How do you get past the Abykos in the Buried Crossroads without combat?

Check here to discuss Torment's gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Valrog
Novice

How do you get past the Abykos in the Buried Crossroads without combat?

Post by Valrog » April 14th, 2017, 7:51 am

Every encounter in Torment:Tides of Numenera has a solution that doesn't require combat.

I focused the mirrors on the creatures to reveal the Abykos. They want something to eat.

I have only 3 dialogue options at this point:

"Stay back. I have no food for you here."

"I don't want to hurt you. Return to your realm."

"Leave this place or die."

If I don't give them something to eat, they attack and I have to kill them. As I don't have anything to offer them, I can't avoid combat.

What can I offer them to avoid combat?

jsaving
Novice

Re: How do you get past the Abykos in the Buried Crossroads without combat?

Post by jsaving » April 14th, 2017, 1:10 pm

Valrog wrote:
April 14th, 2017, 7:51 am
Every encounter in Torment:Tides of Numenera has a solution that doesn't require combat.
That would be neat but can anyone confirm it is true in the final version of the game? Anyway, I too wanted to solve this one without combat but couldn't find anything in Sagus Cliffs that the abykos would accept as food.

Hawke64
Novice

Post by Hawke64 » April 15th, 2017, 3:33 am

Well, you don't have to summon Abykos (the two/three useful things to get from the mirror are the Bronze Sphere, +1 to Intellect, and teleport to Circus Minor). Answering the question, they want sticha eggs (heard it on the Steam forum, but haven't checked personally).

Valrog
Novice

Post by Valrog » April 15th, 2017, 2:34 pm

Hawke64 wrote:
April 15th, 2017, 3:33 am
Well, you don't have to summon Abykos (the two/three useful things to get from the mirror are the Bronze Sphere, +1 to Intellect, and teleport to Circus Minor). Answering the question, they want sticha eggs (heard it on the Steam forum, but haven't checked personally).
If that's true, it seems like a serious mismatch. In the peaceful path, you don't steal the sticha eggs, but use diplomacy to resolve the problem. A character that wants to avoid killing the abykos wouldn't have invaded the stichas' home and stolen their eggs to blackmail them.

That's, of course, unless there's a peaceful way to get the eggs (hiding and stealing them). But stealing their eggs and feeding them to the abykos still seems seriously out-of-character for the pacifist path.

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » April 16th, 2017, 12:28 am

Valrog wrote:
April 15th, 2017, 2:34 pm
That's, of course, unless there's a peaceful way to get the eggs (hiding and stealing them). But stealing their eggs and feeding them to the abykos still seems seriously out-of-character for the pacifist path.
But wouldn't be summoning the abykos out-of-character too ? If you want to be a pacifist, part of it is knowing when not to look for trouble.

Valrog
Novice

Post by Valrog » April 26th, 2017, 9:51 am

You don't "summon" the Abykos. When you focus the mirror on them, they spawn. You don't know in advance what will happen.

Hawke64
Novice

Post by Hawke64 » April 27th, 2017, 9:43 am

There's a warning, if you have Anamnesis at Trained level or higher, something saying that the mirrors may be dangerous.