My 2 biggest complaints about the game.

Check here to discuss Torment's gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

MrBuzzKill
Initiate

My 2 biggest complaints about the game.

Post by MrBuzzKill » March 24th, 2017, 10:30 am

I liked the game overall, I could talk about what I liked and disliked all day, but other people already did a much better job of it, so I'll just post the two things I think really stopped the game from being great.

1. LACK OF CONTENT. And through that, lack of incentive for exploration. The game feels like a theme park or a rollercoaster, rather than a living breathing world (which ironic in the case of the Bloom). I think that's because there's simply not enough stuff going on in the game, not enough stuff to do. Many people complained about it being too short, and I agree. I wish there was some magical way to do a Baldur's Gate 2-type follow-up which would slap lots of content on top of the solid foundation, content to explore and play around in. As it is, I don't feel like returning to the world, as I feel I've already seen and experienced everything I cared to experience, and met and interacted with all the people I possibly could. Which brings me to the next point:

2. BORING COMPANIONS. For a game that clearly puts an emphasis on imaginative originality, it's very conservative when it comes to people who may actually join your party. The companions that are there are quite boring, and I don't mean they're not well-written, or don't at times evoke emotional reactions. I meant that they're all boringly human, in appearances and motivations both. Compare that to the P:T cast which had a flying skull, a crossbow-wielding TV set on legs, a living suit of armor, and a fire elemental. How friggin cool is that? Only in having been denied such wildly creative companions in this game, do I truly appreciate P:T's originality in that regard. I now realize what Colin and Adam meant by saying that including "The Toy" would require "too much custom stuff" - I'm sure it would, but it didn't stop the original Torment team, did it?

Hunbaar
Initiate

Re: My 2 biggest complaints about the game.

Post by Hunbaar » March 25th, 2017, 4:44 pm

MrBuzzKill wrote:
March 24th, 2017, 10:30 am
I liked the game overall, I could talk about what I liked and disliked all day, but other people already did a much better job of it, so I'll just post the two things I think really stopped the game from being great.

1. LACK OF CONTENT. And through that, lack of incentive for exploration. The game feels like a theme park or a rollercoaster, rather than a living breathing world (which ironic in the case of the Bloom). I think that's because there's simply not enough stuff going on in the game, not enough stuff to do. Many people complained about it being too short, and I agree. I wish there was some magical way to do a Baldur's Gate 2-type follow-up which would slap lots of content on top of the solid foundation, content to explore and play around in. As it is, I don't feel like returning to the world, as I feel I've already seen and experienced everything I cared to experience, and met and interacted with all the people I possibly could. Which brings me to the next point:

2. BORING COMPANIONS. For a game that clearly puts an emphasis on imaginative originality, it's very conservative when it comes to people who may actually join your party. The companions that are there are quite boring, and I don't mean they're not well-written, or don't at times evoke emotional reactions. I meant that they're all boringly human, in appearances and motivations both. Compare that to the P:T cast which had a flying skull, a crossbow-wielding TV set on legs, a living suit of armor, and a fire elemental. How friggin cool is that? Only in having been denied such wildly creative companions in this game, do I truly appreciate P:T's originality in that regard. I now realize what Colin and Adam meant by saying that including "The Toy" would require "too much custom stuff" - I'm sure it would, but it didn't stop the original Torment team, did it?
I kinda agree, when I reached the Bloom I said "Well now things gets interesting" then poof the game ends.

Companions were interesting in design but underwritten, "lacks content" you don't get to do anything with them perhaps except Rhin, none of them felt real anyway..

acm
Acolyte

Post by acm » March 30th, 2017, 11:48 pm

Hunbaar wrote:I kinda agree, when I reached the Bloom I said "Well now things gets interesting" then poof the game ends.
I had a big let-down moment in Miel Avest. When you enter there are four teleport pads, so I thought "four areas, enough space for the story to develop." Next thing is the bridge comes crashing down and I thought "Aargrg??!? Which part of the game didn't they cut out?" You can't even revisit Sangus, which with all art and implementation in place would be a very low-hanging fruit to pick. I mean recycling content at least is better than nothing, even if it means shoehorning the story a bit. It's not like they didn't do it everywhere else already.

MrBuzzKill
Initiate

Post by MrBuzzKill » March 31st, 2017, 3:07 am

acm wrote:
March 30th, 2017, 11:48 pm
Hunbaar wrote:I kinda agree, when I reached the Bloom I said "Well now things gets interesting" then poof the game ends.
I had a big let-down moment in Miel Avest. When you enter there are four teleport pads, so I thought "four areas, enough space for the story to develop." Next thing is the bridge comes crashing down and I thought "Aargrg??!? Which part of the game didn't they cut out?" You can't even revisit Sangus, which with all art and implementation in place would be a very low-hanging fruit to pick. I mean recycling content at least is better than nothing, even if it means shoehorning the story a bit. It's not like they didn't do it everywhere else already.
Indeed... I didnt realize it at the time, but with those portals crashing down, the possibility of a long game came toppling down as well. I mean, why tease us with the extra portals if they won't ever go anywhere? probably to create an "illusion" of depth and branching paths, which this game is quite good at.

acm
Acolyte

Post by acm » March 31st, 2017, 7:26 am

MrBuzzKill wrote:
March 31st, 2017, 3:07 am
Indeed... I didnt realize it at the time, but with those portals crashing down, the possibility of a long game came toppling down as well. I mean, why tease us with the extra portals if they won't ever go anywhere? probably to create an "illusion" of depth and branching paths, which this game is quite good at.
Like most things in the game it has probably a benign reason:
1. It was really a 4-way portal in Miel design
2. One or two areas got cut/turned to Meres, no return to Sangus ... that teleporter now looks really sad!
3. Let's trash it and use the mysterious object to teleport everyone where they need to go!