Malwarebytes closed TToN for being ransomware

If you need assistance with a technical issue, this forum is for you. Specifically for help with Torment: ToN itself. Spoilers are allowed, but spoiler warning tags are recommended.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

internetkill
Initiate

Malwarebytes closed TToN for being ransomware

Post by internetkill » November 29th, 2017, 4:39 pm

Hi, I was playing TToN on Steam and on my first quick load, the game closed and Malwarebytes told me it had detected and safely removed ransomware. There doesn't seem to be a report/log for this, but it definitely happened, and pointed to TToN's exe.

I can't find a single complaint about this from anyone else after searching. When I tried launching the game again immediately afterwards, it wouldn't start. The next time it did, but required a steam update first, and I haven't been able to replicate it. The only interesting bit of information I can think of is that I recently reformatted by computer, and this was my first time playing since recovering the save from the steam cloud.

Any idea what's going on with this? Should I be worried? I tried scanning and don't seem to have any ransomware. My copy of the game is legitimate (steam) and I am not using any third party addons or mods.

phimseto
Developer

Re: Malwarebytes closed TToN for being ransomware

Post by phimseto » November 30th, 2017, 11:44 am

You're ok. That sounds like the traditional problem of virus protection often times interfering with programs installing properly. It sounds like you should be good to go now.