Steal

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Lucas Jonson
Initiate

Steal

Post by Lucas Jonson » October 24th, 2018, 9:54 am

There will be a "steal" option this time?

fuzzyballs01
Acolyte

Re: Steal

Post by fuzzyballs01 » October 24th, 2018, 11:38 am

you're Rangers
not Raiders

you can't expect people to take you seriously when you go around picking pockets

Stuurminator
Scholar

Post by Stuurminator » October 24th, 2018, 5:11 pm

fuzzyballs01 wrote:
October 24th, 2018, 11:38 am
you're Rangers
not Raiders

you can't expect people to take you seriously when you go around picking pockets
To be fair, we could do a fair bit of theft in WL2.

fuzzyballs01
Acolyte

Post by fuzzyballs01 » October 25th, 2018, 10:37 am

that's more RPG world looting than theft
if nobody stops you, it's not theft
and there were still alarms

at that point it's a personal choice
I didn't dig up any graves in my games because grave digging is wrong
opening a safe and taking 12 scrap out so nobody notices is meh

Mole204
Scholar

Post by Mole204 » December 4th, 2018, 1:03 am

Colorado is landlocked, right? Is there any way we could steal what'shisname's boat, anyway? We got vehicles for WL3, we could always steal a car or two from a locked garage. They can't _all_ be rusting on the highway. WL2 had that option to do a small bank heist in Rodia. We could go on to bigger and better things in WL3. It can't be any harder than the gold cargo salvage side mission. There's got to be an unopened bank somewhere. Not to mention Norad, and the Patriarch's special weapons vault. Assuming we're not distracted by a picture of some general's personal bunker and it's supply of forgotten pre-war wet-bar alcohol.
I wonder if we could steal from the robots? With their factory-building habits, they must have a supply of various precious metals, not just iron and copper.
Anyway, stealing is bad, even if you're Scotchmo. Stealing is when it's already owned by someone else. Creative salvage is good. Post-self-defense salvage is normal, around there anyways.

fuzzyballs01
Acolyte

Post by fuzzyballs01 » December 9th, 2018, 10:40 am

the way I see it, anything related to stealing in WL2 was either quest-related or just looting the world
if you want to finish the Rodia questline, you have to get into the bankvault, it's not like it's there just so you can rob it
and what's in there? a handfull of generic ammo boxes and one quest related piece of paper

and in RPG's, like say Fallout, I pretend it's either a few bullets so nobody notices you took them, or because there were a few left in the abandoned box
it's a game, it's not about realism
if there was an actual stealing system like Fallout, I wouldn't take any of it, but it's just looting the wastes and your enemies tbh

Gillsing
Scholar

Post by Gillsing » December 9th, 2018, 10:48 am

You can steal dental paste in Los Angeles, rather than trade some rather uncommon Prescription Pain Killers for it. Good thing my Rangers never feel a need for pills. And you can steal animals by using Animal Whisperer. But that's just bad, because there's no option to pay for them, even though they're slaughtered and sold as meat.