Bug: Ashen Imitation thinks an NPC has spawned that has not

If you need assistance with a technical issue, this forum is for you. Specifically for help with Torment: ToN itself. Spoilers are allowed, but spoiler warning tags are recommended.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

n8sh
Initiate

Bug: Ashen Imitation thinks an NPC has spawned that has not

Post by n8sh » March 3rd, 2017, 9:30 pm

I have met all 4 of the girls.
In their part of the Labyrinth the ghostly woman now says: "Talk to him." She points at the gloomy man.
There is no man. From screenshots of other people's games I see that the ghostly man is supposed to be in front of the machine, but he is nowhere. No name appears when I press tab either.

Poganin
Initiate

Re: Bug: Ashen Imitation thinks an NPC has spawned that has not

Post by Poganin » March 4th, 2017, 3:27 am

There are actually 5 women: the flute-playing girl and Loss-of-Self in Cliff's Edge, an official in the Government District, one of the Dendra O'Hur, and a dead girl you chance upon in the desperate sculptor side quest.

n8sh
Initiate

Post by n8sh » March 4th, 2017, 4:05 am

Ah I see. Regardless, I was still getting an odd message about talking to a guy who was supposed to be there but was not. I started a new game and this time I didn't have the problem: I talked to the same 4 people, and this time the ghostly man spawned as other people report.

The difference is that in the first run I let Avina keep the puzzle box since I had used the Tides to anchor Seria to my Labyrinth. In the second run I used the puzzle box instead of the Tides. My guess is that this might have been what made the difference.

Glaze
Initiate

Post by Glaze » March 4th, 2017, 4:14 am

Exact same problem here. I talked to the 5 girls, none appeared in the labyrinth (except Seria) and the "ghostly man" is not there either next to the machine.

I also used the Tides on Seria so it may be the cause of the bug.

20h into the game, restarting isn't an option...

Poganin
Initiate

Post by Poganin » March 4th, 2017, 4:25 am

I "materialised" Seria by giving her the black box. No issue with the quest here. So it's possible that using the Tides breaks something.

CuddleBunny
Initiate

Post by CuddleBunny » March 5th, 2017, 4:36 am

I've spoken to/unlocked all the women in the quest. In the Labyrinth, I have the burning house scene, and I got the exploding black woman, and I got the daughter in the main labyrinth room (where the exploding black woman was), but I don't see anything next to the machine (where the ghostly man should be). I see the ghost-woman, and she mentions a man, but I can't see him.

I spoke to the cultists by the collapsed house. They told me the orphans have the box. I have already completed "The Sorrow's Prey." The two actual siblings mention that Avina has the box, but when I speak to Avina, there is no dialog option mentioning a box.

HarveyNorman
Initiate

Post by HarveyNorman » March 7th, 2017, 4:08 am

No ghostly man in my case too. I was not able to go further to the right of ghostly woman either ( seen some screenshots that has this new place) Found all the girls and none of them appear beside the machine. Do we need to get really drunk to see the ghostly man? hehe...

Are we coming back here after taking the airship? That seems like a one-way ticket based on what the pilot said.

whoiscraig
Initiate

Post by whoiscraig » March 13th, 2017, 4:50 pm

I also have this quest bugged.
- I got the quest, spoke to the ghost woman, then found the five women outside affected by her
- I found the ruins, spoke to the cultist who told me the kids took some box
- Two of the kids tell me that Avina has the box but there is no dialog option to get the box from Avina at all
- No new NPC's appeared the Fathom.

I appears I have no way to advance this quest.

esest
Initiate

Post by esest » March 13th, 2017, 10:44 pm

same. found 2 women, then used tides on Siera, then found the other 3. can not complete quest. just same @the whole thread.

fix??

esest
Initiate

Post by esest » March 13th, 2017, 10:59 pm

glad to say i found a fix. possibly. it worked for me. i had an old save where 1. Siera was melted by the tides, and 2. i had found all 5 women (as per the logbook). when i hopped in the Daughter's Fathom it all went smooth. the only thing i can think that i did differently this time was to *NOT* talk to the restored Seira reflection beforehand -- and just go straight to the Daughter Fathom.

good luck guys, and i hope you've been keeping multiple save states.

still a buggy mess.
Last edited by esest on March 13th, 2017, 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

esest
Initiate

Post by esest » March 13th, 2017, 11:03 pm

yeah works all right. good luck cause its a nice treat with all 5 women. never had more than 4 before. am not talking to *restored* Seira reflection at all until i wrap this quest up and into the completed pile.

decumos
Initiate

Post by decumos » March 25th, 2017, 5:21 am

Is there any fix for people who talked to Seira and cannot roll back game progress? A console command or anything of that nature?

promet
Initiate

Post by promet » March 25th, 2017, 7:46 pm

Having this issue as well...

HarveyNorman
Initiate

Post by HarveyNorman » March 31st, 2017, 10:37 pm

Well, looks like the patch didn't fix this issue. guess I need to restart the game! :evil:

Ribbon_Parfait
Initiate

Post by Ribbon_Parfait » April 17th, 2017, 7:59 am

Still an issue on 4/17. I have all 5 women, but I didn't find the puzzle box (I choose to drag the woman in without it and she burst into blood) however the ghostly NPC does give me the "Talk to the him" dialog so I think the quest should progress regardless of the choices I made to get here (assuming the choices don't make me fail the quest). But as with you guys the Ghostly Man NPC isn't there even though the woman thinks he is.

I'm not starting over or rolling back at this point (24 hours in) especially if I don't know if the bug is fixed. I hope when they do fix it I can finish the quest but more likely I will have to catch it in another walkthrough. oh well

gunsakimbo
Initiate

Post by gunsakimbo » April 22nd, 2017, 10:46 pm

Same bug here... loading back that far is not an option.
I did also use the Tidal Surge on the woman in my mind realm to bring her back.

Any fix incoming?
I'm playing on PS4 (though I have collector edition backer for PC, just prefer playing console)

emudoug
Initiate

Post by emudoug » May 7th, 2017, 5:52 pm

I also had the exact same issue. I'd really appreciate some feedback on this one, not finishing this quest is killing me.

CuddleBunny
Initiate

Post by CuddleBunny » May 17th, 2017, 1:21 am

Did this get fixed in the most recent update?

emudoug
Initiate

Post by emudoug » May 17th, 2017, 2:32 pm

It doesn't seem so. It would be great to get some official response for this.

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » May 17th, 2017, 5:47 pm

Looking into it.

EDIT: Hey all, if you are still having problems even after using older, pre-getting the quest saves, please submit those saves here: https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilter/? ... om/support