New update ETA?

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Post Reply
ogi79
Acolyte
Posts: 79
Joined: September 23rd, 2014, 12:52 pm
Location: Banjaluka - Republic Of Srpska

New update ETA?

Post by ogi79 » April 22nd, 2017, 3:49 am

Does anyone knows when to expect new update about W3 developlment ?

User avatar
sear
Developer
Posts: 2500
Joined: March 21st, 2012, 8:30 am

Re: New update ETA?

Post by sear » April 24th, 2017, 9:04 am

Soon!

User avatar
Grohal
Adventurer
Posts: 886
Joined: April 26th, 2013, 9:51 pm

Re: New update ETA?

Post by Grohal » April 24th, 2017, 9:48 am

Wuhu! :D
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

ogi79
Acolyte
Posts: 79
Joined: September 23rd, 2014, 12:52 pm
Location: Banjaluka - Republic Of Srpska

Re: New update ETA?

Post by ogi79 » April 24th, 2017, 1:01 pm

YEY! :D

ztemplarz
Initiate
Posts: 5
Joined: February 17th, 2017, 3:57 pm

Re: New update ETA?

Post by ztemplarz » August 27th, 2017, 1:05 pm

?

User avatar
sear
Developer
Posts: 2500
Joined: March 21st, 2012, 8:30 am

Re: New update ETA?

Post by sear » September 6th, 2017, 10:54 am

ztemplarz wrote:
August 27th, 2017, 1:05 pm
?
sear wrote:
April 24th, 2017, 9:04 am
Soon!

User avatar
Grohal
Adventurer
Posts: 886
Joined: April 26th, 2013, 9:51 pm

Re: New update ETA?

Post by Grohal » September 6th, 2017, 12:35 pm

Good, waiting. :D
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

User avatar
undecaf
Explorer
Posts: 378
Joined: March 6th, 2012, 5:48 am

Re: New update ETA?

Post by undecaf » September 11th, 2017, 3:38 am

This place is almost as lively as a graveyard.

I wonder how soon is soon over what it was a week ago... Sooner? Soonerer? Soonererer?
"A human being in his last extremity IS a bag of shit."

User avatar
phimseto
Developer
Posts: 287
Joined: April 18th, 2012, 7:01 am

Re: New update ETA?

Post by phimseto » September 11th, 2017, 1:04 pm

We're putting the update together now, with an eye toward releasing it next week.

User avatar
Grohal
Adventurer
Posts: 886
Joined: April 26th, 2013, 9:51 pm

Re: New update ETA?

Post by Grohal » September 12th, 2017, 3:24 am

Thanks for the info.
I hope the next update will put some more flesh to the bone. :)
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

User avatar
undecaf
Explorer
Posts: 378
Joined: March 6th, 2012, 5:48 am

Re: New update ETA?

Post by undecaf » September 12th, 2017, 6:07 am

Would be neat if there was a few words on the stuff that has bothered people about the charactersystems and party management, and the "speedy trunbased combat".

Wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more.
"A human being in his last extremity IS a bag of shit."

User avatar
Gizmo
Grandmaster
Posts: 2933
Joined: March 6th, 2012, 6:25 am

Re: New update ETA?

Post by Gizmo » September 12th, 2017, 8:47 am

I know what'cha mean.

User avatar
phimseto
Developer
Posts: 287
Joined: April 18th, 2012, 7:01 am

Re: New update ETA?

Post by phimseto » September 14th, 2017, 9:24 am

That stuff will certainly be talked about, but at a later date.

User avatar
sear
Developer
Posts: 2500
Joined: March 21st, 2012, 8:30 am

Re: New update ETA?

Post by sear » September 14th, 2017, 12:38 pm

undecaf wrote:
September 12th, 2017, 6:07 am
Would be neat if there was a few words on the stuff that has bothered people about the charactersystems and party management, and the "speedy trunbased combat".

Wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more.
To expand on what phimseto said, we're in deep in the process of building out and implementing our game systems, starting from Wasteland 2: Director's Cut and expanding from there. Obviously you can expect your share of locks to pick, computers to hack, guns to shoot, thugs to intimidate, and much more, but the exact details are still being worked out. Story, quests, and level design are things we have to lock down fairly early and inform many of the later decisions, so that's a big reason why the recent updates have been focused on the foundations of the game content.

Backers will absolutely have the chance to give feedback on the game as it progresses, and many of our decisions and plans have already been informed by both that feedback, as well as the reception and discussion around Wasteland 2. At the same time, we would be doing a disservice to you all to show too much, too early. The game is still two years away, and we will be iterating, polishing and improving for many months to come.

Keeping the community informed is at least one person's full-time responsibility, and we always try to do our best in getting info out there. Many of our backer updates are planned out weeks or months in advance to sync up with our production schedule, so our backers are among the first people outside the studio to see the game as development progresses. You can rest assured that you will hear more about gameplay mechanics closer to alpha as more and more of those become playable and get fleshed out. :)

User avatar
Gizmo
Grandmaster
Posts: 2933
Joined: March 6th, 2012, 6:25 am

Re: New update ETA?

Post by Gizmo » September 14th, 2017, 1:36 pm

Wasteland and Bard's Tale had prominent facial animation, and it's a fair bet that Fallout did because Wasteland did; and where Fallout had an improved/evolved version of the dialog interface. It was (I considered) a big part of the presentation of each series, and a big expectation (of mine) for ALL three of these series sequels, was to have that again, as an evolved version of the predecessor, in the same way as Fallout's own improvement upon Wasteland. It didn't happen with FO3 or WL2, but it would be well appreciated if it happens in BT4 and WL3.

Dialog in these games should (hopefully) be able to use the entire polygon-budget; unless the gameworld doesn't pause for conversation. Assuming it does (one would hope), I would very much like to see the same kind of relative increase in detail between game-sprite (model in this case), and the NPC's head & shoulders, when seen up close face to face; just as in Fallout, and (to an extent) in Wasteland before it.

Example:
Image

Image

This didn't happen in FO3, because they used the same models for both; when they probably could have had character heads like this:
Image

User avatar
undecaf
Explorer
Posts: 378
Joined: March 6th, 2012, 5:48 am

Re: New update ETA?

Post by undecaf » September 16th, 2017, 6:12 am

sear wrote:
September 14th, 2017, 12:38 pm
undecaf wrote:
September 12th, 2017, 6:07 am
Would be neat if there was a few words on the stuff that has bothered people about the charactersystems and party management, and the "speedy trunbased combat".

Wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more.
To expand on what phimseto said, we're in deep in the process of building out and implementing our game systems, starting from Wasteland 2: Director's Cut and expanding from there. Obviously you can expect your share of locks to pick, computers to hack, guns to shoot, thugs to intimidate, and much more, but the exact details are still being worked out. Story, quests, and level design are things we have to lock down fairly early and inform many of the later decisions, so that's a big reason why the recent updates have been focused on the foundations of the game content.

Backers will absolutely have the chance to give feedback on the game as it progresses, and many of our decisions and plans have already been informed by both that feedback, as well as the reception and discussion around Wasteland 2. At the same time, we would be doing a disservice to you all to show too much, too early. The game is still two years away, and we will be iterating, polishing and improving for many months to come.

Keeping the community informed is at least one person's full-time responsibility, and we always try to do our best in getting info out there. Many of our backer updates are planned out weeks or months in advance to sync up with our production schedule, so our backers are among the first people outside the studio to see the game as development progresses. You can rest assured that you will hear more about gameplay mechanics closer to alpha as more and more of those become playable and get fleshed out. :)
Good enough response I suppose, cheers for opening up a bit. I don't think anyone requires minute details about systems at this point (I don't at least). But things were implied in an interview that caused some concerns about streamlining, which you know has been all too common an occurence with RPG's for some years, and my idea was to ask it opened up a bit what the intent and general direction is that made those things relevant enough to be said, and in hopes that that line of thought is not taken overboard when there's room to replace rather than remove. That's all.

(By the way, more than lockpicking and hacking and the more conventional stuff that's already likely to be there by the numbers, I'm more concerned about stuff that might've not been around before for what ever reason like a skill for such not existing, or not used to a better potential, like field surgeoning hospital patients and stuff like that, but I'm sure you guys were aware of that stuff already.)
"A human being in his last extremity IS a bag of shit."

User avatar
Grohal
Adventurer
Posts: 886
Joined: April 26th, 2013, 9:51 pm

Re: New update ETA?

Post by Grohal » September 25th, 2017, 11:54 pm

phimseto wrote:
September 11th, 2017, 1:04 pm
We're putting the update together now, with an eye toward releasing it next week.
So as last week was missed - will it be this week or more like next week? :)
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

User avatar
phimseto
Developer
Posts: 287
Joined: April 18th, 2012, 7:01 am

Re: New update ETA?

Post by phimseto » September 26th, 2017, 8:48 am

It's in review!

User avatar
Grohal
Adventurer
Posts: 886
Joined: April 26th, 2013, 9:51 pm

Re: New update ETA?

Post by Grohal » September 26th, 2017, 12:13 pm

phimseto wrote:
September 26th, 2017, 8:48 am
It's in review!
Thanks for the fast reply. :)
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests