Base Building thread 2

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

fuzzyballs01
Acolyte

Base Building thread 2

Post by fuzzyballs01 » October 15th, 2018, 1:41 am

I'm playing through Wasteland 2 again so I'm back to bitching about this

the way I see it happening? you start outwith a tutorial mission like in XCOM, everything is predetermined, so one guy makes it out, but limping
that's where your squad comes in, find the ranger
you find him in a pre-war bunker that's pretty much fucked
so you get a tutorial where you fix up tier 1 dispatch, barracks and medical facility

and that's where the manditory base building ends, and it can be safely ignored
after that you can just send out squads, who collect items, recruits, whatever

there'd be all sorts of rooms you could fix up, from "newly excavated" to "in working order" up to "fully upgraded", so at least 3 tiers, and that includes visual upgrades from a room that's full of debris shoved to the site, to cleaned up, followed by in perfect order
that also includes staff, let's say for ease sake that you can assign one guy to a tier 1 room up to 5 in a tier 3 room, that's all up to balance and stuff like that

now about staff, you can hire people from the wasteland you run into from the story, or find randomised people in map events, or get them from ranges missions
new staff could have a bonus staff perk, like say "mechanic" or "doctor" and you get a bonus if you put them in the garage or med facility, ya dig?
and then you have the actual rangers you hire, you send them out with dispatch, they level up on their own, find loot on their own, they basically auto-upgrade (basically the power number next to their squad increases) and can get sent onto more dangerous missions, dispatch can send out two squads on two missions at a time at tier 1
rangers also need downtime after missions, so they can heal their wounded
on the one hand, I'd like to handpick squads
on the other hand, if the AI can just pick 4 different weapon types on it's own I'm good
I'd like a 3D screen of the squad, see them upgrade over time, but just data works for me

the way I see missions happening, is if the world map has a clock, they move when you move on the world map
if it doesn't, there's a timer
now, sometimes missions require choices, or calling ranger HQ for advice, it's basically another event where you can make the choice for them
put themselves in danger? save slaves they ran into, and risk failing their current mission? it's up to you

now for building materials, ranger squads could find them as rewards, or you could run into them while playing, like say barrels of fuel, cases of weaponry/armour, equipment
you can call it in, which opens a mission in the dispatch to send a squad to collect it, or you buy them from traders, they even ship it over, and after a timer it's yours
sometimes a trader could fuck you over, so you can go hunt him down, get your scrap back, or bonus goods
and of course, there's the one guy who fucks you over twice

room type ideas:
- Dispatch: lets you send out more and more ranger squads
- Barracks: increase max staff, maybe do two rooms, one for Rangers, one for staff?
- Armoury: weapon and armour shop/storage
- Explosive shop: kinda self-explanatory
- Prison: I dunno, hold bad guys from the story because killing is bad? only 1 tier maybe?
- Mess Hall: gives bonusses to staff and/or ranger squads going out
- Maintenance: keeps the place running, maybe just a staff sink, maybe make everything else cost less to build
- Garage: car storage and repair, both for you and your dispatch ranger squads, big dispatch boost
- Greenhouse; grows crops for the people, more bonus to ranger squads? passive income?
- Bank: for storage of goods (think big picture, it's not just for your squad, buddy)
- Kennel: Holds animals you charmed, can go along with rangers, or be used as guard animals (or pets for little girls)
- Training area, outside : gives offensive bonusses to ranger squads being sent out
- Defences: helps in case an enemy attacks, ya doofus
- Marketplace: also outside, more vendors you can sell junk to per tier, so eventually you have every kind of vendor

and maybe some more tier 1--only upgrades like roads, or ranger star graffiti so everyone knows the Rangers are here to help, just to like
get rid of all the extra resources you don't need in return for slight bonusses

I spent all morning thinking about this, just so you know
Last edited by fuzzyballs01 on October 19th, 2018, 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grohal
Master

Re: Base Building thread 2

Post by Grohal » October 16th, 2018, 4:29 am

Some nice ideas there - I like. :D

Pathfinder Kingmaker is doing a nice Job handling a kingdom. Maybe also get some Inspiration there. :)
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

fuzzyballs01
Acolyte

Post by fuzzyballs01 » October 16th, 2018, 12:54 pm

I don't really want to spend €40 on a generic RPG just to look at their kingdom management
especially when my post was just a morning worth of thinking that won't ever be used

Highwayman667
Initiate

Post by Highwayman667 » October 16th, 2018, 4:22 pm

fuzzyballs01 wrote:
October 15th, 2018, 1:41 am
the way I see it happening? you start outwith a tutorial mission like in XCOM, everything is predetermined, so one guy makes it out, but limping
that's where your squad comes in, find the ranger
you find him in a pre-war bunker that's pretty much fucked
so you get a tutorial where you fix up tier 1 dispatch, barracks and medical facility
Not to get off topic but I thought we started playing as that one guy and then we build our squad.

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » October 17th, 2018, 2:39 am

fuzzyballs01 wrote:
October 16th, 2018, 12:54 pm
I don't really want to spend €40 on a generic RPG just to look at their kingdom management
especially when my post was just a morning worth of thinking that won't ever be used
You do Pathfinder Kingmaker wrong here. The kingdom management part is just that, a part. No need to make it that big in WL3, sure. But it works just like a charm, to get new regions, quests, partymembers and advisors, that handle most of the quests to further the kingdom BESIDE your questing. My saying is: they should check it for inspiration, not do it exactly likewise.

fuzzyballs01
Acolyte

Post by fuzzyballs01 » October 17th, 2018, 4:29 am

Grohal wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 2:39 am
You do Pathfinder Kingmaker wrong here. The kingdom management part is just that, a part. No need to make it that big in WL3, sure. But it works just like a charm, to get new regions, quests, partymembers and advisors, that handle most of the quests to further the kingdom BESIDE your questing. My saying is: they should check it for inspiration, not do it exactly likewise.
turns out I actually pledged the game and forgot about it, so I'm going to be playing it
don't spoil it
and I never said "do this", I'm making suggestions, and what I'm suggestion isn't even that huge
you are sent to Colorado to find a new ranger base, what's wrong with me suggesting you use the people and resources you find up there to actually build a good ranger base?

Highwayman667 wrote:
October 16th, 2018, 4:22 pm
Not to get off topic but I thought we started playing as that one guy and then we build our squad.
I'm reading and seeing as little as possible about WL3, because spoilers, so I don't know what the intro is going to be and I don't want to know until I can play it myself

what I had
were thoughts
not stating facts
thoughts on how it would work

and having a skippable intro tutourial with one pre-created ranger squad, showing you how the game mechanics work, and then getting ambushed and being 99% destroyed? followed by him finding a pre-war militairy facility or bunker or whatever, and using the radio to call in aid, prompting Vargas to send Squad November, your first mission being finding the origin point of the SoS? finding the crippled guy, helping him set up the base, installing him as radio man?
that would work

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » October 17th, 2018, 9:26 am

fuzzyballs01 wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 4:29 am
Grohal wrote:
turns out I actually pledged the game and forgot about it, so I'm going to be playing it
don't spoil it
and I never said "do this", I'm making suggestions, and what I'm suggestion isn't even that huge
you are sent to Colorado to find a new ranger base, what's wrong with me suggesting you use the people and resources you find up there to actually build a good ranger base?

I think you misunderstood me. Sorry for that - again: Nothing wrong with your suggestions - I even wrote I like some (even most) of your ideas in my first post. ;)

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » October 17th, 2018, 11:26 pm

fuzzyballs01 wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 4:29 am
Grohal wrote:
Would love for you to throw your impressions into the General forum. I am a little bit interested in Kingmaker(Despite RTwP), but hearing its very buggy at the moment.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!