to stand against NG+ threats without having to totally overhaul the item economy to compensate.
--I'd like to see (overpowered? wacky?) NG+ specific perks, and (highly)boosted versions of already existing perks.
--Maybe some kind of system like "Prestige Levels" in other games, where you can reset the level of something once you max it out for an upgraded/stronger base version that can then be leveled and upgraded again even further. In this case, the character level is reset to 1, but they still functionally have all their skills, attributes, and perks, but upon leveling everything can be selected again and further boosted.

Additionally beyond just carrying stuff over, I'd also love to see:

Remixed Combat Encounters
--Semi-Scaled enemies
--Higher numbers of enemies, multi-stage battles with waves of enemy reinforcements, different enemy arrangements on the battlefield.
--Enemy vehicles and other end-game enemies pop up from the get go.
--New enemy types, new weapons, new traps, more "boss" enemies with new, unique NG+ gear and items.

New Encounters
--New, more varied random encounters. Three way battles between Rangers, Robots, and Desperados.
--More synths to kill.

Items
--Higher chance of rare/high level items dropping
Yeah I like all of this. I wondered why NG+ wasn't an option, as in 2 I could replay a certain path again but this time not miss out on some of the skill checks I missed before. I guess for me, I'd like full exploration for each playstyle.
Cipher
Scholar

Not to mention the fact that now , with the new dlc , we gotta restart all over again. Submit a new game plus , please!

Return to “Wasteland 3: General Discussion”