Dialogue Text Too Bright. Hurts Eyes too much to play.

Check here to discuss Torment's gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Refry
Initiate

Dialogue Text Too Bright. Hurts Eyes too much to play.

Post by Refry » March 23rd, 2017, 2:31 am

Hello Devs.I searched the forums and couldn't find this topic. Pardon me if I missed it. My feedback is the game is great. nearly perfect in every way so far, except my eyes are killing me after only five minutes of reading the overly bright, pure white, glaring dialogue text. I have played with the brightness, text size, and contrast to no avail. I would love an option to choose a text color to be a soft blue or for you guys to at least just tone down the text to a gray color, or make the text options allow us to control the brightness....really whatever cheap way you want to go about this, as long as the change makes this game playable. I really can't play the game without getting dizy and I have double-than-perfect vision, I'm thirty years old, and play dozens of games constantly. I promise this isn't me. This is the only game I've seen with such an overly bright and piercing text. My new TV is a samsung smart tv with 4k and HDR. This is the TV i'm keeping for at least 5 or 6 years and it is top of the line, so I will not be playing this on other screens. Please fix this sometime, even down the road. But I cannot play this game for more than a few minutes until this is changed. My fiancee and I love the game. It's so enthralling and stimulates the imagination just like Planscape Torment, but this has halted our enjoyment. P.S. I am a backer since June 2016, and played all of your games avidly. Thank you so much for any consideration you provide. :(

_ Kyle Remon

Jozape
Explorer

Re: Dialogue Text Too Bright. Hurts Eyes too much to play.

Post by Jozape » March 23rd, 2017, 5:29 pm

This sounds like a glitch. Dialogue text is not very bright on my regular old 2k display. What platform are you playing on?

agris
Novice

Post by agris » March 23rd, 2017, 5:52 pm

Refry wrote:
March 23rd, 2017, 2:31 am
Hello Devs.I searched the forums and couldn't find this topic. Pardon me if I missed it. My feedback is the game is great. nearly perfect in every way so far, except my eyes are killing me after only five minutes of reading the overly bright, pure white, glaring dialogue text. I have played with the brightness, text size, and contrast to no avail. I would love an option to choose a text color to be a soft blue or for you guys to at least just tone down the text to a gray color, or make the text options allow us to control the brightness....really whatever cheap way you want to go about this, as long as the change makes this game playable. I really can't play the game without getting dizy and I have double-than-perfect vision, I'm thirty years old, and play dozens of games constantly. I promise this isn't me. This is the only game I've seen with such an overly bright and piercing text. My new TV is a samsung smart tv with 4k and HDR. This is the TV i'm keeping for at least 5 or 6 years and it is top of the line, so I will not be playing this on other screens. Please fix this sometime, even down the road. But I cannot play this game for more than a few minutes until this is changed. My fiancee and I love the game. It's so enthralling and stimulates the imagination just like Planscape Torment, but this has halted our enjoyment. P.S. I am a backer since June 2016, and played all of your games avidly. Thank you so much for any consideration you provide. :(

_ Kyle Remon
Try disabling every post processing option your TV has. This includes upscale, forced HDR from a non-HDR source (like Torment) etc. The only other thing that I can think to check is that your graphics drivers are up to date- it could be the text composition routine within Unity is glitchy with your exact driver / gpu / display port combination.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » March 23rd, 2017, 8:45 pm

If the text is super-bright, maybe HDR is to blame? As others suggested, your TV might have some kind of fake HDR it tries to put on non-HDR signals which is making the text appear more intense than it should.

Refry
Initiate

Post by Refry » March 31st, 2017, 12:57 am

I'll play around with the settings and let you know. Thanks for the helpful replies.