Cursor is stuck in red X in every save

If you need assistance with a technical issue, this forum is for you. Specifically for help with Torment: ToN itself. Spoilers are allowed, but spoiler warning tags are recommended.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

SmallestFrog
Initiate

Cursor is stuck in red X in every save

Post by SmallestFrog » March 19th, 2017, 3:58 pm

Cursor is normal until I load a game and I can click through the menus.

Then it becomes a red "X" (with the circle around it) and I cannot interact with any interface part using the cursor. It's like I am in a dialog but I am not. All inventory items are greyed out and the interface is only responsive to the keyboard shortcuts.

sear
Developer

Re: Cursor is stuck in red X in every save

Post by sear » March 19th, 2017, 6:28 pm

That is extremely strange. Couple questions:

- Does this problem occur if you start a new game? Or only when loading a save?
- Have you edited your save files at all?
- Are you continuing an early access/beta save file, or did you start a new game after final release?

A few suggestions to try as well. First, you could verify your game files using Steam or GOG, in case you have a corrupt install:

https://inxile.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/art ... les-Steam-
https://inxile.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/art ... stall-GOG-

If you are on Windows, I would also recommend that you reset your game settings, especially if you previously had an alpha or beta version of Torment installed:

https://inxile.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/art ... 5004515607

skatan
Initiate

Post by skatan » March 20th, 2017, 6:23 am

Hi,

I second this error. I have no old version of alpha or beta and never had. It's a clean install from scratch. Suddenly after the cave in ascension all saves after bugs just the same as the above. One save prior to the cave is ok but all saves afterwards, and all new ones, have this same issue. So to finish the game I would have to make it all in one go without ever having to load since I would then be back at the place before the cave.

SmallestFrog
Initiate

Post by SmallestFrog » March 20th, 2017, 9:05 pm

If I start a new game, it does not happen. It eventually shows up in any file after saving though.

No

- Are you continuing an early access/beta save file, or did you start a new game after final release?

New game post release

Savings reset, problem still occurs. Can reinstall or verify cache, problem still occurs. Could something be corrupting the game state during saving?

DagonMT
Initiate

Post by DagonMT » March 21st, 2017, 9:36 am

I am having same issue beginning today. Game worked fine yesterday. Steam install, validated files did not fix. Save files emailed.

DagonMT
Initiate

Post by DagonMT » March 21st, 2017, 10:26 am

Ok I revisited my previous saves, and the bug only affects my current one and all three autosaves. Another save I made 4 days ago and others earlier than that are good. I resaved and transitioned to get a new autosave and both of those are bug free. So the files I emailed in should contain the bug.

Felyss
Initiate

Post by Felyss » March 22nd, 2017, 3:06 pm

sear wrote:That is extremely strange. Couple questions:

A few suggestions to try as well. First, you could verify your game files using Steam or GOG, in case you have a corrupt install:

https://inxile.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/art ... les-Steam-
https://inxile.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/art ... stall-GOG-

If you are on Windows, I would also recommend that you reset your game settings, especially if you previously had an alpha or beta version of Torment installed:

https://inxile.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/art ... 5004515607
I have this exact same issue. I posted on the steam forums, but I will also post here. This is what I posted in steam:

"
sear;133259956016504644 wrote:Can you guys let me know if the issue occurs even after making a new save and loading it, or transitioning to a new location?

We have an open bug on this in our tracker, and I was able to reproduce it (it seems to be caused by saving near the very edge of a scene). However, it went away on its own after I walked to a new scene.
I have this same problem. It occurred towards the end of the game in The Bloom. Everything was working fine one day and I saved the same and went to bed. When I reopened the save in the morning I wasn't able to do anything. The cursor has a perpetual red circle on it indicating I can't do anything. I'm still able to use items in my inventory (like merecasters) but if I queue up a bunch of ciphers to be used, none of them activate.

This bug will infect other saves. If I load a game immediately after I load the bugged the save, whatever save I open will have the same problem. In order to prevent this from infecting other saves, I have to completely exit the game, and load an uninfected save and play from there.

I have tried everything I can think of to fix this problem, but there is literally nothing that works and has completely halted my progress.

NOTE: I did save near the edge of a scene (map?) which is where the problem first occurred..

As other posters have noted, making a new save will result in the same exact issue. And loading a save (AFTER loading the bugged/infected save) will result in the same problem. I have no idea how a bug exists that can kill saves like that. My guess is that there's an issue in the engine somewhere and one of the background processes that's running halts somewhere. And when you load a new save, this same crashed background process is migrated over to the uninfected save, resulting in it getting corrupted too.

This has completely ruined my enjoyment of the game (I was about 20 hours in, and had done every single side quest so far) and I literally haven't played it since. I don't want to lose my progress, I just want to continue playing from my save."

To answer your other questions:

1 - It only occurs when loading a save, not a new game.
2 - I have never edited my save files or done anything to them.
3- I started the game as fresh release, including waiting until the big patch day on release day and started playing the day after

SmallestFrog
Initiate

Post by SmallestFrog » March 23rd, 2017, 12:43 am

For clarity, this bug does make the game unplayable for me.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » March 23rd, 2017, 8:44 pm

Thanks for the info, guys. Some more notes on this problem over here, but we're investigating fixes in the meantime: https://inxile.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/art ... -X-cursor-

Unfortunately, this bug looks like it can retroactively affect previous save files (I am unsure what the mechanism for this is), but a work-around if your earlier saves are not affected is to try loading one up and redistributing your cyphers such that your bonus Cypher Limit isn't preventing your party members from dying due to cypher explosions.

SmallestFrog
Initiate

Post by SmallestFrog » March 31st, 2017, 6:57 pm

Any update?

Felyss
Initiate

Post by Felyss » April 1st, 2017, 10:37 pm

I tried one of my saves with the latest patch. No dice. Still broken!

Felyss
Initiate

Post by Felyss » April 10th, 2017, 11:12 am

Just wondering if there's an update?

SmallestFrog
Initiate

Post by SmallestFrog » April 12th, 2017, 8:24 pm

Game is still unplayable for me

DagonMT
Initiate

Post by DagonMT » April 22nd, 2017, 4:14 pm

bump. Still waiting for a fix, will this be in the next patch, any eta?

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » April 22nd, 2017, 9:02 pm

Hey all, I took a look into this and as best I can tell, this is still being worked on. Wish that I had better news for you, but all I can say is that the team is doing their best to solve it.

SmallestFrog
Initiate

Post by SmallestFrog » April 23rd, 2017, 9:54 pm

Is there a console command to kill our character and dismiss all party members?

Maybe we can die and respawn and the effect will be over.

SmallestFrog
Initiate

Post by SmallestFrog » May 4th, 2017, 9:19 pm

: (

Felyss
Initiate

Post by Felyss » May 13th, 2017, 9:47 pm

SmallestFrog wrote:
May 4th, 2017, 9:19 pm
: (
I've literally just given up on playing until they fix it lol. I check the forums every week or two just to see if there has been any progress on fixing it...

DagonMT
Initiate

Post by DagonMT » May 15th, 2017, 11:39 am

Yeah, I have moved on but still check every once in a while. To be essentially told "delete all your saves, start over, and don't do that again" is not exactly a positive resolution to the problem!

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » May 15th, 2017, 3:28 pm

The core issue behind the "red X" has been fixed and will be included in the (very soon to be released) next patch. However, it's possible that the fix is retroactive - meaning that broken, post-bug saves won't be fixed. You can try it out, but the safer route after the patch hits is to reload a save before the bug triggered in your respective games.