Reviews

Check here to discuss Torment's gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Devousa
Novice

Reviews

Post by Devousa » February 25th, 2017, 1:30 pm

Looks like first reviews are coming out. Here is one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBMwCrrYxkk

It looks like the full version because there are scenes from areas which haven't been accessible in the Beta, such as the Bloom.

EDIT: Also, looks like Tybir at least has a new portrait. Or it doesn't look like the one in the Beta if I'm correct.

Serjo
Explorer

Re: Reviews

Post by Serjo » February 25th, 2017, 1:46 pm

Steamgames.ro give 8/10. They've only played through the first 20 hours, but are sure that a full playthrough would have the same level of quality.

http://steamgames.ro/torment-tides-numenera-review/

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » February 25th, 2017, 1:50 pm

great one of them is horrible the other one i dont understand :P

thanks for posting though. 8/10 Sounds around what it will be thats good enough, i feared in the beta already that it would end up there 8in the horrible depth of really good), which only makes me sad because their certainly was 10/10 potential there.

only 3 days left guys to make our own opinions :)

Lix
Acolyte

Post by Lix » February 27th, 2017, 6:27 am

play4 gives 72/100.

Review is German and on paper:

http://www.iforce.co.nz/View.aspx?i=c5csnae1.ohu.jpg
http://www.iforce.co.nz/View.aspx?i=3thlal4q.3ho.jpg
http://www.iforce.co.nz/View.aspx?i=r3j5pnqx.wjy.jpg
http://www.iforce.co.nz/View.aspx?i=ipqlryjn.jyt.jpg

Pro:

- Good Story, nearly as good as Witcher 3

Con:

- awful performance on PS4 Pro
- bad graphics even when compared to other "revival" Games; terrible character animations and poses, sterile atmosphere
- character and combat system are serviceable, but no more than that
- main story is predetermined and quest solutions are "nothing new" (reviewer warns not to believe "marketing speak" here)
- stats are badly balanced, too much power given to Intelligence chars

They confirm that there are no difficulty levels for combat.

Summary: "More of a book than a game - but a very good book."
Last edited by Lix on February 27th, 2017, 6:35 am, edited 4 times in total.

Sarotar
Initiate

Post by Sarotar » February 27th, 2017, 6:33 am

Play4 tested the PS4 version, right? So the big double minus for performance is something a PC user doesnt have to take into account.
Still, that really sucks for PS4 players. Those performance problems shouldnt be there. If that machine can run Nioh on 60 and Horizon on 30 than it can run Torment without stuttering. Thats a development problem, not a hardware one.

Serjo
Explorer

Post by Serjo » February 27th, 2017, 6:37 am

Sarotar wrote:Those performance problems shouldnt be there. If that machine can run Nioh on 60 and Horizon on 30 than it can run Torment without stuttering. Thats a development problem, not a hardware one.
A guy from inXile announced in the Kickstarter comments that the game would be capped at 30 fps on all consoles, including PS4 Pro. Even if they were to fix the stuttering issue in the release patch, it still seems like a subpar port.

Jozape
Explorer

Post by Jozape » February 27th, 2017, 6:42 am

Lix wrote:main story is predetermined and quest solutions are "nothing new" (reviewer warns not to believe "marketing speak" here)
I'm not entirely sure what this bark really means but this is the bit that worries me. The situation on the PS4 sounds as bad as some of our posters have been saying though. I'm glad I'm playing on a PC.

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » February 27th, 2017, 6:51 am

Jozape wrote:
Lix wrote:main story is predetermined and quest solutions are "nothing new" (reviewer warns not to believe "marketing speak" here)
I'm not entirely sure what this bark really means but this is the bit that worries me. The situation on the PS4 sounds as bad as some of our posters have been saying though. I'm glad I'm playing on a PC.
The reviewer says that the quest are interesting and that choices have extensive repercussions however they its not a reinvention of how quests function. (unlike the ads say)

so i do not understand it as negative lix's statement suggest

thanks for posting Lix

Jozape
Explorer

Post by Jozape » February 27th, 2017, 6:53 am

Lord of Riva wrote:
Jozape wrote:
The reviewer says that the quest are interesting and that choices have extensive repercussions however they its not a reinvention of how quests function. (unlike the ads say)

thanks for posting Lix
Thanks to both you and Lix. Do you know how they calculate their scores? 72 is extremely specific...

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » February 27th, 2017, 7:01 am

Jozape wrote:
Lord of Riva wrote:
Jozape wrote:

thanks for posting Lix
Thanks to both you and Lix. Do you know how they calculate their scores? 72 is extremely specific...
nope i tried calculating the subscores they have on the last page and get the median but that would 63. Maybe Lix can clear this up

Lix
Acolyte

Post by Lix » February 27th, 2017, 7:02 am

Lord of Riva wrote:The reviewer says that the quest are interesting and that choices have extensive repercussions

thanks for posting Lix
No, that is what he says the marketing offers ;)

The reviewer says
The marketing for Torment promises great freedom of playing, lots of decisions with extensive repercussions, and the possibility to shape the story according to your own desires. But don't let the advertising mislead you: the game really has lots of interesting quests with multiple solutions, but the wheel is not being reinvented. The cornerstones of the story are fixed. But at least you get an epilogue like in Wasteland 2 and Fallout that briefly tells you what happened to your three companions (depending how you solved their quests).

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » February 27th, 2017, 7:07 am

Lix wrote:
Lord of Riva wrote:The reviewer says that the quest are interesting and that choices have extensive repercussions

thanks for posting Lix
No, that is what he says the marketing offers ;)

The reviewer says
The marketing for Torment promises great freedom of playing, lots of decisions with extensive repercussions, and the possibility to shape the story according to your own desires. But don't let the advertising mislead you: the game really has lots of interesting quests with multiple solutions, but the wheel is not being reinvented. The cornerstones of the story are fixed. But at least you get an epilogue like in Wasteland 2 and Fallout that briefly tells you what happened to your three companions (depending how you solved their quests).
oh yes, reading fail, he does indeed.

Well he still says they are interesting and have multiple solutions so there is that.
But otherwise you are naturally right Lix.
oh boy

Serjo
Explorer

Post by Serjo » February 27th, 2017, 7:17 am

Something interesting from the "PS4 stuttering" thread:
Ross_ntu wrote:Just to clarify, I did download a significant patch before playing- several gb. The performance I am seeing is after the patch. My initial question was "is there another patch coming " or words to that effect, as from what I have read from the patch notes online - most telling bit being the addition of a continue option on the menu, which I have on my menu- I have a strong feeling I have the day one patch already.
If the PS4 version really performs like that on day one, their review scores - and sales - will be in trouble.

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » February 27th, 2017, 9:20 am

Yup. The decision to make simultaneous launch of console and PC versions might end up costing them dearly. Mainstream reviewers are lazy pricks and they will review it on the console when given a chance, and this is not only an inferior version, but also a version InXile has no control of. Your random buyer won't give a rats ass that it's Techland and not Inxile responsible for technical problem. He's just gonna see the shit scores and move along.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » February 27th, 2017, 9:48 am

IHaveHugeNick wrote:Yup. The decision to make simultaneous launch of console and PC versions might end up costing them dearly. Mainstream reviewers are lazy pricks and they will review it on the console when given a chance, and this is not only an inferior version, but also a version InXile has no control of. Your random buyer won't give a rats ass that it's Techland and not Inxile responsible for technical problem. He's just gonna see the shit scores and move along.
By doing the embargo and releasing on PC and console at the same time are they not increasing the likelihood of making the greatest number of sales before reviews have a chance to influence buyers? If they'd released on PC firsts, got shitty reviews and then released on console the results would have been worse, right? Seems to me like this is the best way to turn a quick buck. They can worry about regaining their reputation with Wasteland 3. Of course I don't know, just how it seems to me.

mavoras
Initiate

Post by mavoras » February 27th, 2017, 10:00 am

anonymous6059 wrote:
IHaveHugeNick wrote:Yup. The decision to make simultaneous launch of console and PC versions might end up costing them dearly. Mainstream reviewers are lazy pricks and they will review it on the console when given a chance, and this is not only an inferior version, but also a version InXile has no control of. Your random buyer won't give a rats ass that it's Techland and not Inxile responsible for technical problem. He's just gonna see the shit scores and move along.
By doing the embargo and releasing on PC and console at the same time are they not increasing the likelihood of making the greatest number of sales before reviews have a chance to influence buyers? If they'd released on PC firsts, got shitty reviews and then released on console the results would have been worse, right? Seems to me like this is the best way to turn a quick buck. They can worry about regaining their reputation with Wasteland 3. Of course I don't know, just how it seems to me.
Quit being so negative. The PS4 version obviously sucks. The PC version plays fine and is a very good+ RPG until the end of Sagus Cliff, where the early content stops. This one won't get negative reviews.

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » February 27th, 2017, 10:04 am

anonymous6059 wrote:
there is no "Embargo" problem here.

It would be if the reviews had to be withhold until release which they evidently havent. I see no problem here

Jozape
Explorer

Post by Jozape » February 27th, 2017, 10:04 am

anonymous6059 wrote:
I think many are basing inXile's reputation on Torment. I know I have unrealistic expectations for this game already. :lol:

I want another game like Wasteland or Planescape: Torment. Wasteland 2 was good but not as good as the aforementioned. I'm hoping Torment: Tides of Numenera is that game.

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » February 27th, 2017, 10:07 am

anonymous6059 wrote:
It's a PC game for PC crowd, if reviewers are to have optimal experience, they need to play on PC. Whatever it sells on console was always going to be just a bonus even in best case scenario, and all console profits most likely go to Techland.

Also, embargo is a standard industry practice, stop talking about it like its some nefarious scheme.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » February 27th, 2017, 10:30 am

IHaveHugeNick wrote:
anonymous6059 wrote:
It's a PC game for PC crowd, if reviewers are to have optimal experience, they need to play on PC. Whatever it sells on console was always going to be just a bonus even in best case scenario, and all console profits most likely go to Techland.

Also, embargo is a standard industry practice, stop talking about it like its some nefarious scheme.
the guys reviewing the console version do that for the console release, who is responsible does not matter. Reviews exist to inform the potential customers not to advertise for companies.

If the console version is 7/10 and the PC version 8/10 then this is fine and discernible for the people reading the reviews.

That said, a "industry standard" does not make things right. Crunch time for example is a "industry Standard" that does not mean that its good. It simply does not matter if "most people do this"

That said a review Embargo is actually a good thing since it assures that reviewers dont rush as they have a set time frame to play and write the review. Having an Embargo until release date though makes it impossible for customers to make themselves a picture of what is sold, this should clearly be criticized.

Since this did not happen here there is no point to complain about it naturally but this is a whole different reason than what you say