WL3 Writer Colin McComb leaves inXile Entertainment

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

D-D
Acolyte

WL3 Writer Colin McComb leaves inXile Entertainment

Post by D-D » May 10th, 2018, 2:05 am

Maybe he's been hired by Larian too?

bokkie
Novice

Re: WL3 Writer Colin McComb leaves inXile Entertainment

Post by bokkie » May 10th, 2018, 2:48 am

Wasn't the idea with multiple teams that when people were done on one project, they could transition to the following project? I can understand his work might be done on this project ofcourse.

D-D
Acolyte

Post by D-D » May 10th, 2018, 3:07 am

inXile teams are

Bt4, nearly done
Wl3, writers done and leaving company
Multiplayer Surivival Game, how many writers does it need?

Jozape
Explorer

Post by Jozape » May 10th, 2018, 6:29 am

D-D wrote:
May 10th, 2018, 2:05 am
Maybe he's been hired by Larian too?
Would be a good excuse to get out of Detroit. Then again there are countless excuses to get out of Detroit.

Good luck and I hope you return to RPGs at some point.

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » May 10th, 2018, 7:44 am

bokkie wrote:
May 10th, 2018, 2:48 am
Wasn't the idea with multiple teams that when people were done on one project, they could transition to the following project? I can understand his work might be done on this project ofcourse.
That's pretty much it right there - WL3 hit the point where writers either transitioned to other projects within the company or took the opportunity to land other gigs. Both Colin and Gavin did awesome work on WL3. For the remainder of production, we still have other writers for any pick-ups or revisions that might be needed, including WL2 narrative lead Nathan Long.

Mole204
Scholar

Post by Mole204 » May 10th, 2018, 10:15 pm

Huh, Colin, another one of the Torment and WL2 game designers from the Fig Campaign video.
I hope you find another posting that suits you. And I hope that (in WL3) we can steal that boat in your legacy!
Did the programmers remember to leave a robot in the Outer Detroit Ring addressed to him?

D-D
Acolyte

Post by D-D » May 15th, 2018, 4:01 pm

Colin has also joined Larian.

Do Larian have the torment licence, I wonder...

ogi79
Acolyte

Post by ogi79 » May 16th, 2018, 1:37 am

Hey! Whats going on ?? Now Colin left .. ohh mann... hope this is not tip of the iceberg

ogi79
Acolyte

Post by ogi79 » May 16th, 2018, 3:38 am

update: dont worry people !

Colin McComb
‏ @ColinMcComb
11m11 minutes ago
Replying to @0gnjen

Everything's fine and friendly!

With Wasteland reaching a specific milestone, I took the opportunity to look around. Larian had a project I wanted to work on and a team I wanted to work with, that's all. Wasteland is moving ahead steadily, and so far it's looking quite good.

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » May 16th, 2018, 8:21 am

I'm not worried for WL3, since most of the writing is probably done by now.

I'm a bit more worried for the future of inXile, I hope they'll still make story-based RPGs like WL2/TToN/WL3, and if they don't have many writers left...

undecaf
Explorer

Post by undecaf » May 16th, 2018, 10:36 am

kilobug wrote:
May 16th, 2018, 8:21 am
I'm a bit more worried for the future of inXile, I hope they'll still make story-based RPGs like WL2/TToN/WL3, and if they don't have many writers left...
Two writers won't rock the boat to much, I'm sure. And mayhap it is also a good thing. Too many cooks and all that. And it could actually be refreshing if they took a bit more subtle expression to their story and dialog, and put even more focus on in-game reactivity and narrative openness, both on the immediate and long term levels. Like, I don't mean to have "less" dialog nor "less" expressive ways to say things (on the contrary, actually), just less of the feeling that I'm being fed text just for the sake of it. Some things could well be left up for interpretation rather than being meticulously spelled out through paragraph after paragraph of flavor prose.

I.e. Fallout never felt like I was having a pause in the game to scale through a wall of text.
"A human being in his last extremity IS a bag of shit."

D-D
Acolyte

Post by D-D » May 16th, 2018, 2:51 pm

Message from Collin:
I’m happy to announce that I’m working with Larian Studios (makers of the excellent Divinity: Original Sin 2, among a host of other titles) as a senior narrative designer. The new project is really cool, the team is awesome, and they’re fully committed to making the best possible game. I am really, really excited to show it off (when the time is right).

For those curious or concerned: I finished my alpha work on Wasteland 3 (and found a little extra time for some revisions) before turning over my files. I parted on amicable terms, and I legitimately hope that the game does well. I wish everyone on the team the very best, with the hopes that we work together again someday. (also, I’m still damn proud of the work we did on Torment)