Character Creation - Determining Verb/Foci

Check here to discuss Torment's gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

ThreeL
Initiate

Re: Character Creation - Determining Verb/Foci

Post by ThreeL » February 25th, 2017, 3:04 am

How disappointing...

Kulin
Novice

Post by Kulin » February 25th, 2017, 5:46 am

Devousa wrote:
Takkik wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgXEcypS5mA

Just look at character sheet in the video. It's PS4 footage, I don't know the version (but posted the 22/02). No mention of focus at tier 4, just "castoff" where previously you go the focus showed. So perhaps they even removed the 3 basic foci from beta and put Castoff as your focus.
If that's release version gameplay then I think it's a bit sad if descriptors and foci have been cut. :( Although even if it's a video I'd still be wary of jumping to too many conclusions. Maybe the LC just loses the descriptor and focus at some point of gameplay for gameplay purposes? We can truly only know when we see the release version next Tuesday.
The descriptors are still in. You see it in one of his videos(character creation) And there is no sign that the 3 foci have been cut.

Seems more like they have rebuilt the screen a little bit to be more dynamically for smaller UI resolutions on console/old TVs.

Devousa
Novice

Post by Devousa » February 25th, 2017, 5:51 am

Kulin wrote:
Devousa wrote:

Just look at character sheet in the video. It's PS4 footage, I don't know the version (but posted the 22/02). No mention of focus at tier 4, just "castoff" where previously you go the focus showed. So perhaps they even removed the 3 basic foci from beta and put Castoff as your focus.
If that's release version gameplay then I think it's a bit sad if descriptors and foci have been cut. :( Although even if it's a video I'd still be wary of jumping to too many conclusions. Maybe the LC just loses the descriptor and focus at some point of gameplay for gameplay purposes? We can truly only know when we see the release version next Tuesday.
The descriptors are still in. You see it in one of his videos(character creation) And there is no sign that the 3 foci have been cut.

Seems more like they have rebuilt the screen a little bit to be more dynamically for smaller UI resolutions on console/old TVs.
Ahh okay.....I admit I didn't look those videos very closely because I am trying to avoid spoilers these last few days. Admittedly it would feel weird that they would have cut something that was already in the game. At least there are plenty of descriptors in the current version which is good even if the Focus-words would end up being less prominent.

Takkik
Acolyte

Post by Takkik » February 25th, 2017, 8:04 am

on some other rares videos that show the character sheet you see the focus. Only one thing is sure, I never spotted any new focus on any preview. Mostly silver tongue.

Takkik
Acolyte

Post by Takkik » February 26th, 2017, 11:20 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_5oq4coOtE

Stream from ps4 version, will be available soon in replay. Only 3 foci in the clock quest. Look like all others foci were cut. Too bad the language wasn't in english, don't know if there was the cut dialogue from file digging that could say us if there is more later.

Kulin
Novice

Post by Kulin » February 26th, 2017, 3:56 pm

Takkik wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_5oq4coOtE

Stream from ps4 version, will be available soon in replay. Only 3 foci in the clock quest. Look like all others foci were cut. Too bad the language wasn't in english, don't know if there was the cut dialogue from file digging that could say us if there is more later.
Is still can't believe it. This decision, to leave just those 3 in, seems so disconnected and random to me. Why would anyone do something like that?

I still hope we are going to see more of them later, a bit after the beta content.

From this Dev-update is this quote:
Last is your Focus—the abilities that make your character unique. You will be able to change your Focus throughout the game (for a cost of course, though the first one's free), and you can discover and unlock additional Foci later. You'll unlock the first set in the opening quarter of the game and choose your initial Focus there. Learning about the Foci and choosing your first one will be wrapped in the narrative like Descriptor and Type.
Sounds a lot like this foci selection we see there is just the start.

Devousa
Novice

Post by Devousa » February 26th, 2017, 4:10 pm

Kulin wrote:

Is still can't believe it. This decision, to leave just those 3 in, seems so disconnected and random to me. Why would anyone do something like that?

I still hope we are going to see more of them later, a bit after the beta content.

Last is your Focus—the abilities that make your character unique. You will be able to change your Focus throughout the game (for a cost of course, though the first one's free), and you can discover and unlock additional Foci later. You'll unlock the first set in the opening quarter of the game and choose your initial Focus there. Learning about the Foci and choosing your first one will be wrapped in the narrative like Descriptor and Type.
I sincerely hope that you are right.

Grimskarson
Initiate

Post by Grimskarson » February 26th, 2017, 4:36 pm

Devousa wrote:
Kulin wrote:

Sorry but I have the game just 3 foci to choose but when you create your character you have 20 more or less description like intelligent charming

When you choose the foci your name change like intelligent persuasive nano

Stuurminator
Scholar

Post by Stuurminator » February 27th, 2017, 8:27 pm

It looks more like a testing build. It doesn't even specify glaive, jack, or nano, and I'd be extremely surprised if those were removed.

Luckmann
Acolyte

Post by Luckmann » February 28th, 2017, 2:26 pm

Grimskarson wrote:
Devousa wrote:
Kulin wrote:

Sorry but I have the game just 3 foci to choose but when you create your character you have 20 more or less description like intelligent charming

When you choose the foci your name change like intelligent persuasive nano
Descriptor is not Focus.
“The pessimist complains about the wind;
the optimist expects it to change;
the realist adjusts the sails.”

Serjo
Explorer

Post by Serjo » March 1st, 2017, 11:03 am

More infos from the game files: it seems that you were going to unlock new Foci by defeating Sorrow fragments inside your mind.
<DefaultText>With the fragment of the Sorrow gone, you feel new connections being made in your mind. It's as though the Sorrow itself were keeping you from your full potential.

{OLD TEXT; SHOULD NOT BE USED UNLESS NEW FOCI ARE UNLOCKED: It's as though the Sorrow itself were keeping you from accessing the nascent sparks of abilities buried in your mind.}</DefaultText>
All of that is disabled in the release version.

Changing your focus was also originally planned:
<DefaultText>He considers you carefully. "Your sire was a man of many talents. You're probably picking up residual memories of what he could do and building on those."

He strokes his chin. "I imagine you could change which abilities you're attuned to, though it will likely get harder each time you try to do it. Your body gets more set in its ways, you see."</DefaultText>

<Comments>After the Trainer Fathom is unlocked. SHOULD NOT PLAY because it makes reference to changing Foci (with no other useful information).</Comments>