Glaive that Breathes Shadows?

Check here to discuss Torment's gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

mentaltyranny
Initiate

Glaive that Breathes Shadows?

Post by mentaltyranny » April 10th, 2017, 9:05 pm

I know that Glaives are supposed to take Masters Defense, but has anyone tried a speed Glaive the Breathes Shadow? I have only just completed Sagus, but Masters Defense just seems so redundant with Tyber and Aligrin so defensively capable, albeit Rhin needs protection. I am saving Callistege, Malkana, and Etteris for a second Nano that Speaks with Silver Tongue playthough.

I would really like to know if anyone has had experience with a Glaive that Breathes shadow before I restart. I don't want to waste my time if the mechanics don't mess together. I am thinking about playing a Cautious (Speed) Glaive that Breathes Shadows to take advantage of the Stealth, but I am concerned about the initiative penalty and if I would be too weak when LC must be solo. Could anyone please give me some thoughts?

kilobug
Adventurer

Re: Glaive that Breathes Shadows?

Post by kilobug » April 11th, 2017, 12:52 am

mentaltyranny wrote:
April 10th, 2017, 9:05 pm
I know that Glaives are supposed to take Masters Defense, but has anyone tried a speed Glaive the Breathes Shadow?
Well, not really - you are supposed to be able to do any Type/Focus combination.
mentaltyranny wrote:
April 10th, 2017, 9:05 pm
I am concerned about the initiative penalty and if I would be too weak when LC must be solo. Could anyone please give me some thoughts?
From my own experience the game is actually quite easy, and there are very few challenges you have to do in solo. So go ahead, do whatever you feel like playing from a RP point of view, and you should find a way to complete the game, even if it means using a bit more of Cypher than usual.

Valrog
Novice

Re: Glaive that Breathes Shadows?

Post by Valrog » May 5th, 2017, 9:57 am

Unless you're doing battles solo, it doesn't matter. As a group, you can defeat anything unless you're shaping all characters to be pacifist non-combatant discoverers/persuaders.

I have one character who's nearly unkillable. He slaughtered the Nychthemeron solo, barely getting scratched without consuming cyphers or usables.

But with a party, it doesn't matter.