Energy Weapons

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

draxdeveloper
Initiate

Energy Weapons

Post by draxdeveloper » July 8th, 2018, 3:14 pm

So, i saw another discussion about energy weapons saying that not all energy weapons are based on electricity. And i agree with this, so to me would be nice to have another solution: More damage types with armor having resistance/weakness like: plasma, laser, electricity, ballistic, fire (maybe ice? I would love a ice gun). And maybe cutting, blunting piercing (maybe). Different damage types can have chances to apply status (even if it's a small one).
This would be a more realistic approach... And don't need to have all those types, plasma can be similar to laser.
Now, i know that you probably have made all important game design decisions, but here is something that always bothered me, the energy weapons skill.
Not just in wasteland, but in games like fallout, the thing is, we have skills like one handed weapons and two handed weapons inf fallout or more detailed like shotguns,sniper,assault rifle, etc... In WL2. in both cases we are talking about weapon handling (don't know a better word for that). Now, in energy weapons we have energy weapons that are like pistols, sniper rifles and assault rifles (and in some game we even have heavy energy weapons).
But don't matter the way you handle the energy weapon, you always use just one skill.
Now, i don't know a good and elegant way to solve this, but here is a thought, i call this grid weapon system.
Weapons have two skills associated with it: Handling skill (like being a shotgun, a sniper rifle) and tech or source skill (like being a high tech energy weapon or a ballistic weapon)
The main issue with this system is that you would have to account two skills for a weapon, this is harder to balance (but maybe you can make each of then count as half skill in cost and efficiency, or maybe it would have different applications to the weapon)
In the case of WL3, we would have 2 weapon tech skills: ballistic and energy (or high tech)

Mole204
Scholar

Re: Energy Weapons

Post by Mole204 » July 13th, 2018, 12:37 am

I always got the rifle type weapons mixed up with the energy weapon, because there are always energy weapons that should qualify for more than one category. Was the skills points adjustable downwards or am I remembering something else? It was good that it had that, if it had that. :P

I'm hoping for a few different energy weapons. One apex, like the plasma rifle was in WL2, and a few bizarre ones. Of course the Nancies are going to have a Regan RayGun, right? Ronald Raygun? President RayGun? Whatever, it's Project Morningstar's problem.
Not to mention the text entries. You blast the raider into quarkian gravel. You send the Mailed Wolf's torso into subatomic distress. You heat the Threshing Crawler into muon jelly.

Carib
Initiate

Post by Carib » July 19th, 2018, 4:49 pm

I would like to see the plasma rifle from the Terminator movies.Image
"I believe in gunpowder and dynamite!"

sear
Developer

Post by sear » July 20th, 2018, 5:39 am

Carib wrote:
July 19th, 2018, 4:49 pm
I definitely didn't just forward that to the guy who's making our weapons right now.

Mole204
Scholar

Post by Mole204 » July 26th, 2018, 12:05 am

The "Westinghouse Plasma Bullpup"'s main draw is the zappy FX bolts, which were very cool on the big screen. There's that divide again between "cool weapon effects" and "we don't need ANY weapon effects, switch it off and shave more time off the total combat time."
At it's core, an energy weapon is a way of turning electricity into bullets. To sci-fi plasma (which is a real thing, look it up) is just something to crumple up and shoot at people- or robots. I hope wl3 has a proper shootout against some boxy '50s robots. Why use energy weapons on meat-enemies, after all? And that's not taking into consideration wl2's "the best anti-energy armor is bare skin" mixup.
If we ever get enough publicly-available parts, people are just going to start making Ghostbuster proton packs out of backpacks and vacuum cleaners.
The biggest problem with a game having plenty of energy weapons is that the player is going to have only three categories: the one I need, the one I got, and everything else which is junk items. I wonder if there's going to be stock items, or unique items to be found in the Patriarch's Vaults?
-
"We're being shot at! Take cover!"
"We have energy weapons! Let's attack!"
"I don't think you can pistol-whip him with your unloaded Buck Rogers replica ray-gun from here."
-
One you look closely at the Bullpup, you start seeing all the bits and pieces that the props people threw together for it.
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-50DXSdA4L1c/ ... Bchart.jpg
-
An astronaut capable of employing Kraut Space Magic, understands more than you could possible know.

unkle
Initiate

Post by unkle » August 5th, 2018, 9:43 pm

RAIL GUNS RAIL GUNS RAIL GUNS =D

Erianerson
Initiate

Post by Erianerson » August 14th, 2018, 7:24 pm

sear wrote:
July 20th, 2018, 5:39 am
Carib wrote:
July 19th, 2018, 4:49 pm
I definitely didn't just forward that to the guy who's making our weapons right now.

It would be even cooler if arnold was using AA12 instead of stakeout type shotgun at the helipad scene

Highwayman667
Initiate

Post by Highwayman667 » October 5th, 2018, 3:17 pm

I don't know how excited I can be about energy weapons in WL3. They were dull as fuck in WL2 and rather ineffective.

At least heavy weapons fell good and tore the enemies apart.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 5th, 2018, 3:36 pm

Largely because everyone insisted on every weapon class being viable throughout the game. I'd far prefer WL1's more linear progression.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Ranger Ghost
Novice

Post by Ranger Ghost » October 5th, 2018, 9:30 pm

I really don't like the "two skills for a weapon" idea, please no.

It will be Assault Rifles for everyone, as usual. :twisted: