TON flickers on MacBook

If you need assistance with a technical issue, this forum is for you. Specifically for help with Torment: ToN itself. Spoilers are allowed, but spoiler warning tags are recommended.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

mbaetge
Initiate

TON flickers on MacBook

Post by mbaetge » November 19th, 2017, 12:48 am

Hi I have the AppStore version of TON running on my MacBook (not MacBook Pro).

While it was running initially, I did not get into playing through the game. I have returned now, but the game flickers during playing when I move the pointer. Anything that I can do? I have already reinstalled the game.

Here is the configuration I run:

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2016)
1,2 GHz Intel Core m5
Intel HD Graphics 515 1536 MB

Darthus
Initiate

Re: TON flickers on MacBook

Post by Darthus » December 24th, 2017, 9:16 pm

I am having a similar (the same?) issue. I'm running High Sierra on a 2017 Macbook pro (non-touchbar) 13 inch, and I can load into the game ok, but when I do, the screen flickers wildly and I can't do anything. I can still move the mouse and click on Exit to Desktop (if I can find it), but the graphics flicker and don't update.

I've tried different resolutions, windowed/fullscreen, using a command line to "-force-d3d9", disabling anti-aliasing, nothing makes a difference. In fact until I am able to quit the game, my entire Macbook has the same flickered graphics.

I sent in a support request to Inxile through a support ticket and never got a response. I'm surprised at this, this appears to be a problem on every Mac (at least on High Sierra), from hearing multiple others say they experience it, but there's no response from them. Perhaps they've just stopped supporting the game and moved on?

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » December 25th, 2017, 12:42 am

I don't think Intel graphics are officially supported, so that might explain it, AFAIK only AMD/Nvidia cards are officially supported.

There might be some workaround but having no Mac I can't say much... apart that Mac should use the OpenGL not the D3D rendered, so better look at -force-glcore options than -force-d3d9 ones. Good luck !

Darthus
Initiate

Post by Darthus » December 25th, 2017, 10:22 pm

kilobug wrote:
December 25th, 2017, 12:42 am
I don't think Intel graphics are officially supported, so that might explain it, AFAIK only AMD/Nvidia cards are officially supported.

There might be some workaround but having no Mac I can't say much... apart that Mac should use the OpenGL not the D3D rendered, so better look at -force-glcore options than -force-d3d9 ones. Good luck !
Thanks for the reply! I tried bot -force-glcore and -force-glcore45 and neither had an effect, but it sounds like you might be saying to just try different cores?

I just noticed a new thing. If I scrolls the screen away from my party, the graphics issues fix. It seems it's an issue with displaying the 3d models of my characters, which would imply an issue with the game and my Intel 640 Iris GPU.

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » December 26th, 2017, 1:29 am

You could try by forcing lower versions of OpenGL like -force-glcore42 or -force-glcore33 or even -force-glcore32. The "core" means "OpenGL core profile", which is something defined in the OpenGL spec (basically a "core profile" is an OpenGL revision, say 4.2 or 4.5 or 3.3, with no additional extensions, and no deprecated features).

I'll give it a try on Linux laptop (which has an Intel GPU) and see if it's Mac specific or if it happens there too (and then if I can find a workaround).

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » December 27th, 2017, 1:21 am

So I tried on my Linux laptop with an Intel GPU, and it does work (slowly, but it's an i3 so was expected). If the -force-glcoreXX options don't help, I fear there is not much to do but wait and hope that a later version of the graphical driver fixes the issue... maybe a Mac wizard could give other tricks, but I'm not one sorry.

spurll
Initiate

Post by spurll » March 13th, 2018, 10:54 am

I'm having the same issue. The game is totally unplayable. I'd been looking forward to playing this for a long time, and the fact that I can't is very disappointing.