Little bit disappointed with strategy guide...

Check here to discuss Torment's gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

GasMaskFan
Explorer

Little bit disappointed with strategy guide...

Post by GasMaskFan » March 2nd, 2017, 1:50 am

Completed the game(missed few things) and decided to check what I missed, but strategy guide doesn't really fully help with that. I mean it doesn't:

1) list all items and cyphers and detail how to get them nor detail or npcs you can do stuff with
2) list any of companion quests besides for three of them. It does allude to results of them, but without context its bit confusing
3) detail any of memories and casters you can find :/ I really wanted to know how I could have solved some of them differently and what would have been results.
The gas mask enthusiast

DireLlama
Initiate

Re: Little bit disappointed with strategy guide...

Post by DireLlama » March 2nd, 2017, 5:34 am

Yeah, I've found the guide to be completely useless. Aside from what you mentioned, some of the quests are poorly or incompletely written out - it omits some crucial information from the Circles in Red quest, for example, and the Foreman's Brood quest instructs you to give 'correct answers' to a certain character without telling you what those answers might be. Puzzles that are not part of a quest (like the pyramid artifact at the Order of Truth) aren't covered at all. On top of that, there are severe usability problems (bare-bones table of contents, no page numbers, no headers, no hyperlinks, white text on black background...)

I love the game so far, but I really regret spending extra on the guide.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » March 2nd, 2017, 9:04 am

Is it possible that some of the (correct) answers are generated individually, per-game? [...he said, hoping the answer is yes. :mrgreen: ]

IMO: SSI's strategy guides for their Legend series [EoB 1, 2 & 3] should be a required study, and format for anyone considering making a clue-book.

DireLlama
Initiate

Post by DireLlama » March 2nd, 2017, 9:21 am

Gizmo wrote:Is it possible that some of the (correct) answers are generated individually, per-game? [...he said, hoping the answer is yes. :mrgreen: ]
That's entirely possible! Let me check with the official guide! Oh wait, no, that would actually be useful information, of course it doesn't say... ;)

Dartbord
Initiate

Post by Dartbord » March 6th, 2017, 7:13 am

DireLlama wrote:Yeah, I've found the guide to be completely useless. Aside from what you mentioned, some of the quests are poorly or incompletely written out - it omits some crucial information from the Circles in Red quest, for example, and the Foreman's Brood quest instructs you to give 'correct answers' to a certain character without telling you what those answers might be. Puzzles that are not part of a quest (like the pyramid artifact at the Order of Truth) aren't covered at all. On top of that, there are severe usability problems (bare-bones table of contents, no page numbers, no headers, no hyperlinks, white text on black background...)

I love the game so far, but I really regret spending extra on the guide.
It's really a shame it's not up to the same standard as the "Pillars of Eternity" strategy guide, that looks a lot better.
I have pre-ordered the kickstarter cypher collector's edition, so I'm getting those books in there... and I guess it's nice to 'have' but it's not very ... useful.