Please support Steam Cloud save games!!

If you need assistance with a technical issue, this forum is for you. Specifically for help with Torment: ToN itself. Spoilers are allowed, but spoiler warning tags are recommended.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

robbo007
Initiate

Please support Steam Cloud save games!!

Post by robbo007 » September 26th, 2017, 2:28 am

Hi,
Could you please implement steam cloud save games for the PC/MAC versions of TTON? I play it a lot on my laptop then when I have time move to my desktop. Its a hassle to copy the save game files every-time. Its a basic feature that should be enabled always.

Cheers,

Serjo
Explorer

Re: Please support Steam Cloud save games!!

Post by Serjo » September 26th, 2017, 2:26 pm

I don't think we're getting any more patches, let alone additional features.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » September 26th, 2017, 2:48 pm

Why not just make a junction of your save folder to a folder in your Dropbox folder; let Dropbox sync all of your games?

Doing that... I can have 'cloud-saves' on anything. I have cloud saves on SSI Gold-Box games (despite being dosbox emulation); they update between sessions on tablets, lap-tops, and my desktop.

*The method I use is simple; (but obviously one does this at their own risk); and one should ensure that all installations of the game be of the same patch version. I recommend reading about file system junctions before creating any.

I made a 'Saved Games' folder in my Dropbox folder, and inside that I make a folder for a given game's save files (like DKK for 'Death Knights of Krynn). Then I move the game's save files to the game folder in Drop Box (in this case: dropbox\save games\DKK), After they are safely moved, I delete the original (now empty) saved game folder from where it was (noting its exact name, for the next step), and open a Windows command prompt in that directory.

Then I type into the command prompt:
mklink /D "original save game folder name" "The Path to your Dropbox folder / saves"

Example for Death Knights of Krynn:
mklink /D "SAVE" "C:\Games\Dropbox\Save Games\DKK"

This creates a directory junction in the game's folder with the name "SAVE". When the game retrieves the contents of "SAVE", it is given the contents of the folder DKK, in the Dropbox folder. Dropbox itself will keep its folders in sync with the cloud.

robbo007
Initiate

Post by robbo007 » October 29th, 2017, 11:09 am

A real shame there will be no more updates. Cloud saves via steam are a must and pretty much every game supports them.

Inxile should maintain their games a little better. Its only been out for a short time and they took a lot of cash of us for the kickstarter.

I'll check out the dropbox way. Good idea for other MSDOS gaming on multiple machines.

Cheers,

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » October 29th, 2017, 3:16 pm

While I haven't tried it myself ~yet, quite a lot of games use the 'My Games' folder. If you have one (in your documents folder), that would seem like a good candidate for a junction folder; provided you have enough space on Dropbox to hold every game's save files. If not... then inside the 'my Games' folder can have junction folders for any game that doesn't support cloud saves.