Torment Patch 1.1.0 Release Notes

If you need assistance with a technical issue, this forum is for you. Specifically for help with Torment: ToN itself. Spoilers are allowed, but spoiler warning tags are recommended.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

phimseto
Developer

Torment Patch 1.1.0 Release Notes

Post by phimseto » May 16th, 2017, 10:49 am

Today inXile is pleased to announce the release of the Servant of the Tides update for Torment: Tides of Numenera! This update is now live on Steam, and will be coming to GOG and other stores very soon.

This update - which is also packed in with our 1.1.0 patch - brings Oom, a brand-new companion with its own unique questline, plus additional features including the Voluminous Codex, game balance updates, and more!

Those of you playing the game on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 need also not fear - the content and fixes are currently in the certification process and will be making their way to those platforms in the near future!

A quick notice: Our strong recommendation is to start a brand-new playthrough to experience these improvements, as the new content is best experienced from the start of the game (and Oom must be added to the party during Sagus Cliffs). If you are immersing yourself into Torment for the first time, you don’t have anything to worry about there.

Highlights
  • New Companion: Oom. Oom is a new stretch goal character who you will discover on your journey through the Ninth World. Oom features its own companion quest, "Servant of the Tides", its own unique abilities for use in combat and exploration, and interactions with various characters throughout the game.
  • Added the Voluminous Codex. This new stretch goal feature unlocks lore and character entries as you explore the game world.
  • Added a new user interface element to the Inventory Screen which makes it easier to view companion attitudes toward the Last Castoff.
  • Added a new user interface element to the Common Panel which better messages the Last Castoff's current Legacy.
  • Various balance improvements to Crisis gameplay throughout the game.
  • Various balance improvements to exploration gameplay, especially in the later stages of the game.
  • Cypher Sickness initialization is now delayed until after Equipment initialization. This should prevent issues where loading a save file where equipment was preventing a cypher explosion would cause input to freeze up.
  • Remove all non-gameplay Fettles from companions when they're removed from the party. This should prevent certain freezes from occurring.
  • Players can now advance to Tier 5 and Tier 6, allowing players to spend their Experience Points more in the later game. This also allows the Last Castoff to gain abilities from other character types.
  • Added zoom in/out key binding to the Options Menu. This allows players without mouse wheels to remap the zoom functions.
  • Numerous small UI fixes.
  • Numerous small quest fixes.
Full patch notes here: https://torment.inxile-entertainment.co ... view&id=66

waltc
Scholar

Re: Torment Patch 1.1.0 Release Notes

Post by waltc » May 16th, 2017, 7:10 pm

Phimseto,

I posted in the other thread, but this is where I ought to post, I think. You said you had to refer me to Steam, but Steam refers me back to you...;) So here I am... :D I am certain you are delighted...

I am upset in a major fashion at the moment--Steam is suddenly telling me that my OS (WIN10x64) is *not supported* and that the Tides no longer supports My OS--WIn10x64--except I have been playing on Win10x64 Insider builds, now on 16193, since the first day the game hit Steam. Without incident.

I have validated the files, deleted and downloaded and installed the game again--and am getting the same result. All of my other games are working fine on this build as far as I know. I have been gaming for 30 years + and I've never seen an error like this--not from Steam, not from anywhere. 1.01 and 1.02 ran fine.

Any ideas?

Wanted to add that Win10x64 itself also tells me that it's not a Windows 10 app with this warning: "This app cannot run on your PC". No override is offered. Rebooting did not help, which was not surprising. My other Steam games all run fine.

I want to make it very easy for you guys to check quickly to see if I have the correct version installed.

1) I have a WIN directory inside the main directory
2) Inside the WIN folder I also have a TidesofNumenera_Data folder, which is 9.47GB in size according to Windows, and these two files:
A) The TidesofNumenera.exe is 21,125KB in size, and the File version number from Properties/Details is 5.4.1.22651; product version is 5.4.1.1792123
B)Steam_api64.dll

This should certainly be enough information to tell me if the correct version is installed or not. The last step I took was to reenter my Steam Key at which point Steam informed me that I already owned the game and then proceeded to verify--again--the game files. All files verified, again. The game was originally installed as a Windows game when it was first made available on Steam--and it looks to me like it still might be the Windows version--or else it isn't--in which case I do need to know...;) Hopefully, this is enough information to tell me that.

Looking forward to hearing from you! Thanks again...;)

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » May 17th, 2017, 6:19 am

Hello walt,

That is the right version - I run Win10 64-bit myself and have that version, just checked and it launches for me. So the issue seems to be that despite it being the right version, Steam believes your OS does not match. Is Steam up to date? Also, are you running it in any kind of compatibility mode?

This advice is kind of based on googling the issue as it's a new one to me, but: other than re-starting Steam or re-installing Steam or the game, you could try launching both Steam and Torment in Admin mode (right-click the .exe, Run as Administrator), or even try to run Torment in a compatibility mode (right-click, properties, Compatibility, set Compatibility mode to Windows 8).

If nothing helps, please reach out to support to figure out a way around this issue.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

waltc
Scholar

Post by waltc » May 17th, 2017, 7:02 am

Brother None wrote:
May 17th, 2017, 6:19 am
Hello walt,

That is the right version - I run Win10 64-bit myself and have that version, just checked and it launches for me. So the issue seems to be that despite it being the right version, Steam believes your OS does not match. Is Steam up to date? Also, are you running it in any kind of compatibility mode?

This advice is kind of based on googling the issue as it's a new one to me, but: other than re-starting Steam or re-installing Steam or the game, you could try launching both Steam and Torment in Admin mode (right-click the .exe, Run as Administrator), or even try to run Torment in a compatibility mode (right-click, properties, Compatibility, set Compatibility mode to Windows 8).

If nothing helps, please reach out to support to figure out a way around this issue.
Thanks so much! Very strange! I've never seen this before, either! I will email support--weird. All of my other Steam games run fine under Win10x64 build 16193--strange all around!

Wanted to add that I've got a request in with inXile and with Steam, now--so hopefully we can get this sorted! Yes, I've tried running in Admin--and with all of my other Steam Library games there is no problem. I'm wondering if for some reason Steam installed the console version...

Update: After an entire afternoon spent troubleshooting yesterday, I tried something I wish I had done first--I downloaded the game to my wife's 15063.296 build of Windows10x64 (the commercially released "Creator's Update")--and what do you know--it fired up perfectly!

I'm 99% sure at this point that the problem lies within the Insider's builds Microsoft has published since then--I am now on build 16199 (installed yesterday) Insider's of Win10x64--and I cannot run the file. I even copied the game executable from the wife's machine and brought it over to my machine and replaced the original game executable--and no go! So the cause is not file corruption.

So....although the problem is one I have never seen before nor had happen before, I'm sure it is on *my end* and that the current Windows Insider builds are to blame for the faux incompatibility...I have reported this to Steam and also to Microsoft in the Insider's Feedback application! This one has been a doozy. Having said all of this, if anyone who reads this is running 16199 and Tides 1.1.0--please let me know...so I can move back to square one...!

Also wanted to add that in the "known issues" section for build 16199, I read the following:

Games such as Civilization VI may fail to launch on this build.

Of course, as luck would have it I don't have Civ VI, but I'll make the wild leap that Tides is "a game such as Civ VI" in some respect, somehow...;) I have no clue as to what Microsoft means by that phrase...! (I must love beta-testing...! Hopefully, that doesn't mean I'm a sadomasochist...!)

Update #2: In narrowing the issue down further, it seems the issue involves the "Game Modes" that Microsoft began in the Creator's Update, and it seems that many more games are affected than just Tides--although, atm, the only game I have that is affected in this way is Tides. What's happening is that "Game Mode" is attaching dll's to the games as they are are started---you can plainly see them with process hacker, and a couple of other debuggers. Investigated in Win10 Feedback and many, many people have been bringing this to Microsoft's attention--the really bad facet to all of this is that even when you turn off the Game Mode and the other assorted features there--the dlls still load! It almost looks as if Microsoft is trying to turn people's PC's into xboxen--something I have a feeling won't be accepted very well at all...;) Here's hoping they correct this in the next build!

Update #3 The latest insider build 16215 fixed the problem! All is well...;)