Sleep Deprivation

Check here to discuss Torment's gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Ha11eck
Initiate

Sleep Deprivation

Post by Ha11eck » February 11th, 2017, 12:16 am

SO at the start of the game there seems to be no place to sleep if you are poor.

Started a new game since the most recent patch and now find my characters with low stat pools and no way to sleep. Even the Cult of Me won't let me without double what my crew has on them. Really need a better system to handle refilling pools/resting characters. Like making it so that the places you pay to sleep at give you bonuses but at least you should be able to find a place to lay down and rest just about anywhere (like Pillars of Eternity) to refresh your character(s).

Luckmann
Acolyte

Re: Sleep Deprivation

Post by Luckmann » February 11th, 2017, 3:40 am

I believe the system is specifically meant to stop you from simply refreshing your pools, since you're more likely to always go full-out into any test if you can, because despite the fact that failing on things is supposed to be "interesting", human psychology just doesn't work like that.

Allowing you to sleep anywhere would run counter to that. It's a limitation meant to make you pace yourself, but it should probably have been communicated to the player before you get to that point, because people are going to get annoyed and frustrated not knowing the reasoning.

This is why weekly or daily paychecks was always a better idea than monthly.
“The pessimist complains about the wind;
the optimist expects it to change;
the realist adjusts the sails.”

Ha11eck
Initiate

Post by Ha11eck » February 11th, 2017, 9:08 am

Yea I can see that, game mechanics wise that is solid. Though maybe lower the price a bit on the inns and the like. This is the first time I have seen a game that would charge you for each character in your party. Would be cool to be able to send only one or two people to sleep so even if you can't afford the entire party you could at least recover individuals.

AnimalUSMC
Initiate

Post by AnimalUSMC » February 23rd, 2017, 7:42 pm

I was able to sleep for free with the Changing God Cultists. You get no rest bonus (+5 to crit) though. I'm not sure if it's because I made them think that I am the Changing God and not a castoff.

Osma7
Initiate

Post by Osma7 » March 1st, 2017, 6:37 am

Post by AnimalUSMC » February 23rd, 2017, 9:42 pm

I was able to sleep for free with the Changing God Cultists. You get no rest bonus (+5 to crit) though. I'm not sure if it's because I made them think that I am the Changing God and not a castoff.
Afaik, this is absolutely true. In all my games i have convinced the followers that i was the changing god, and i have never had to pay. That being said, unless you are willing to blast them into a stupor with your tides, you basically get exactly ONE question afterwards. The leader is suspisious and will ask you a question that requires a tidal blast to pass without loosing your "godhood."