Interesting discovery: The clock can be fixed after breaking it

Check here to discuss Torment's gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Valrog
Novice

Interesting discovery: The clock can be fixed after breaking it

Post by Valrog » May 5th, 2017, 1:14 am

After breaking the clock, you can attempt to fix it with a Lore:Mystical + Intelligence check!

This is the clue I got afterwards:
A glowing, viscous fluid flows up from the ground to the top of a chamber inside the device. Sifting through the synth shards, you find pieces ofa
filigreed grating - diamonds within diamonds. It has been shattered into several pieces by your blow, making the remnants hard to find. Fixtures around the sides of the chamber suggest that the grating was attached in the midst of the fluid, perhaps as some sort of sieve.

The grating is too shattered to fix, but perhaps you could find a replacement.
and
A circinate symbol is etched inside of the chamber like a maker's mark. You commit it to memory.
This could open up a whole lot of great options! We would be able to turn the day to night, free the Nychthemeron, and then fix the clock, which would still allow us to convince the Cultists that we're the Changing God without using Tidal Surge!

How do we replace the grating?
Last edited by Valrog on May 5th, 2017, 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Valrog
Novice

Re: Interesting discovery: The clock can be fixed after breaking it

Post by Valrog » May 5th, 2017, 10:14 am

I hope this isn't one of those unimplemented things :(

It would be good if one of the developers could confirm if it's implemented or not.

Valrog
Novice

Post by Valrog » May 5th, 2017, 11:56 am

I got it. I inspected the machine in the North West, next to the Genocide. It gave me a Fractal Lattice. I replaced the grating with it.

After entering the clock and leaving, I got the option to interact with it. I then was able to use a Tidal Surge to move it back into daytime. I now have the option to change the time in Circus Manor from day to night and back by removing or re-inserting the Fractal Lattice. There doesn't seem to be a point to doing this (other than selling the Fractal Lattice after convincing the Cultists that I'm the Changing God), but it's possible.

I wish I could have fixed it without using Tidal Affinity, though. The stupid bug with Tol Maguur doesn't allow me to fight her without losing Tidal Affinity in Sagus Cliffs.

Still, I'm very pleased that I was able to discover something new after playing for quite a while. I trust that InXile will fix the bug with Tol Maguur soon.

Dork Mage
Scholar

Post by Dork Mage » May 7th, 2017, 2:57 pm

Had no problem persuading Tol to teach tidal affinity while keeping/protecting Rhin. Did this twice now - Nano and Jack.

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » May 8th, 2017, 8:23 am

Gotta admit: I missed this when I played the game! Nice find!

Valrog
Novice

Post by Valrog » May 9th, 2017, 8:57 am

Valrog
Novice

Post by Valrog » May 9th, 2017, 9:08 am

Dork Mage wrote:
May 7th, 2017, 2:57 pm
Had no problem persuading Tol to teach tidal affinity while keeping/protecting Rhin. Did this twice now - Nano and Jack.
Yes, but you have to plead with the slaver who kidnapped your adopted daughter, offer Tybir as a prostitute, and allow her to attack you with Tidal Affinity and insult you heavily in order to free Rhin. What kind of hero accepts that?

The game allows you to fight and teach the slaver a very good lesson, and still get the Tidal Affinity skill from her. If you tattoo an insult or threat on her body, or even leave it alone, she's supposed to respawn. Perhaps even if you toss her body into the river, there's a possibility that she survives. It's only if you hack it up that she's not supposed to recover. But the bug prevents her from spawning once you kill her.

It really is the worst bug in the game, because it forces you into choosing between a very undesirable and insulting option or losing the excellent role-playing options that come with Tidal Affinity in a large part of the game.

jsaving
Novice

Post by jsaving » May 9th, 2017, 2:17 pm

It seems very much in keeping with the original PS:T that you sometimes receive better rewards by taking the non-heroic path (reading the Grimoire of Pestilential Thought, offering a companion to the PIllar of Skulls, etc). Heroism doesn't seem especially heroic if no sacrifices are required to do the right thing.

That said, my understanding in this particular instance is that the devs did intend for Tol to respawn.

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » May 30th, 2017, 10:29 pm

Interestingly, getting to fix a clock was one of the very first things I did in the city, while talking to slaver - one of the last things I did in Sagus.
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None

rapsam2003
Initiate

Post by rapsam2003 » July 25th, 2017, 1:33 pm

Valrog wrote:
May 9th, 2017, 9:08 am
Dork Mage wrote:
May 7th, 2017, 2:57 pm
Yes, but you have to plead with the slaver who kidnapped your adopted daughter, offer Tybir as a prostitute, and allow her to attack you with Tidal Affinity and insult you heavily in order to free Rhin. What kind of hero accepts that?
Who said the TLC is necessarily a hero?... :lol: