Is it hard to get Red/Gold Castoff?

Check here to discuss Torment's gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Firkraag
Adventurer

Is it hard to get Red/Gold Castoff?

Post by Firkraag » May 30th, 2017, 10:46 pm

How would you suggest playing the game to get such pair?

Considering, that my current Castoff is Gold/Blue (though I feel like it actually should be Gold/Blue/Indigo, though there is no such position) I have a a general feeling, how to get Gold (as it's ridiculously overpresent in the game), but how to balance out the Red, without scewering the Gold Tide, I have no idea.

How the calculation formula works exactly, BTW?
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None

kilobug
Adventurer

Re: Is it hard to get Red/Gold Castoff?

Post by kilobug » May 31st, 2017, 12:47 am

Firkraag wrote:
May 30th, 2017, 10:46 pm
How would you suggest playing the game to get such pair?
I finished the game twice, and twice ended up with a combination of Gold and Blue (Gold/Blue first, Blue/Gold second...), so I don't really know if it's my playstyle or if those two Tides are well over-represented. So sorry can't help you much getting Red... although I'll try another playthrough as a Glaive, maybe this time I'll get more Red ;)
Firkraag wrote:
May 30th, 2017, 10:46 pm
How the calculation formula works exactly, BTW?
From my understanding (but I might be wrong), you only ever gain points toward a Tide by selecting answers/doing things, answer X will give +5 Red, answer Y +8 Gold, ... And then the score of your Tides are compared, if one is sufficiently ahead of all others you get a "pure Tide", else you get the top two of your Tides. But it would be nice to have a more detailed answer from developers (or someone who reverse engineered the code, or whatever :p).

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » May 31st, 2017, 1:49 am

But what if you have three Tides tied (or one dominant and two close behind), for example? How will the game determine which two are dominant?

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » May 31st, 2017, 4:00 am

Firkraag wrote:
May 31st, 2017, 1:49 am
But what if you have three Tides tied (or one dominant and two close behind), for example? How will the game determine which two are dominant?
If you've one dominant and two close behind, you'll only get the dominant Tide (so, like it happened to me once, I was Blue/Gold, then selected a Silver answer, and went to pure Blue, since the Silver raised close enough to the Gold). You need a sufficient (but I don't know how big) gap between the #2 and the #3 to get two Tides.

What happens if you no dominating Tide at all, that I don't know. Initially it was planned for a Grey Legacy when you have no dominant Tide at all, but I don't know if that was implemented.

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » May 31st, 2017, 3:08 pm

kilobug wrote:
May 31st, 2017, 4:00 am
What happens if you no dominating Tide at all, that I don't know. Initially it was planned for a Grey Legacy when you have no dominant Tide at all, but I don't know if that was implemented.
As far as I remember, Idealist is still in the game. You start with it. I'm not sure if it's possible to retain it throughout the game, though.