Skill Modifiers Not Calculating Correctly

If you need assistance with a technical issue, this forum is for you. Specifically for help with Torment: ToN itself. Spoilers are allowed, but spoiler warning tags are recommended.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Ennui777
Initiate

Skill Modifiers Not Calculating Correctly

Post by Ennui777 » October 15th, 2017, 4:33 am

I played through the game when it was released without this problem. On my current playthrough, after arriving to the Bloom, all the skill checks are miscalculated. For example, the base difficulty of a persuasion check is 0% and I have have several modifiers such as inspired (5%), 1 edge (20%), trained in persuasion (15%). Total modifiers are 40% but the game still shows only 5%. If I add more effort, the total modifier goes to 120%, but I am still shown 85%.

There's other people with the same issue on Steam:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/272270/d ... ?l=swedish

One of them reported the problem on the 9th of August and there is still no fix.

When exactly will this be resolved? It's a game breaking bug. Is there are workaround?

vv221
Forum Moderator

Re: Skill Modifiers Not Calculating Correctly

Post by vv221 » October 15th, 2017, 6:36 am

Maybe there is a bug in calculation, or maybe this is a bug in display and what you see as 0% is actually -35% or something like that. This would explain why it happens only later in the game, when skill checks need to be more difficult.

I don’t know if there is an easy way to check this.

Serjo
Explorer

Post by Serjo » October 18th, 2017, 4:32 am

Ennui777 wrote:
October 15th, 2017, 4:33 am
One of them reported the problem on the 9th of August and there is still no fix.

When exactly will this be resolved? It's a game breaking bug. Is there are workaround?
Another patch seems unlikely at present. Wasteland 2:DC still has bigger issues (plot stoppers on consoles, broken weapon stripping) that were never fixed.

If you need a solution, your best bet is to dig into the game files and try to find the problem yourself.

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » October 18th, 2017, 5:49 pm

Had the same thing. It was inconvenient, but honestly at this point my party had nigh-game breaking bonuses and effort, so wrong numbers didn't change a lot, so I reported it and ignored, as much as could.
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None

Ennui777
Initiate

Post by Ennui777 » October 19th, 2017, 11:34 am

Well, that's disappointing. Guess I will never play Tides again since it's unlikely that this will ever get resolved.

It's fine, though. I still enjoy PS:T much more and will just continue to play it once per year or two. Haven't actually tried the Enhanced Edition. Also, I find the Bloom to be utterly gross and I am no fan of that area. The constant depiction of misery there gets to me as well. Wish they would have just focused on the Oasis instead.

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » October 19th, 2017, 2:35 pm

Don't you have the same problem with Hive, though?

P.S. It's not as critical if you like the writing.
Torment is a good short stories collection, but is a game... it is in dire need of polish, even if you're experiencing any game-stopping bugs.
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None