Comparing the game to other gems such as BG

Check here to discuss Torment's gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Malvado
Initiate

Comparing the game to other gems such as BG

Post by Malvado » April 5th, 2017, 1:36 pm

I have to be honest and say that I was really excited about this game, I had a really big hope that it would be a really good game and deliver in the terms of :

*Story.
*Rpg encounters and strategy ( like the Balldurs gate series ).
*Dialogue options and consecuences.
*Good looks and music.

My main problem is that the game is short and is lacking in almost every area, the story never reaches a point where the player is really excited about whats going on and at the end of the game I had the feeling "Is that all?".

There is very little to explore, where the original Baldurs game had a lot of maps with both small and larger combat encounters, Torment is mainly more focused on the story and "interactive elements" of the game that pushes the game forward.

The combat itself is very basic and involves very little strategy, just a few encounters might be hard due to certain problems with the combat system and how party management is not exactly present.

In fact most of my time spent in this game was by reading the story and once it sits ,I have to be honest and say that the replayability of the game hits a hard downhill, so I might probably just test out the other classes ( used jack of trades ) and see if it gives a good feeling for a full tour of the game again.

Right now its just a ok game for me personally.

To be honest it feels like it's just "half" finished...

kilobug
Adventurer

Re: Comparing the game to other gems such as BG

Post by kilobug » April 5th, 2017, 1:51 pm

Malvado wrote:
April 5th, 2017, 1:36 pm
I have to be honest and say that I was really excited about this game, I had a really big hope that it would be a really good game and deliver in the terms of :

*Story.
*Rpg encounters and strategy ( like the Balldurs gate series ).
*Dialogue options and consecuences.
*Good looks and music.
Well, in the good old Infinity Engine games, there were always three "kind" : the Icewind Dale that were all about combat and few non-combat quests/light on story, Planescape Torment that was all about story/quests/world-building and very light on combat, and Baldur's Gate that was somewhere in between. Some people preferred IWD, others BG, others PsT (personnally PsT was my favorite, BG second, and never was too fond of the IWD).

TTON is a "spiritual successor" of Planescape Torment, not of Baldur's Gate, and in that respect it did very well, IMHO - awesome world building and writing, interesting and novel quests with many solutions, weird and yet self-consistent stories, ...

Of course that's highly subjective, but on your list 4, TTON gets a very good score to me on 3 : story, dialogue, look and music - only combat/strategy is a bit lacking, but then it never was the focus.
Malvado wrote:
April 5th, 2017, 1:36 pm
There is very little to explore, where the original Baldurs game had a lot of maps with both small and larger combat encounters, Torment is mainly more focused on the story and "interactive elements" of the game that pushes the game forward.
Baldur's Gate (1 and 2) were _huge_ by any standard, you can't really compare TTON to them in that respect. But if you remove the repetitive and somewhat boring "trash mobs" from PsT, the length in term of areas to explore/quests/... of TTON is equivalent to PsT.

Malvado
Initiate

Re: Comparing the game to other gems such as BG

Post by Malvado » April 7th, 2017, 3:58 am

Kilobug :
I have to be honest and say that I personally enjoyed the old Torment more than the new one, but I tried to follow up the development of this game and my expectations where really high compared to what I thought was going to be delivered :

*An exciting story that you would revisit : Partly delivered, replayability is low for my own sake here.
*Interesting combat based on Torment and its successors ( BG, Icewind and others ) : Not delivered, combat is sincerly boring and uninspiring.

My main problem is probably that I have played a lot of roleplaying games and I have high expectations, in fact a few small publishers like Iron tower studios has acomplished with a budget way lower than Inxile, a game that both delivers in the context of story and replayability with Age of Decadence ( http://www.irontowerstudio.com/ ) , it's far away from perfect, but I honestly love that game.

For me personally Inxile was able to partially deliver on Wasteland 2 ( Which could have had a better story and a little more interesting "between characters dialogue ) so I am really hoping that they will continue to improve Torment in those aspects the game is not delivering for some of the fans ...