Unofficial bug tracker on GitHub

If you need assistance with a technical issue, this forum is for you. Specifically for help with Torment: ToN itself. Spoilers are allowed, but spoiler warning tags are recommended.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

vv221
Forum Moderator

Unofficial bug tracker on GitHub

Post by vv221 » March 3rd, 2017, 2:35 am

Following shmerl advice, I opened an unofficial bug tracker for T:ToN on GitHub:
https://github.com/tton-bugs-hunters/tt ... ker/issues

Please still post your issues in the forum, and provide a link to the thread in the bug tracker.

I’ll try to keep the bug tracker tidy and well organized, but any help on this side would still be appreciated:
_try not to post duplicates in the tracker, there is a search function to avoid this
_no need for "me too!" posts in the tracker, they will be more useful on the forum
_any help maintaining the bug tracker from people having a bit of free time to spare would be welcome, contact me if you’re interested

Keep in mind that I’m not affiliated with inXile in any way, this is *unofficial*!

shmerl
Acolyte

Re: Unofficial bug tracker on GitHub

Post by shmerl » March 3rd, 2017, 9:09 am

Thanks @vv221! I hope inXile developers will find it useful and will participate in it. You should probably make this thread sticky, so more forum users would see it.

Some section about how to report bugs should be useful too on the main repo page. I suppose one from this thread can be used as a start.

Though it should be adapted, to address different OS versions, as well as DRM-free ones (it now only references Steam + Windows). For example, on Linux, GOG version stores logs in:

Code: Select all

$HOME/.config/unity3d/InXile Entertainment/Torment/Player.log

shmerl
Acolyte

Post by shmerl » March 3rd, 2017, 9:33 am

Example:

Unofficial community bug tracker for Torment: Tides of Numenera.

How to report bugs.

1. Please specify your OS in the bug description. For example: [Linux] Loading freeze and impossible interactions (locale-related)
2. Post the link to the bug in the technical support forum.
3. The following information would help developers greatly in resolving it or tracking it down:

* System configuration.
Linux: Distribution, desktop environment, kernel, graphics hardware and driver
MacOS: ...
Windows: DxDiag report. Go to Start -> Run "dxdiag", and click "Save All Information", then save DxDiag.txt to a location on your computer (for more instructions on how to use DxDiag: http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/d/dxdiag.htm).
* Screenshot demonstrating the problem, if there is any sort of error message, etc.

* What you were doing in the game when your issue occurred (like starting it, re-configuring, playing a specific quest, characters, locations, etc.).

* Game logs.
- Linux (GOG): $HOME/.config/unity3d/InXile Entertainment/Torment/Player.log
- Linux (Steam): ...
- MacOS (GOG): ...
- MacOS (Steam): ...
- Windows (GOG): ...
- Windows (Steam): <your Steam install path>\Steam\SteamApps\common\Torment Tides of Numenera\WIN\TidesOfNumenera_Data\output_log.txt

Attach the log file (please make sure this is from immediately after the issue occurs; if you restart the game afterwards, this file will be overwritten and may not contain the information we need).

* Save files, if applicable.
- Linux (GOG): $HOME/.config/unity3d/InXile Entertainment/Torment/Saves
- Linux (Steam): ...
- MacOS (GOG): ...
- MacOS (Steam): ...
- Windows (GOG): ...
- Windows (Steam): <your user folder>\AppData\LocalLow\InXile Entertainment\Torment\Saves
Last edited by shmerl on March 3rd, 2017, 10:03 am, edited 4 times in total.

shmerl
Acolyte

Post by shmerl » March 3rd, 2017, 9:41 am

I think there should be also labels per OS in the bug tracker, and once those are set, the OS name can be removed from the title to declutter things.

I can help with its maintenance when I have time.

vv221
Forum Moderator

Post by vv221 » March 3rd, 2017, 10:32 am

shmerl wrote:I can help with its maintenance when I have time.
Invitation sent on GitHub, thank you for lending a helping hand ;)

Maciej
Initiate

Post by Maciej » March 3rd, 2017, 6:26 pm

So... What is the purpose of this exactly? Running third-party bug tracker while not being a dev, not having access to the source code and not being affiliated with the project, this seems very weird to me... Will devs even acknowledge it? They certainly have their own bugtracker, there is official forum. Isn't running another bugtracker more confusing than helpful?

vv221
Forum Moderator

Post by vv221 » March 4th, 2017, 3:20 am

Maciej wrote:Will devs even acknowledge it?
Some inXile devs are already following the bug tracker ;)

I think this bug tracker is helpful as it is easier to keep clean and organized than the forum, and given its activity it is already working quite well.
We’re a couple people on this bug tracker to have some experience in software development, so we are able to help pinpoint the cause of some bugs and finding temporary workarounds.

shmerl
Acolyte

Post by shmerl » March 4th, 2017, 6:28 pm

It surely would help if developers would participate. If they won't, it would probably make sense to close the bug tracker, since it would waste people's time. But I don't see a reason why developers won't find it useful. Bug tracker is way better suitable for this kind of thing than a forum. You can attach logs there, and so on.

It worked very well for the Witcher 2 for example.

shmerl
Acolyte

Post by shmerl » March 4th, 2017, 7:36 pm

I filled in the front page. Feel free to correct it, and we need to fill in MacOS info - I don't have a Mac, so I'm not sure what it is.

Some of that stuff is probably the same (like log location for GOG and Steam versions on Linux, but I'm not using Steam, so we'd also need to confirm that).

Maciej
Initiate

Post by Maciej » March 5th, 2017, 3:37 am

shmerl wrote:Bug tracker is way better suitable for this kind of thing than a forum. You can attach logs there, and so on.
In the sense that things are better organized, yes I agree, but... The purpose of bug tracker is: well bug tracking, so how can you really confirm that specific issue is a bug if you don't have source code, tool chains, don't know the pipeline? Look at the "large cursor issue". Someone from dev team wrote that they THINK it's SDL related. Wording was careful and considered they din't said it's SDL bug, just that they have some suspicion to be SDL related. Now look at unofficial bug tracker, people immediately jumped on it. Where is it on SDL bug tracker? Why InExile didn't reported it? etc, etc... Now bug is marked as "third-party". Now did anyone reproduced it using SDL lib and confirmed it, does anyone know which versions of SDL are effected? The whole thing is based on one sentence from one dev. I don't think that this is how it should be done... Whole thing seems hastily unprofessional.

Don't get me wrong, It's very good thing that people are reporting and organizing issues with this game, but hold your horses a bit...
shmerl wrote:It worked very well for the Witcher 2 for example.
This was Linux port bug tracker, the port was made by external company not by CDP RED and port team specifically asked for feedback. Maybe it worked well, but the bottom line is that this port wasn't running very well and still isn't running well.. Maybe I'm unfair because when it comes to games and Linux nothing is really running well at least nothing that is graphically demanding, but this is a topic for whole other discussion.

vv221
Forum Moderator

Post by vv221 » March 5th, 2017, 4:19 am

Maciej wrote:Whole thing seems hastily unprofessional.
Any help is welcome to make this more "professional", and you’re welcome to an admin account on the bug tracker if you have some experience in managing this kind of thing (and if you so desire of course) ;)

Maciej
Initiate

Post by Maciej » March 5th, 2017, 12:58 pm

vv221 wrote:Any help is welcome to make this more "professional", and you’re welcome to an admin account on the bug tracker if you have some experience in managing this kind of thing (and if you so desire of course) ;)
:D Nice one! Me having admin access to bug tracker would be a bit inconsistent with what i wrote before, don't you think? Also it's to tempting to blame everything on Unity, job done. ;) Seriously though I think that ideal solution would be public bug tracker managed by developers, but I don't think that's realistic..

Of course I will help the best I can and I write here if I have something useful to add, especially with a Linux port, since Fedora is my daily driver OS, but right now I don't even have time to play the game. I played around 4-5 hours on windows and now I'm debating myself if i should start new game on Linux (i think saves are incompatible between ports) and Linux ports are generally unpredictable, we will see...

shmerl
Acolyte

Post by shmerl » March 5th, 2017, 1:42 pm

Maciej wrote:Seriously though I think that ideal solution would be public bug tracker managed by developers, but I don't think that's realistic..
The story of The Witcher 2 bug tracker was like that. It started as a purely community effort, but VP developers appreciated its effectiveness, started participating in it, and eventually the community transferred it to them, and it became official (and for the reference, their port runs pretty well today). If that would happen here as well - I'll welcome that. But to demonstrate it to developers, we need to start somewhere.

seden
Initiate

Post by seden » March 6th, 2017, 7:36 pm

How to generate a log equivalent to the dxdiag on opensuse ?

Without that information ..

shmerl
Acolyte

Post by shmerl » March 6th, 2017, 8:06 pm

seden wrote:How to generate a log equivalent to the dxdiag on opensuse ?

Without that information ..
A barebones set of things you can check:

Code: Select all

uname -a
lsb_release -a
glxinfo | grep string
lspci | grep VGA
cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep 'model name' | head -n 1
cat /proc/meminfo | grep Mem
GOG version also provides a script gog-system-report.sh which generates a detailed report.

r4plez
Initiate

Post by r4plez » March 12th, 2017, 9:22 am

Order of Truth pyramid puzzle is broken. After fail in solving riddle i came back later and there are only 2 option to interact :/

shmerl
Acolyte

Post by shmerl » March 12th, 2017, 11:33 am

r4plez wrote:Order of Truth pyramid puzzle is broken. After fail in solving riddle i came back later and there are only 2 option to interact :/
Please report it on the actual bug tracker. This thread is not for bug reports, it's for discussing bug tracker and bug submission process.

shmerl
Acolyte

Post by shmerl » March 21st, 2017, 6:08 pm

I see inXile opened a new support system here, but it doesn't have a public bug tracker, or I'm missing something? I think they should make one, or pick up our community bug tracker for that purpose.

I noticed that Beamdog did it for Baldur's Gate EE and their other games.