Microsoft has bought inXile - What does it mean for WL3?

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

D-D
Acolyte

Microsoft has bought inXile - What does it mean for WL3?

Post by D-D » November 10th, 2018, 3:01 pm

see title. Is it windows 10 exclusive now? Still coming to PS4?

yoomazir
Initiate

Re: Microsoft has bought inXile - What does it mean for WL3?

Post by yoomazir » November 10th, 2018, 3:22 pm

If they do the exclusive thing, they'd have to refund lots of customers.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » November 10th, 2018, 4:40 pm

Hopefully not Wasteland themed FO:76 competitors.

Metallix
Initiate

Post by Metallix » November 10th, 2018, 5:25 pm

It has to, they sold that as option on Fig, and unlike Kickstarter there are legal protections in place that keep them from backing out on their promises.

Araton
Novice

Post by Araton » November 10th, 2018, 6:01 pm

Here's Eurogamer's article on the subject:
https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2018-11-0 ... cquisition

While, I'm not a big fan of the Xbox brand and Microsoft's first party lineup, after reading the article, I think Microsoft just pulled InXile out of the shizz and saved Wasteland 3 for us.

Just to quote something that really raises one's eyebrows:
but beyond Wasteland 2 it hasn't seen much of a return. Both Torment: Tides of Numenera (2017) and The Bard's Tale 4 (2018) sunk without a trace - a pity because they're both deep and imaginative games - and Wasteland 3 (2019) only has a crowdfunded $3.1m to work with. How does a studio with two offices - one in Newport Beach, California, and one in New Orleans - survive on that?
Brian Fargo, said on video at #InsideXbox, that he's not retiring anytime soon:
https://youtu.be/xAcjSQvdDq4

undecaf
Explorer

Post by undecaf » November 11th, 2018, 12:18 am

This doesn't bode well at all for oldschool RPG's.
"A human being in his last extremity IS a bag of shit."

Araton
Novice

Post by Araton » November 11th, 2018, 6:30 am

undecaf wrote:
November 11th, 2018, 12:18 am
This doesn't bode well at all for oldschool RPG's.
Well, your concerns seem pretty legit. Here's It'sAGundam's input on the subject:
https://youtu.be/sVRECi9qv-4?t=617

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » November 11th, 2018, 6:34 am

They said they'll keep promises made to backers, so we should have DRM-free and Linux/Mac (and PS4) versions of WL3 (but probably not at release time, and maybe of lower quality who knows). But after that... I fear it'll then be Windows/Xbox exclusive :(

BurningBright
Initiate

Post by BurningBright » November 11th, 2018, 11:02 am

I am happy for Inxile if it means they can keep making good RPGs like Wasteland 2, 3, and Numenera. I am not excluding Bards Tale 4. I love it. But in my heart I have always been an isometric CRPG player. If it is what is needed to help keep the company financially secure and keep every one working they need to do what they need to do.

I just hope in the process they dont forget about the backers that helped support them and their games all these years. Please keep your games and design philosophy intact. No DLC expansions, no DRM (GOG), just the complete game experience as you have always given us, It is what I have loved about InXile. I know its possible that adhering to this design philosophy has made it tough in the current games market with its slew of easily accessible games and it is commendable that you have given us so many great games that follow a design philosophy like the ones we loved as kids. I hope you continue to do so.

Also, while I am OK with Microsoft as a supporter and very happy you are going to be able to create better games with less of a budget restraint please dont forget not all of us want games locked into a Microsoft store front. I have just learned that a few of the studios that joined under the MS branch of companies had their games at GOG/Steam prior to that and then the sequels never made it to those delivery platforms. This is what worries me the most. I dont want to have my Inxile games on the Microsoft store front. As it stands I rarely use Steam these days. I am at GOG more often then not. That is my preference. If you can give us an update here about the state of things (as far as you are allowed to talk about it).

Please let us know Wasteland 3, and future Inxile games will still be DRM free and not locked in the Microsoft store Eco system.

Kind Regards

Andre.
" I really wish people would stop calling Prey "BioShock in Space". BioShock was "System Shock underwater"

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » November 11th, 2018, 11:18 am

Inxile already twittered:

"We're keeping our backer commitments for BT4 and WL3. Beyond that, it's hard to say. It's still very early in this new relationship."

https://twitter.com/Inxile_Ent/status/1 ... 3473329154
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Mole204
Scholar

Post by Mole204 » November 11th, 2018, 6:32 pm

This is quite a surprize. And not entirely a pleasant one. Who knows what MS will do to Inxile? The quirky, indi game vibe is totally at odds with the MS methods and public appearance. This could easily mean moving away from a adventure shooter, into a cleaner and softer gameplay.
It might not even mean an appearance of the clean white setting of 70s "social fiction" sci-fi, as MS IS the Big Brother of the Business Has Won future. The most predictable move is fewer guns, and more role-playing.
Araton wrote:
November 10th, 2018, 6:01 pm
but beyond Wasteland 2 it hasn't seen much of a return. Both Torment: Tides of Numenera (2017) and The Bard's Tale 4 (2018) sunk without a trace - a pity because they're both deep and imaginative games - and Wasteland 3 (2019) only has a crowdfunded $3.1m to work with. How does a studio with two offices - one in Newport Beach, California, and one in New Orleans - survive on that?
The video game market isn't very known for transparency about sales numbers. Where do these people get their facts?

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » November 11th, 2018, 7:53 pm

Mole204 wrote:
November 11th, 2018, 6:32 pm
The video game market isn't very known for transparency about sales numbers. Where do these people get their facts?
Idk about Eurogamer, which probably has more access and sources that the typical person, but SteamSpy is helpful to some extent since Steam is the largest platform by far. You can't get perfect numbers from there but ballparks, and the ballparks are good for comparison purposes.

For example,

WL2 - 500,000-1 million copies
TToN - 100,000 - 200,000
BTIV - 20,000-50,000

Based on these numbers, you can see inXile's last 2 games didn't do so well. They may have done better on GoG or PS4, but I'd wager not significantly so, if at all. Based on the above data, albeit vague with a large swing in accuracy, I think Eurogamer is most likely correct in their assumption on the last two games, but particularly BTIV. We know they added their own money into it, and with those abysmal numbers, they certainly didn't make back what they contributed.

Gambit2K
Initiate

Post by Gambit2K » November 12th, 2018, 2:00 am

When are Inxile going to adress the ~18000 backers about this?

Back in September there was mention that the next update would be in October, when the release of Bards Tale had calmed down a bit if I remember correctly. But here we are in mid November, and the acquisition was basically confirmed at the start of October to be honest. So Inxile has had quite som time to come of with a statement with the plan going forward...

Jammet
Novice

Post by Jammet » November 12th, 2018, 6:00 am

After reading the news about this just yesterday night, I'm sort of in the middle of having to swallow that. I didn't know InXile was in any financial trouble? Are they?

That would certainly explain the lack of updates on Wasteland 3. I mean -- I've been backing that before anyone had ever heard of another Bards Tale sequel, and then that got announced and produced and sold and, here I am, still waiting for *anything* on Wasteland 3. What happened here? Can anybody sum this up for someone who isn't a frequent forum-goer? :) Please. That would be really cool of you.

I know Brian is saying everything's basically going to remain the same. I hope that'll be true. However, I'm looking for PC games, not XBox games. Or even XBox backports. And when I say PC games, I typically mean distribution channels like Steam, and GOG. I'm just about as bummed out about them having bought OBSIDIAN. Basically my two favourite, last remaining hardcore CRPG studios.

I ... don't know if I'm liking this. I have a bad feeling about it.

Araton
Novice

Post by Araton » November 12th, 2018, 4:31 pm

@Jammet: you've mentioned a lot of things here that concern me as well.
If InXile ran out of money then the acquisition probably saved the company from closing, but I'm not sure about Wasteland 3 at this point. We haven't seen any news on the game. The developers are still working on it according to twitter, though.
The last Wasteland 3 related news was posted mid summer (not counting the one made in september, since that didn't discuss the game, only the company and their other games), we haven't received any news since then.

The game is supposed to be out on Q4 2019, which means if InXile is keeping their schedule, they should be hitting pre-alpha by the end of this year (December, 2018). So, they can start planning the backer alpha tests in Spring, 2019, which might be an overhead for them at this point. This would be followed up by the launch of backer tests during the summer.

su6oxone
Initiate

Post by su6oxone » November 13th, 2018, 1:09 am

As a fan of the original Wasteland and Fallout 1/2, and an almost backer of WL2 (missed the backing phase but did preorder at least), I have to admit I was super disappointed with WL2. It was not the 3D updated spiritual successor to FO1/2 (which themselves were spiritual successors to WL1) that I had hoped and I barely played an hour before giving it up. I was glad to have supported the company by purchasing the game though.

Now that MS has bought inXile and Obsidian (where many of the original FO crew went after Black Isle shut down, as all the geeks here already know most likely), we have a reunited FO team. Brian Fargo was never a major player in FO1/2 development and that probably explains my disappointed with how WL2 turned out. This gives me hope that the WL franchise (if that's a thing) will move forward in a different direction with hopefully Feargus Urquhart leading WL in the future instead of Fargo.

I just hope they don't turn WL into another Bethesda FO and put a greater focus on story while maintaining essential design elements like isometric view and turn based action (no VATS-styled pseudo turn based system)... yeah right! Sad to say but I think we know how this is going to end up.

edit: after doing some online reading about Feargus and the drama a few years ago with the departure of Chris Avellone, it sounds like a total dramatic mess and whatever good these guys did at Black Isle years ago is history.

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » November 13th, 2018, 2:19 am

su6oxone wrote:
November 13th, 2018, 1:09 am
This gives me hope that the WL franchise (if that's a thing) will move forward in a different direction with hopefully Feargus Urquhart leading WL in the future instead of Fargo.

This won't happen. It was already stated that the studios stay seperate and keep working on their own brands.
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Jozape
Explorer

Post by Jozape » November 13th, 2018, 7:22 am

Jammet wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 6:00 am
After reading the news about this just yesterday night, I'm sort of in the middle of having to swallow that. I didn't know InXile was in any financial trouble? Are they?
That is what I am thinking. Crowdfunding is much less popular now, even with Fig breathing some more lift into it. inXile damaged their reputation among the hardcore, and inXile's last three games sold poorly. Few would back or invest in any game proposed by inXile.

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » November 13th, 2018, 8:22 am

Jozape wrote:
November 13th, 2018, 7:22 am
inXile's last three games sold poorly
WL2 sold well. It's the last two games (TTON and BT4) which sold poorly. Unfortunately since TTON was a truly amazing game, but between the messed up PR about the cuts and the fact that it definitely targets a very specific audience... :/

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » November 13th, 2018, 10:00 am

There is already a thread about the merger here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19904