Regarding Foci

Check here to discuss Torment's gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Post Reply
User avatar
Lord of Riva
Adventurer
Posts: 964
Joined: October 14th, 2014, 10:18 am

Regarding Foci

Post by Lord of Riva » May 12th, 2017, 2:47 am

As we now have a dedicated community manager i hope i can get questions answered from InXile relating to the foci in game which have not been answered:

1. There were more than 3 foci in the game in the first beta, why were they cut?

2. Do you plan to add more foci with the content patch you are planning? If not, why not?

3. Does InXile realise that this is a major issue or were the foci cut because they werent seen as relevant?

4. Why go with Foci that are nearly identical to the classes of normal RPGs?

5. Even if you realised that ressources were spent and it was unrealistic to intregrate all the foci you planned at the start why didnt you make a unique focus like "who is the last castoff" or something that incorporated all of these three classes (or something else, it would have definitely saved work compared to the original planned foci ?

User avatar
Lord of Riva
Adventurer
Posts: 964
Joined: October 14th, 2014, 10:18 am

Re: Regarding Foci

Post by Lord of Riva » May 16th, 2017, 10:34 am

well 3 was partially answered i guess...

User avatar
Lord of Riva
Adventurer
Posts: 964
Joined: October 14th, 2014, 10:18 am

Re: Regarding Foci

Post by Lord of Riva » May 18th, 2017, 11:58 am

thats what i thought *sigh*

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=17038

great that questions are now answered, thanks.

User avatar
phimseto
Developer
Posts: 701
Joined: April 18th, 2012, 7:01 am

Re: Regarding Foci

Post by phimseto » May 18th, 2017, 2:09 pm

Sorry, Riva. I did look into this, but we aren't in a position right now to talk about what may or may not be included in any future plans. As for why they were "cut," my understanding is that this isn't true. There were only ever three foci for the Last Castoff in any builds of the game.

User avatar
Lord of Riva
Adventurer
Posts: 964
Joined: October 14th, 2014, 10:18 am

Re: Regarding Foci

Post by Lord of Riva » May 18th, 2017, 3:28 pm

phimseto wrote:
May 18th, 2017, 2:09 pm
Sorry, Riva. I did look into this, but we aren't in a position right now to talk about what may or may not be included in any future plans. As for why they were "cut," my understanding is that this isn't true. There were only ever three foci for the Last Castoff in any builds of the game.
even if you say so, I do know they were in, sadly i did not make a screenshot but the first beta featured two more placeholder foci (with varying degrees of art and functionality).

The thing is that this wasnt meant as an complaint, i am really interested as to why. the the most interesting questions were the other 3 and sadly those you did not try to answer. If the Designers, coders or whoever you ask wont tell, cant tell or simply dont have time for boring question like these thats fine, im merely interested. just tell me if thats the case and i wont bother further.

Even if they had not been in i would love to understand what the underlying reason was to have these 3 foci and not one compared to the games spiritual predecessor?

Again, this is not meant to get a "confession" out of someone. im interested in the design reasons or even more the reality of game development so please do not feel the need to defend, because i sincerely wasnt trying to attack :D

Even though, seemingly, i lack the qualities of a diplomat i have worked in this industry before and i am actually not only kickstarting games for the gameplay value but also because im really interested in the development, so please, i ask again to share anything regarding this matter that you can.

i know you said sorry but this wasnt really a personal matter this does not need an apology* however a "im looking into this" or "we cant say" or something goes a long way, it doesnt even have to be positive. please take this as feedback, rather than a complaint.

*Im german, therefore i do not understand the intricacies of small talk :P . If i step on any ones toes its most likely me being more direct than most people are used to, its genetic (its not but dont tell anyone, i like this excuse :lol: )

Dork Mage
Scholar
Posts: 178
Joined: May 13th, 2013, 5:58 pm

Re: Regarding Foci

Post by Dork Mage » May 19th, 2017, 9:19 pm

Lord of Riva applies +1 effort

User avatar
Lord of Riva
Adventurer
Posts: 964
Joined: October 14th, 2014, 10:18 am

Re: Regarding Foci

Post by Lord of Riva » May 20th, 2017, 6:52 am

Dork Mage wrote:
May 19th, 2017, 9:19 pm
Lord of Riva applies +1 effort
now we just have see if its a success :D

User avatar
phimseto
Developer
Posts: 701
Joined: April 18th, 2012, 7:01 am

Re: Regarding Foci

Post by phimseto » May 21st, 2017, 4:09 pm

Hi Riva, after further conversation, there really isn't an in-depth answer to give. It boils down to Game Design 101 - tons of iteration, considerations, discussion, debate, and at the end of the day, they went with a system that they felt best worked for the game. As for what the future holds, I can't really comment on that.

Also, I don't know that I saw your particular comments in the survey (there have been quite a few respondants, to say the least), but I am sure it was helpful and it will be seen by the dev team.

User avatar
Lord of Riva
Adventurer
Posts: 964
Joined: October 14th, 2014, 10:18 am

Re: Regarding Foci

Post by Lord of Riva » May 21st, 2017, 9:44 pm

phimseto wrote:
May 21st, 2017, 4:09 pm
Hi Riva, after further conversation, there really isn't an in-depth answer to give. It boils down to Game Design 101 - tons of iteration, considerations, discussion, debate, and at the end of the day, they went with a system that they felt best worked for the game. As for what the future holds, I can't really comment on that.

Also, I don't know that I saw your particular comments in the survey (there have been quite a few respondants, to say the least), but I am sure it was helpful and it will be seen by the dev team.
Well okay, fair enough. That with the survey was a joke btw ... :D

thanks for taking your time

User avatar
Crosmando
Supreme Jerk
Posts: 5127
Joined: January 3rd, 2013, 8:48 am

Re: Regarding Foci

Post by Crosmando » May 24th, 2017, 3:25 am

I haven't played this game yet, but I am guessing Foci are basically skills?
Matthias did nothing wrong!

User avatar
vv221
Forum Moderator
Posts: 599
Joined: April 10th, 2013, 6:43 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Regarding Foci

Post by vv221 » May 24th, 2017, 10:31 am

Crosmando wrote:
May 24th, 2017, 3:25 am
I haven't played this game yet, but I am guessing Foci are basically skills?
It’s more akin to a class-like permanent boost to some of your abilities.

jsaving
Novice
Posts: 30
Joined: March 29th, 2017, 6:17 pm

Re: Regarding Foci

Post by jsaving » May 24th, 2017, 6:05 pm

Foci are ways for characters to differentiate themselves from other people who have the same class. Power-wise, they're typically more impactful than 3rd edition D&D feats but less impactful than 5th edition D&D paths/subclasses.

User avatar
Lord of Riva
Adventurer
Posts: 964
Joined: October 14th, 2014, 10:18 am

Re: Regarding Foci

Post by Lord of Riva » May 25th, 2017, 4:59 am

jsaving wrote:
May 24th, 2017, 6:05 pm
Foci are ways for characters to differentiate themselves from other people who have the same class. Power-wise, they're typically more impactful than 3rd edition D&D feats but less impactful than 5th edition D&D paths/subclasses.
jsaving is basically right, they are normally (in P&P) pretty impactful, they can make your character to a Lycanthrope, always burning, phasing through dimensions, able to modify flesh like metal etc.

That means while you can be a Glaive which is a melee/fighter character its vastly different as someone who modifies himself akin to cybernetics or to hurt others by melting their skin. To a glaive that hurls fireballs around or vanishes into the shadows.

In TTON however its more like VV221 says they are somewhat impactful on the skills you already have.
The cynic in me would say they are completely irrelevant as most abilities you get from your focus are practically irrelevant. While i never got really an answer in case anyone wants to know what they should choose, i can only say choose your class, its the only thing that matters in the long run, additionally the nano is the best choice for the game due to its high intellect. *shrug*

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests