Allow to respec char

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

adastra
Initiate

Allow to respec char

Post by adastra »

I really enjoy the game, but I really wish there was a feature to respec your chars. When I started I didn't really have much of an idea of what I was doing, and my main char now has way too many skills at lvl 1. It would be great to have a feature that allows me to reassign those wasted skill points so I can build a better, more specialized squad - perhaps this would be a great feature to be added to the wardrobe at headquarters and could work similar to how the mirror works in Divinity: Original Sin 2!
Docsis6710
Initiate

Re: Allow to respec char

Post by Docsis6710 »

yeah.. i started the game over after several hours of game time after realizing I had wasted all my points on useless skills.
Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool »

By and large, you get plenty of points that a few wasted skillpoints aren't the end of the world. Especially if you save skill books to go from 9 to 10.
Alwa nasci korliri das.
daniel
Initiate

Post by daniel »

I would support this idea. It would make the game much more beginner friendly. Who wants to start over after 4 hrs and realizing you made bad leveling choices?
BlueSpark
Scholar

Post by BlueSpark »

I generally wouldn't endorse a respec option in an RPG like this as it seems too abusable (Respec, get your Lockpick skill to 9 to pass that tough check, then go back and pick your normal skills again).

However, Wasteland 3 already allows you to create an infinite number of new rangers at (almost) the same level as your current characters whom you can spec as needed. That's basically equivalent to a respec.

So if it were up to me, I'd introduce a respec option to the game. Add an NPC to Ranger HQ who retrains your characters, and make it cost an amount of cash dependent on the character's level. This way, using it wouldn't feel like an exploit.

And then you could even consider enabling this option for companions, as well. I think there are arguments for both sides here, but by and large, I support the idea of allowing a full respec (save for Backgrounds) on companions so players can better plan out their party, especially for companions joining your ranks way later into the game.
adastra
Initiate

Post by adastra »

BlueSpark wrote: September 15th, 2020, 12:57 am So if it were up to me, I'd introduce a respec option to the game. Add an NPC to Ranger HQ who retrains your characters, and make it cost an amount of cash dependent on the character's level. This way, using it wouldn't feel like an exploit.
I think this is a really good idea! I'd love to see a feature like this in an upcoming patch.

I know that it's supposedly easy to switch out characters, but I tend to get a bit attached to my squad and just switching them out seems a bit... wrong? I think it also requires way more effort to transfer everything to a new character when basically all I really want to do it just regain the ~10 skillpoints I wasted and assign them to a more useful skill.
bobwalt
Initiate

Post by bobwalt »

I would love to be able to respec characters as there are too many quests early on that require high levels in what, at first to someone new to Wasteland, appear to be obscure skills. This is especially true since there is no manual.
Mattonomicon
Developer

Post by Mattonomicon »

Thanks all, keep the suggestions and feedback coming. I don't have any specific info to report on this, but I just wanted to let you know we're keeping our eyes out for suggestions along these lines.
Bbonnette
Initiate

Post by Bbonnette »

This is a great idea. I like the notion of someone in Ranger HQ. I do believe it would be less "abuseable" as someone put it.
Ivory Samoan
Initiate

Post by Ivory Samoan »

Respec Ranger at HQ that costs quite a hefty sum (dependent on level) is a great idea.

Awesome to see the Devs on these threads noting when they take in interest in a suggestion too: so good!
FordPerfect
Initiate

Post by FordPerfect »

Additionally limit the number of possible respec (... maybe depending on difficulty; no respec on highest or only once)
Knox Bison Range:
NPC A: "Howdy, name's Darryl."
NPC B (other voice): "Howdy, name's Darryl."
:mrgreen:
Hawkeye
Acolyte

Post by Hawkeye »

I'd vote for the Pathfinder: Kingmaker route.
In that game, you can re-spec twice (or was it three times?) for free and then it costs an ever rising amount of money to do it.

This would allow you to re-spec your guys when making stupid newbie mistakes like grabbing way too many skills for your starting Rangers (yep, guilty as charged) without a hefty fine while preventing complete abuse of the system,

Then again, this _is_ a single player game and I don't really care if another player abuses a game mechanic
(there is, apparently, a way to make unlimited money. I won't use it but if using such an exploit is giving you fun, who am I to judge you?)
Of course I belive in peace - peace through superior firepower
Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo »

Well... I am entirely against respec of any kind; not the least of which for the logical errors they introduce into the narrative.
eg. Having past accomplishments gained with abilities the party members never learned—because of the magical undo of their entire education, and instantaneous re-education of different skill training. :x

*One could argue that their respec changed only an unused skill; sure, but that can still add skills that they logically should have used previously had they known them at the time.
marceror
Adventurer

Post by marceror »

If something like this is added, it should be severely limited. Like maybe only once in a character's lifetime can this be done. This would allow folks who really screwed up their characters in the early game, to not have to entirely ditch them and start over. I tend to run squads made up of people who are meaningful to me, like direct family members, and I wouldn't want to drop them mid game to address early game mistakes.
viasqi
Initiate

Post by viasqi »

until an update is coming you can use trainers :
- regular rangers can be replaced using the Manage Squad without limit
- companions can be " edited " in case you feel they are not as they should
- i use the trainer named " Fling "
Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool »

Ivory Samoan wrote: September 16th, 2020, 3:46 pm Respec Ranger at HQ that costs quite a hefty sum (dependent on level) is a great idea.
"Hefty" is kind of meaningless, though, especially since Barter breaks the economy.
Alwa nasci korliri das.
BlueSpark
Scholar

Post by BlueSpark »

Drool wrote: September 18th, 2020, 2:34 pm "Hefty" is kind of meaningless, though, especially since Barter breaks the economy.
Well, we should be able to agree on the fact that Antiques Appraiser needs to be reworked, strongly tuned, or at the very least fixed (I strongly expect this to happen down the line).
marceror
Adventurer

Post by marceror »

BlueSpark wrote: September 19th, 2020, 1:29 am
Drool wrote: September 18th, 2020, 2:34 pm "Hefty" is kind of meaningless, though, especially since Barter breaks the economy.
Well, we should be able to agree on the fact that Antiques Appraiser needs to be reworked, strongly tuned, or at the very least fixed (I strongly expect this to happen down the line).
What do you mean? I think it's totally reasonable that someone really finds special significance with my stack of 4,000 scrap, and decides to pay me 150,000 dollars for it. And then let's me buy it back from them for 4,000 dollars. And then is happy to do this over and over again until they've paid me over 1,000,000, and have nothing to show for it at the end (because I buy back the 4,000 scrap for a rainy day).

Isn't that how money works?
Mr Drigg
Initiate

Post by Mr Drigg »

Regarding adding a respec npc at HQ, how about using an existing asset: Irv and his cloning pod?

His 'mostly' painless procedure could come with the caveat that upon each respec you drop a single level. Each attempt equates to -1 attribute, -3 skill points.... That'd prevent excessive use without a doubt, but allow a single use without a huge loss.

A little bonus could be a stackable 'existential quandry' debuff, whilst your ranger decides whether or not they have a soul... :shock:
Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool »

Mr Drigg wrote: September 19th, 2020, 12:41 pmHis 'mostly' painless procedure could come with the caveat that upon each respec you drop a single level. Each attempt equates to -1 attribute, -3 skill points.... That'd prevent excessive use without a doubt, but allow a single use without a huge loss.
That's actually not a terrible idea.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Return to “Wasteland 3: General Discussion”