Indication of already selected dialogue options

Check here to discuss Torment's gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

MMOtte
Initiate

Indication of already selected dialogue options

Post by MMOtte » February 21st, 2017, 7:11 am

Why is it that dialogue choices that you have already been chosen are not greyed out or something along those lines?

Yes, I read everything and pay attention to the dialogue. But it is still nice to be able to tell what has been explored, and what is new, at a glance.

Instead of:
-*Read #1*
-"Yup, said that one already"
-*Read #2*
-"Old one, that won't do"
-*Read #3*
-"Same same"
-*Read #4*
-"Ah, finally, this one is new!"

If you highlight the new options/dim the old ones, then your eyes will immediately be drawn to what is new.

I know PS:T did not do this, but those were different times, and while a mechanical throwback is nice, a usability throwback is rarely a thrilling thing.

Pillars of Eternity did it, and since T:ToN is using the same engine, why did the developers not implement this Quality of Life feature?

kilobug
Adventurer

Re: Indication of already selected dialogue options

Post by kilobug » February 21st, 2017, 9:26 am

Part of the initial plan was that when you select the same question/answer twice, you might not have the same reaction - the NPC could become upset that you keep asking the same thing, or could now answer a question he didn't answer before because something changed in between, or ...

I'm not sure how much of it survived the cuts, but if this was kept, then it wouldn't make much sense to have identifier of already said lines.

Serjo
Explorer

Post by Serjo » February 21st, 2017, 12:06 pm

kilobug wrote:Part of the initial plan was that when you select the same question/answer twice, you might not have the same reaction - the NPC could become upset that you keep asking the same thing, or could now answer a question he didn't answer before because something changed in between, or ...

I'm not sure how much of it survived the cuts, but if this was kept, then it wouldn't make much sense to have identifier of already said lines.
Repeat questions that yield different answers don't seem to be present in the December build. Will they be in the release version? Any chance of an official word on this?

MMOtte
Initiate

Post by MMOtte » February 21st, 2017, 1:28 pm

kilobug wrote:Part of the initial plan was that when you select the same question/answer twice, you might not have the same reaction - the NPC could become upset that you keep asking the same thing, or could now answer a question he didn't answer before because something changed in between, or ...

Ah, if that is/was the case, then it of course makes sense to not give away if the reply will be new (ie "I am cross with you for bothering me with the same question over and over"), adding an element of risk to repeating the question.

But even then, you can still have an indicator to differentiate between the questions you have picked 0 times, and those you have pick 1+ times. This would not give away new information to the player, it would simply be a UX improvement by helping the player track something that they already should know.

And yes, as the other poster said, an official response to this would be appreciated.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » February 22nd, 2017, 8:51 am

This is most definitely in the game. It's one reason why the game doesn't grey out conversation options that are already picked.

Havelok_
Novice

Post by Havelok_ » February 26th, 2017, 11:08 am

sear wrote:

This is most definitely in the game. It's one reason why the game doesn't grey out conversation options that are already picked.
I'm glad I read this post, because otherwise I would have had no idea this was the case. Hopefully you guys put something in a loading screen tooltip, because this is rather unintuitive compared to the current standard in other cRPGs.